JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR To-do List and Wish List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

One of the things that I never wanted to fix in extinstall was how it dealt with the setup info that is packaged (or not) in an extender release. The old version of Extinstall would populate the entire IR file with the fill byte (i.e. FF) and then go and then put things from the "old" and "extender" files in.

But for some reason it does NOT populate the setup codes and then when IR or RMIR opens the file it gets invalid setup codes and invalid device types (i.e. device type F and setup code 4095) It is for this reason that I package all zero setup codes with all of the JP1.3 extenders.

As I'm working on a new extender I thought I would just require that RMIR be used with the extender and then not package all zeros, which then would not destroy setup codes on the upgrade. I built a pagkage without data in the setup area and tried it with RMIR and unfortunately got the same results.

I know when you guys put that feature in you ported the then existing Extinstall so that's probably not an unexpected result.

Also, it duplicates macros on buttons that have definitions in the old IR file (i.e. I package the extenders with default macros on the device buttons but if one was there you now have two macros on the same button in the macro list)

Any time you have a chance to change the behavior of extinstall, these two things would be nice to fix....
rsbrux

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Stop popups from covering GUI elements Reply with quote

ISTR having mentioned this in another thread, but I can't find it and it probably belongs here, if it is ever to change. I often have trouble activating buttons in RMIR and RMDU because they get covered by popups (see attached screenshot). I sometimes find that I can still activate a sliver of the button which isn't covered and have also used the option "Set Tooltip Delay" to increase the delay before popup as a workaround, but it would be nice if the popups could be prevented from covering the GUI's operating elements.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd4xwtjpisv71g1/PopupBlocksButtons.png
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happens when you have RMIR in full screen mode. If you have the RMIR screen smaller than you complete laptop screen, those pop-up messages appear outside of the RMIR window.

By the way, to save folks having to look it up, like I had to, "ISTR" means "I seem to remember".
rsbrux

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have an old laptop with 1366x768 resolution and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, so I need full screen mode. Another minor gripe is that the edit box selection border in some styles (I think the screenshot is Nimbus) prevent me from seeing what I am typing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldy8czuvrfy9ni8/EditBoxContentsObscured.png

P.S. Another reason I like full screen is that the default window size of RMIR often puts the bottom of the RMIR window off the bottom of my screen. Maximizing the RMIR window is the quickest and easiest way to make everything visible.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Stop popups from covering GUI elements Reply with quote

rsbrux wrote:
... they get covered by popups (see attached screenshot).

Hmm, for me the tooltips timeout and vanish after a few second... Regardless of full-screen or windowing mode.

Quote:
my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, so I need full screen mode.

Please checkout "magnification", it is much more useful.

Quote:
Another minor gripe is that the edit box selection border in some styles (I think the screenshot is Nimbus) prevent me from seeing what I am typing.

I can't follow. Please show a screen shot.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsbrux wrote:
Another reason I like full screen is that the default window size of RMIR often puts the bottom of the RMIR window off the bottom of my screen.

The only default window size in RMIR is the size that it opens for the first time after installation. After that, it opens in the position and size that it had when you last closed it. So I do not understand this comment.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Stop popups from covering GUI elements Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
Hmm, for me the tooltips timeout and vanish after a few second... Regardless of full-screen or windowing mode.

That's not what was happening for me , but perhaps I was too impatient. IAC, I find the increased delay *before* the popup appears a good workaround.

Barf wrote:
Please checkout "magnification", it is much more useful.

Thanks for the tip; I'll try it out. I have already used the Windows "ease of access" settings to increase text to 125%, but the RMIR text doesn't seem to respond to that setting.

Barf wrote:

A screenshot is embedded in the previous post. The BB software seems unable to preview it, but you can open it with a right click and "Open image in new tab" (at least that's what the context menu item is called in Firefox).

mathdon wrote:
The only default window size in RMIR is the size that it opens for the first time after installation. After that, it opens in the position and size that it had when you last closed it. So I do not understand this comment.

Maybe my problems are because I am frequently switching between a 1920x1080 full-size monitor and my 13" 1366x768 laptop screen.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsbrux wrote:
Maybe my problems are because I am frequently switching between a 1920x1080 full-size monitor and my 13" 1366x768 laptop screen.

Yes, that would explain it. I don't know what Barf means by "magnification", but if you are using Java 11 or later then when you run Setup.vbs you should be asked to enter a scale factor. Not all OS will support this, but Windows 10 certainly does. I like using a scale factor of 1.5 on my laptop. As for the floating "tooltip" messages disappearing after a few seconds, that should happen in all RMIR installations. I do not understand why that does not happen for you.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stop popups from covering GUI elements Reply with quote

rsbrux wrote:
Barf wrote:

That's not what was happening for me , but perhaps I was too impatient. IAC, I find the increased delay *before* the popup appears a good workaround.

I think IAC stands for "I am confused", for those trying to follow along. Please correct me if that's not what you meant.

rsbrux wrote:
Barf wrote:

A screenshot is embedded in the previous post. The BB software seems unable to preview it, but you can open it with a right click and "Open image in new tab" (at least that's what the context menu item is called in Firefox).

If you want to display an image in a post, you can't use Dropbox, you should use something like imgur (as described here). I keep editing your posts to convert your dropbox urls into links rather than embedded images so people can actually use them.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *am* confused, but "IAC" is short for "In any case", at least in my usage Wink
I am painfully aware that TLAs (Three-letter acronyms) are seldom unique!
Thanks for correcting my links and referring me to the correct way to use imgur. This time I'll try to get it right Wink
My problem with buttons off the bottom appears to be due to the default height of RMDU being more than the 768 resolution of my laptop screen.
Since I always used "Maximize", the normalized dimensions were never changed. After reading Graham's post, I have resized the window and the new dimensions are remembered as he predicted.
It would be nice if the application windows would "snap". I know such GUI features can be difficult to implement in Java. IAC, it doesn't work in Windows 10; I haven't tried it in Ubuntu.

Last edited by rsbrux on Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with TLAs is some are more common than others. You can use things like BTW, LOL, IIRC, FWIW, etc with reasonable confidence that folks will know what you mean, but if you use uncommon ones, while you might save yourself 1 or 2 seconds in typing, you will cause the folks who are trying to help you to spend several minutes looking them up. And of course, if you're just making them up, like with IAC, where the official internet definitions give something else, well, let's just call it a communication breakdown.

Did the resize that Graham suggested fix your issue?

That last pic has a background RM image in it too, was that deliberate? Here's a tip, if you're using the PrtSc (Print Screen) button to capture the screenshots, try using ALT+PrtSc instead, as that will just capture the active window.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
And of course, if you're just making them up, like with IAC, where the official internet definitions give something else, well, let's just call it a communication breakdown.

I didn't "just make it up". "In any case" is number 9 on AcronymFinder and number 3 on AllAcronyms. "I am confused" is below 20 on AcronymFinder and doesn't even appear on All Acronyms. I wasn't aware of any "official internet definitions". Where can I find them?

The Robman wrote:
Did the resize that Graham suggested fix your issue?

Yes it did, thank you (and Graham). Sorry I didn't make that clear.

The Robman wrote:
That last pic has a background RM image in it too, was that deliberate?

Yes, it was.

Thanks for your support.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, please resize rsbrux's image. This thread has become unreadable to me as even full screen, which I do not normally use, I have to scroll every line of text to read it to the end.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mathdon,
Sorry about that. Since the problem is resolved, I simply deleted the image. For anyone else who is interested, I think the description suffices. In the future I will take Rob's advice and just post screenshots of the active window.
P.S. I'll also resize the image, something I expected the forum software to do automatically.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Rob, please resize rsbrux's image. This thread has become unreadable to me as even full screen, which I do not normally use, I have to scroll every line of text to read it to the end.

Yeah, I know, I was going to convert them to links after the thread was done, but I see he beat me to it by deleting them.

I don't have a quick & easy way to resize people's images, I need to download them myself, open them with Photo Editor and resize them, then load them to Imgur myself and change the image links. In most cases, that's just too much effort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: