JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another happy USB customer...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Another happy USB customer... Reply with quote

I just completed assembling my own USB JP1 interface using Joe's (Phriendly) excellent v0.03A design guide. It works as advertised and isn't any harder to assemble than any of the other interface designs. Nice work, Joe! Smile

Now all we need is to have the communications routines included in IR and this will be complete!!! 8)

In the meantime, the latest ProjectUSB.exe app doesn't allow files to be saved. The File menu options for New, Save, and Save As... are grayed out. Is that something that can be easily fixed? That way, we can download, save, open in IR, modify, save, re-open in P-USB, and upload back to the remote.

Again, a big THANKS to Joe Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Phriendly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
I'm glad you got it going. Yes saveing the file was on my todo list. I've been trying to get the basic info out and chatting w/ others that I forgot about that part<G>, sorry. I'll get onto it.
OBTW did you get your capacitor problem fixed?.

Joe.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phriendly wrote:
did you get your capacitor problem fixed?

Unfortunately, no. I don't know how to go about troubleshooting it. Obviously, I need to get to the RatShack and get a few more caps, so maybe I just had the polarity wrong (if that even matters?). I just hope I didn't damage the USB chip.

For those wondering what we're talking about here, after a couple of downloads, my USB interface suddenly stopped working. The 4.7uF cap burned up (actually exploded). As I said, I don't know how to troubleshoot it except to replace it and see what happens.
Phriendly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get a tantalum from radio shack to replace that one. This shouldn't hurt the USB chip. But can't say for the USB power from the PC. Hopefully it just took out the capacitor.
Look on the new cap for a small + which goes on the +5vdc from the computer USB, pin 12 of the Delcom chip. A magnifying lens and more light can be usefull.
OBTW ohming the circuit before plugging it into the computer can help not cause problems w/ the computer. Your cap problem would'nt have been caugth this way unfortunately.

Joe
Phriendly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded the latest file for the USB. Look in JP1->Interface for JP1-USB-0.05A.zip.

This should now save the remotes data. I have updated the information PDF for some construction notes. I've included some DLL's that were needed.

Joe.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phriendly wrote:
I've uploaded the latest file for the USB. Look in JP1->Interface for JP1-USB-0.05A.zip.

I replaced my burnt out capacitor and I think I'm back in business. However, the new version doesn't work. When trying to download, I continually get a "SendPacket - Read System Variables - ERROR" message. I went back to v0.03A and can download without a problem. All the new DLL's are in the same directory that ProjectUSB.exe is running from. I even removed and re-installed the USB drivers.

Any ideas? Crying or Very sad
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just decided to take a peek at this USB stuff for myself but when I try to execute the ProjectUSB.exe program, I get a pop-up message saying "A required .DLL file, VCL35.BPL, was not found.".

I'm using Win98 SE, does that DLL come with XP or something?
Phriendly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
I have it in A win2k system, but not in a win98. Interesting. I have
added it to dll-install zip file. I have looked in my win2k before I
installed Borlands C++ Builder and there is no cpl35.bpl. So the
install must load it. I've tried it in the same directory (win98) as
ProjectUSB.exe and it works. If you don't have any Delcom USB on your system there will be some errors at the begining of the program (Unable to open device(ok)). Just keep hitting OK till you get past this (it took me 7 times).

OBTW since I'm uploading newer version of the software, is there any
reasone I should leave the older stuff there?. Also some pieces like the DLL zip file should not change. I can see that having this large file w/ the program and Doc is usefull. But for those who just have to update the program, downloading a large file each time an update could be time consuming for a dial-up connection. Thoughts?.

Joe.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still getting the "SendPacket - Read System Variables - ERROR" when using 0.05AB... Crying or Very sad
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phriendly wrote:
Rob,

OBTW since I'm uploading newer version of the software, is there any
reasone I should leave the older stuff there?. Also some pieces like the DLL zip file should not change. I can see that having this large file w/ the program and Doc is usefull. But for those who just have to update the program, downloading a large file each time an update could be time consuming for a dial-up connection. Thoughts?.

Joe.

Joe,

I noticed yesterday that you had several files posted. I assume some of the early ones are "obsolete" due to constant revisions. I did download the version .5. I only see "three parts", the dll zip (which you say shouldn't need any changes), the pdf (which I read and doesn't appear will need any revisions), and the project usb (which I assume is the one that will see more revisions?). I'd SUGGEST deleteing all those files, and post 2 seperate ones. Perhaps call one "First "half", part "A", etc. which would have the Zipped dll, and pdf. The second could be "part 2" second half, or similar, and be the Project USB file. If the actual file names stays the same, (mention in the description the revision number), windows will usually ask if you want to replace xxxxx with yyyyy, and of course we'd have to select "yes". That would "overwrite" the old with the new. Just a thought. It should save you and us some download/upload time.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's in "beta" mode, going with two files is probably a good idea, but once it's official, I think all the components should be in one file.
Phriendly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
I'm still getting the "SendPacket - Read System Variables - ERROR" when using 0.05AB...

What are you doing that gives you this error. I.E. "Download from remote"?

Go to the "Debug" tab, hit "connect" button. Do you get:

\\.\USB#Vid_0fc5&Pid_1222#1149#{b5157d69-75f8-11d3-8ce0-00207815e611}
Serial Number 1149
Version 9 12/9/2002
??.

Joe
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phriendly wrote:
What are you doing that gives you this error. I.E. "Download from remote"?

I get it with both Download and Upload.

Quote:

Serial Number 1149
Version 9 12/9/2002

I'll check this when I get home later today. I did try the [Connect] button on the Debug tab, but don't remember the exact results. It was similar to what you show, though.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phriendly wrote:

Serial Number 1149
Version 9 12/9/2002

Pressing [Connect] on the Debug tab yields these results:

\\.\0000000000000005#{b5157d69-75f8-11d3-8ce0-00207815e611}
Serial Number: 1198
Version: 9 12/9/2002

The rest of the settings on the Debug panel are:

DIPSW P0.0 - DIPSW P0.7 = checked
LED P1.0 = checked
Pullup P0.0 - P0.1 = checked
Everything else is unchecked.

I went back to v0.03A and was able to download and upload without any error messages. It also yielded the same Debug results except that LED P1.0 is unchecked.

I guess it's possible I fried something else when the capacitor went poof (but then why does 0.03A work?). I've got another set of components coming (they should arrive tomorrow), and I'll be building another interface.

Maybe I should change this thread title to "(un)Happy"?!? Crying or Very sad
Phriendly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
After thinking on this I'm wondering if your remote cable is having problems. Please ohm out the connections from Delcoms chip p0.0 & p0.1 to the 6 pin connector.
But I'm still thinking on this and some USB diagnostics to make sure things are connected/ working.

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: