JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

15-135 vs. 15-100
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheShanMan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: 15-135 vs. 15-100 Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide on an upgrade (last time I bought a remote there was none of this JP1.x stuff!), and I'm pretty much just trying to decide between the RS 15-135 and 15-100. Advantages and disadvantages to both before even considering the JP1 factor.

I do know I'll need to mod the 15-100, but that's no big deal (the guide to modding looks excellent!).

The one concern I have with the 15-100 is I saw some mention of not being able to program the left and exit buttons? Is this true, or was that a limitation that has been overcome? Does this limitation apply to the 135 too?

Are there any other JP1 differences between the 2 that I might want to factor into my decision?

I'd also welcome general opinions of the 2 remotes.

I already have a serial cable on order. I'm not sure how long it typically takes to arrive from Canada, but that will give me some time to finalize my decision.

EDIT: Doh! I meant 15-135, not 15-133!

Last edited by TheShanMan on Tue May 12, 2009 8:12 am; edited 2 times in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both and personally prefer the 133 for it's small size, lower price and JP1 readiness. On the other hand, the 100 is the better remote in every other regard. It's LCD is very nice to have and can display whatever text you like, and many prefer it's larger size and larger buttons (and it has more of them). You may find the small number of buttons on the 133 too limiting. From a JP1 standpoint, they are both 8 device and equally programmable, and both have a great extender.

All that being said, I think you've left out the best option, which happens to be cheaper than either remote above and is JP1 ready. It's a backlit Atlas, plentiful on ebay. I found THIS one for $8 shipped to the US. You'll have to do some more research to find one shipped to Canada. One drawback of this remote is it's only 5 device. But you can overcome this, if you have to, by using an extender and device multiplexing.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought the rS 133, 134, and 135 when each has been on sale, but I really don't like that I can't work the buttons by feel, and since there is no backlighting, I need to turn on the lights everytime I need to work the controls, and I have trouble hitting just one button because they are so small. I only use these remotes, to capture signals because I find them so difficult to work. On the plus side, they are attractive and have lots of buttons.

Quote:
I do know I'll need to mod the 15-100, but that's no big deal (the guide to modding looks excellent!).

That is too big a leap for me. I find that falling in love with remotes that need mods, when you can't do the mods yourself can be a problem. If I were going to buy pre-moded ones, I'd buy a stack of them, because its become quite clear to me that switching remotes gives me nothing but grief. Since in the JP1 land we don't NEED to switch remotes just because new equipment comes along, having extras makes a lot of sense.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 15-133 vs. 15-100 Reply with quote

TheShanMan wrote:
The one concern I have with the 15-100 is I saw some mention of not being able to program the left and exit buttons? Is this true, or was that a limitation that has been overcome? Does this limitation apply to the 133 too?

This limitation only applies to non-JP1 users. These buttons cannot be programmed by normal users because they exit from the onscreen menus, but they can easily be programmed by JP1 users.

Personally, I think all the 15-13x remotes are ugly but others like them. I think the 15-100 looks like a great remote, though I've never used it, but some people think it's too big.

Given that JP1 makes anything possible from a programming point of view, it really boils down to which remote looks and feels best to you.
adamwh

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 15-134 for a while (it's similar to the 15-133). I like the size, and the layout is decent. What I didn't like is the squareness of the remote itself, and the size, shape and spacing of the buttons. The buttons are simply too small and too closely spaced to be comfortable to me. The menu navigation keys are terrible skinny rectangles. It almost became a 2-handed remote simply because I needed to hold it in one hand, and push buttons with the index finger of my other hand rather than hold it in one hand and use my clumsy thumb on the buttons.

I also tried the 15-100. Tommy's mod kit was great and took very little time. The remote is a little big, but the buttons are nicely sized and nicely spaced and have more ergonomic shapes than the 15-134. And it has a lot of them. I like the LCD screen, and my wife liked that fact that you could make it say the actual device name since sometimes the name of the key doesn't really describe the device it controls. The backlight turning off when a key is depressed is kind of annoying. You can't see the clock in the dark because it requires you to have a key depressed to make it appear on the screen. The layout is ok. I did find the PVR-ish buttons to be placed a little too far from the transport controls, with some less important keys between them that made it a little awkward. I also found the page+ and page- buttons to be a bit too close to the menu up/down keys. I eventually ended up de-programming them due to hitting them accidentally when navigating menus by feel.

I got both the 15-134 and the 15-100 during crazy sales. I wouldn't have considered them at all at their normal price.

Ultimately, streamlining my entertainment center and removing a few devices has led me back to my trusty old 6131 (original layout). That and a new keypad from Rob to breath new life into it. If only that little remote had a row of colored buttons (A,B,C,D like on the Atlas remotes) or at least some generic macro keys it would be perfect for me.
TheShanMan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTE: I edited my original post because I meant to say 15-135 in the original post, not 15-133.

mdavej wrote:
All that being said, I think you've left out the best option, which happens to be cheaper than either remote above and is JP1 ready. It's a backlit Atlas, plentiful on ebay. I found THIS one for $8 shipped to the US. You'll have to do some more research to find one shipped to Canada. One drawback of this remote is it's only 5 device. But you can overcome this, if you have to, by using an extender and device multiplexing.

I will check that out. I like the convenience of going to the RS around the corner from me, and being able to return the remote if I decide I don't like it, but it's certainly worth checking that one out, especially at that price.

I don't live in Canada - the JP1.x serial cable I bought apparently comes from Canada.

One other thing I should have asked. With the 15-100, does reprogramming it with the JP1 software eliminate the X-10 feature? That's one of the plusses for us.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShanMan wrote:
One other thing I should have asked. With the 15-100, does reprogramming it with the JP1 software eliminate the X-10 feature? That's one of the plusses for us.

What do you mean? What X10 feature does the 15-100 have and why do you want to eliminate it?
TheShanMan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. Just the opposite, I'm hoping using the JP1 software doesn't mean I won't have access to the X10 feature. This remote can supposedly control X10 devices like a number of older RS remotes used to. Since it's RF rather than infrared, I fear that it won't be supported once I upload my JP1 programming to it.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both (and the Atlas remotes as well) and keep coming back to the Atlas.

the 15-13x is too small for me, although i did like the keypad layout. the lack of a backlight is also a pain.

The way that they deal with the LCD is troubling and if I evernfind some spare time I may restructure the extender to allow the backlight to be on when a key is bring processed. (like some of the older remotes) But that's a project for another day.

In my book, the backlit learning Atlas OCAP is the best of the JP1.3 remotes.

All of them have an extender, it's essentially the same extender code so they are "bug-for-bug" compatible.

-bill
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShanMan,

Regarding the 13x series remotes, the 133 is backlit and has a nice layout due to the extra space, and a row of colored buttons (nice for DirecTV, etc.). The 134 has even more buttons but lacks backlighting. Both have LEDs in the device keys to indicate the active device whenever you press a button. The 135 has the most buttons of all but no backlight or LED device keys, so it's the least appealing of the group IMO. I personally like the small form factor and small buttons. I dislike the 135, but I like the 133 and 134 equally well.

As for X10, no universal remote besides the X10 remotes can control X10 via RF. Any JP1 remote can control X10 via IR and an IR543. If you don't have one of those, you need to get one from ebay.

I'd still go for the backlit atlas if I were you.
TheShanMan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not notice the backlit device buttons feature of the 134, so that would certainly be a selling point of that remote.

Nice to know any remote can do the X10 (although bummed to realize the 100 doesn't do RF like I assumed - I still have 2 or 3 of the X10 remotes that I only use for X10 control!).

I look at the atlas and my reaction is indifference. It just doesn't grab me. But for $8 I'm thinking it's too cheap not to at least try. That would buy me time to watch for one of RS' 50% off sales. Then I could choose between the 134 and the 100 and either relegate one remote as a backup (my wife is always misplacing the remote) or fight with her over control of the TV with the 2 remotes. Twisted Evil

All of the discussed remotes are JP1.3 as far as I've been able to ascertain, so the DIYgadget cable I ordered should cover any of them I think.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Atlas to be ugly, but it has a great layout. I found removing the sticker over the F1-F3 keys to be astecally pleasing, but I'm still thinking about taking the case appart and spray painting the remote.

There are still plenty of 8820's and 10820's being sold amd they are compatible too. I don't much care for the square shape, but they are bigger so the button spacing is better. But I can't tell which end is the business end when I pick it up, so I try to stay away from the square remotes.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've metioned this before and will say it again, the silver-colored Atlas OCAPs are, for some reason, much more easy on the eyes (but REALLY hard to find!). Compare the 1054, 1055, 1056 (black), and 1056 (silver):

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShanMan wrote:
Nice to know any remote can do the X10 (although bummed to realize the 100 doesn't do RF like I assumed - I still have 2 or 3 of the X10 remotes that I only use for X10 control!).

True, but if you buy an IR543 box, you won't know the difference. Here's one on ebay for $12 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400045051583
TheShanMan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my 1056B01 yesterday! Very Happy Now to re-learn all the JP1 stuff (I only deal with this every 3 or 4 years when I get a new remote). Does the Atlas 30xx extender cover this remote?

I'm still hoping to eventually get one of the 15-13x remotes in addition, so I'm watching the RS web site for when they go on sale. Is there a day of the week when a new sale starts, or is it more random than that (I don't want to check the site more often than necessary)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: