JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

2116 extender version 1 versus 2?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asinsh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: 2116 extender version 1 versus 2? Reply with quote

I'm sure this must have been discussed but I just can't find it: I've read over the readmes for both versions of the 2116 extender and I can't see any reason why someone would pick version 1. Is there any downside to version 2? For example, does version 2 leave a lot less memory available?

Also, I'm curious about why these extenders departed so completely from the native remote approach that a device key defines the device for all keys. I understand that the granularity of specifying that some keys are controlled by device A while others are controlled by device B can be a very useful approach, but I would have guessed that it would also be useful to have a single command that says 'define all keys to be device A keys' so that you wouldn't have to waste 7 different commands to define each and every device. What am I missing?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about the second part of your question, BUT the only problem I've heard of (but not seen) with Extender 2 (which I use) is that the included "Pause" protocol may have some problems working as desired.
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the first time I read about problems with Pause. Can somebody confirm that there is definitely an error in that protocol? Because it worked for me. Was it simply by virtue of extra call to pause protocol? I mean the time of processing that keymove could have been enough to introduce required delay?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2116 extender version 1 versus 2? Reply with quote

asinsh wrote:
I'm sure this must have been discussed but I just can't find it:

Just an FYI, I deleted your duplicate post in the Beginner's forum. This is an extender question and belongs here. Also, double-posting is usually a no-no on any discussion forum, especially when answers have already been posted to one of them. Wink
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I kind of jumped over original question by asinsh, I should say that extender2 works great for me and I can't really say anything about first one.

As for the new design of button selection - I liked it a lot. The very first thing to do was writing two macros - one setting all key sets to the current device and another setting all but volume key sets. These two macros become for me what you describe as "single command ... define all keys". Of course, that would be two commands instead of one every time, but still quite convenient.
asinsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
I have no idea about the second part of your question, BUT the only problem I've heard of (but not seen) with Extender 2 (which I use) is that the included "Pause" protocol may have some problems working as desired.

I used extender2 for the first time last night and I repeatedly had a problem with the included pause protocol...no matter what parameter I used (starting with hex 10 all the way up to ff), I couldn't get it to pause a significant time. Then I tried to use the pause protocol in keymaster 8.10 and that would work fine the first time it was called after an upload to the remote, but every time thereafter it would pause for well under a second (and changing the parameter would not significantly change it).

Finally, I loaded up the special pause protocol from the yahoo files section and that worked fine. And it looked remarkably similar to the one that KM gave me.....hmmmmmm. I'll try to compare more precisely tonight, but can someone else confirm this is an error in the included protocol and not some subtle programming error on my part?
asinsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at work so I can't really check my jp1 files at home, but I did just open up a virgin KM spreadsheet to generate the special pause protocol and I then compared it to the special pause protocol in the files section of yahoo jp1 and alas, they are absolutely identical (duh). Which raises the question why in the world I had that odd problem when using the one generated by KM (where it would work for the first pass after I activated the extender but would not work thereafter until I again reset and reactivated the extender. Since the KM version worked every time I reset the remote, I find it hard to believe I somehow had the keymove done incorrectly, but given that the protocol and device upgrades are the same this is very odd. Anyone else seen this?

And can other people confirm that the pause protocol bundled with the extender itself does not work properly?
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asinsh wrote:
...I did just open up a virgin KM spreadsheet to generate the special pause protocol and I then compared it to the special pause protocol in the files section of yahoo jp1 and alas, they are absolutely identical (duh).
I'd be very surprised if they were different, since the one in KM came from that same special pause protocol file. I don't know why the extender seems to have a problem with the pause protocol in general, but the reason is not because the upgrade came from KM or the text file, because, as you state, they are identical. There's something else going on here... Confused
asinsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the pause protocol bundled with the extender is not identical to the one in KM and the JP1 yahoo files area. Have people other than me confirmed that the one bundled with the extender does not work?
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asinsh wrote:
Then I tried to use the pause protocol in keymaster 8.10 and that would work fine the first time it was called after an upload to the remote, but every time thereafter it would pause for well under a second

Quite bizarre behaviour... The only explanation I can see is some stray toad croaking around. It calls right command for the first time and toggles control bit. Every time afterwards it follows different path until you reset the remote.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asinsh wrote:
Note that the pause protocol bundled with the extender is not identical to the one in KM and the JP1 yahoo files area. Have people other than me confirmed that the one bundled with the extender does not work?
I actually have extender 2 running and using the pause with no problem as far as I can tell. Actually, my device selection macros would not work without it.

Just for the heck of it you could create a fake pause buy creating a macro on say the Shift-Pause key with 6 or 7 or more shift-Phantom4 on it (any buttons that do not have a code assigned in any device is good) then put the shift pause in your macro's and see if that works. It would rule out parts of the macro not running for some reason if this works.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asinsh wrote:

And can other people confirm that the pause protocol bundled with the extender itself does not work properly?

The ONLY pause protocol I have ever used is the one bundled with 2116/2117 extender2. I don't believe that it "doesn't work", but I do believe that the incremetation of the pauses from 01 through FF duration is extremely short. So much so that my basic Pause is of the maximum duration (FF) and I have to use at least two of these in order to provide sufficient delay for some of the componenets I'm powering up and then conducting input selection on. Two consecutive full-length (FF) pauses still gives me a pause of only about a second (as measured by my calibrated eyeball watching the led NOT trasmit during a macro), and I somehow presumed that the pauses would be of greater duration.

But I have the remote doing PRECISELY what I want, so I've never investigated the other Pause protocols, and like my father used to say "If it works, don't f*** with it!"
asinsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
...The ONLY pause protocol I have ever used is the one bundled with 2116/2117 extender2. I don't believe that it "doesn't work", but I do believe that the incremetation of the pauses from 01 through FF duration is extremely short....Two consecutive full-length (FF) pauses still gives me a pause of only about a second...

Yes, mine 'worked' that way too but I actually think that qualifies as not working (at least not working properly). The special pause protocol in the yahoo files section (and in KM8.10) pauses for a dramatically longer time even at relatively low settings. Here's a quote from the KM help section on that protocol:

"The actual delay time will vary among different remotes, but the
values shown below will serve as a guideline for S3C8+ (new)
processors.

OBC = (seconds to pause) x (16)
016 = approx 1 second
032 = approx 2 seconds
048 = approx 3 seconds
064 = approx 4 seconds
080 = approx 5 seconds
160 = approx 10 seconds"

I can confirm that when I tried OBC48 (I think that's $30 hex), I got about a 3 second pause. And since the OBCs go all the way up to 255, you can real crank this thing (and fine tune it as well).

Has anyone gotten the pause protocol included with this extender to pause for the long duration that the KM version does?
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
So much so that my basic Pause is of the maximum duration (FF) and I have to use at least two of these in order to provide sufficient delay for some of the componenets I'm powering up and then conducting input selection on.

In my post above I suggested that including non-working pause keymoves into macro can introduce enough delay for it to work properly. It's almost the same as to call some xs_ key not defined anywhere. Your post seems to confirm this. In my case keymove with $05 pause made all my macros work on the first try, so I didn't bother to check other values. I'll try this over weekend.
asinsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwwoholic wrote:
Capn Trips wrote:
So much so that my basic Pause is of the maximum duration (FF) and I have to use at least two of these in order to provide sufficient delay for some of the componenets I'm powering up and then conducting input selection on.

In my post above I suggested that including non-working pause keymoves into macro can introduce enough delay for it to work properly. It's almost the same as to call some xs_ key not defined anywhere. Your post seems to confirm this. In my case keymove with $05 pause made all my macros work on the first try, so I didn't bother to check other values. I'll try this over weekend.

Yes you are correct that you can fudge delays by adding meaningless commands (the readme even suggests this for small delays). But if your equuipment needs a delay of several seconds between hitting power on and receiving the first command this is not a great way to go about this...a real (working) pause protocol is great for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: