JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How To: Manual Settings in RM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: How To: Manual Settings in RM Reply with quote

The first thing is to check to see if there's already a protocol with name "pid: XX XX" in the protocol drop-down. These are generated for entries in protocols.ini that only have the PID and some protocol code, but which don't have details about device and command parameters and how to convert those to fixed and variable data. There are a lot of such protocols. If there is an entry for the protocol you want to use, don't use Manual Settings at all, use this entry. RM will have automatically determined the number of fixed and variable bytes used by the protocol and created appropriated device and command parameters, and provides control in the Protocol Parameters of how the device and command parameters are mapped to the fixed and variable bytes. For protocols that use multiple variable bytes, use the Cmd Byte Index parameter to control which variable byte is the command byte, which is used for the OBC and EFC.

If your protocol isn't already in the list as described above, and it's known to be present in some remotes, it should be added to list of known protocols. Please make a post here about it so it can be added.

Here's the instructions for using RM's advanced support for Manual Settings.

Click on Advanced -> Manual Settings...

Enter the Protocol ID

If you have a raw protocol upgrade, copy it into the clipboard, then double click in the cell next to the appropriate processor, and paste the raw upgrade code there.

If you have a formated protocol upgrade, copy it into the clipboard then click the Import Protocol Upgrade button and RM will put it in the correct place. A formatted protocol upgrade might look like [code]

At this point RM will have generated default protocol and command parameters based on the imported protocol code. You can change the number of bits for each protocol/command parameter, as well as the way it is encoded into hex (LSB/MSB, COMP or not). You can also rename the paremeters if desired (just double-click the name and edit it).

If the protocol uses more than 1 variable byte, you can also control which variable byte contains the command code, by changing the Command Index. Note that changing the Command Index will automatically change the command parameter names so the matching command parameter is named 'OBC'.

You may use the "View Ini" button to see a starter protocols.ini entry based on what you've done.

Press OK to save your changes.

Back on the Setup tab, use the "Protocol" combo box to choose the manual protocol you have just created. It will have the name "PID XX XX", and will be the last item in the list.

Now you can enter protocol and command parameters in the same way you would using a known protocol.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, when I create upgrades that use protocols that I've written myself, I always use $01FF as the protocol id, which is not an official protocol id so it's not in any remote.

If I'm creating a Manual Settings upgrade that uses an official protocol, but it's one that's not supported yet, I use the official protocol id.

My suggestion would be that when RM is used to open such an upgrade, it should check to see if the remote already has this executor installed. If the supplied protocol code matches the code in protocols.ini, a protocol upgrade should not be presented.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Just FYI, when I create upgrades that use protocols that I've written myself, I always use $01FF as the protocol id, which is not an official protocol id so it's not in any remote.

So it might be a good for RM to default the PID for Manual Settings to 01 FF?

Quote:
If I'm creating a Manual Settings upgrade that uses an official protocol, but it's one that's not supported yet, I use the official protocol id.

OK

Quote:
My suggestion would be that when RM is used to open such an upgrade, it should check to see if the remote already has this executor installed. If the supplied protocol code matches the code in protocols.ini, a protocol upgrade should not be presented.

Note sure I follow. You are talking here about Manual Settings with PID other than 01 FF, right? And the RDF for the remote has the PID listed in the protocols section, but there is no entry for it in protocols.ini? I would expect, but I haven't verified, that RM would not require a protocol upgrade in that case. Sounds like that isn't happening. Do you have an RM file I can use to debug?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suggesting that if protocols.ini does have the protocol code for the processor that the remote uses, and it matches the one provided in the manual upgrade, it should not present a protocol upgrade. But, if the protocol code is different, it should present an upgrade.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think RM v1.92 handles this better. Please give it a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: