JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Onkyo Home Theatre upgrade to URC-9910
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radunn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Onkyo Home Theatre upgrade to URC-9910 Reply with quote

I'm trying to learn codes from the Onkyo remote (RC-479S); home theatre system Onkyo HT-R8230.

An upgrade was provided by OFA tech support about one year ago. When I learn the keys from the OEM remote, the IR.exe result consists of a vast majority of raw signal information. I'm using RM to enter the OBC codes but raw data does not provide this information; what do I do?..... * I read the help file for RM and am able to import the raw data from IR into RM.* but, not able to map URC-9910's play, pause, rew, fwd, stop, rec, f.fwd and f.rew buttons during a learn; although it says success.

In advance, thanks for your valuable support and time.

Last edited by radunn on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
greenough1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try any of the existing Onkyo upgrades or know Onkyo setup codes in that remote? You might be having learn issues due to weak batteries, spacing between remotes, etc.

jeff
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a copy of your IR file.
radunn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

File's uploaded. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6449

Onkyo_SuperMaster_OCAP.rmdu at File Section works but lacks a few keys that are on the Onkyo RC-479S and has excessive keys. Perhaps they're only renamed.

I'm trying to decipher why several keys in my RM file worksheet had *'s and Onkyo_SuperMaster_OCAP.rmdu does not; any leads? I understand that keys associated with *s are key moves.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those learns are garbage. Here's a description of the correct learning procedure:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3943
radunn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Most of those learns are garbage. Here's a description of the correct learning procedure:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3943

Thank you; I did the 2nd one as my remote is LCD. IOW, all of those ####,s = garbage (bad learn)? I was pressing the OEM (teaching) button before button(s) to be learned. Thanks for pointing me here
radunn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded 2 files (reference links below). Although the OEM keys learned successful (IR file).. exporting from RM to IR was not successful as the device setup codes changed (from 1320 rcvr/amp to 1023 amp) and would not power on.

I'm not certain which NEC protocol to use in RM and whether or not to export the protocol data from RM to IR (as "required" is not in red). Before importing protocol data from RM to IR, should I delete current protocol data in IR first?

As always, any and all help is highly appreciated.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6451

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6450
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the typical Onkyo issue that most signals are NEC1, but some are NEC2 and probably the VOL signals only work well as NEC2. I think most of the signals work well even if you get the NEC1 / NEC2 decision wrong.

There is specific support for Onkyo in some protocol executor. But looking at RM just now, I couldn't figure it out myself.

Maybe simply using NEC2, as you already did, will work well.

You do not need to export the protocol data from RM to IR.

radunn wrote:
exporting from RM to IR was not successful as the device setup codes changed (from 1320 rcvr/amp to 1023 amp) and would not power on.

The .ir file you posted with learned signals has a RCVR/1320 upgrade in it that seems to be some other upgrade (not similar to your rmdu file).

Did you delete that (and the learned signals) before trying the new RCVR/1320 upgrade.

Maybe we need to see that .ir file as well.
radunn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:

The .ir file you posted with learned signals has a RCVR/1320 upgrade in it that seems to be some other upgrade (not similar to your rmdu file).

Did you delete that (and the learned signals) before trying the new RCVR/1320 upgrade.

Maybe we need to see that .ir file as well.

Both links in previous post represent files used for the upgrade; (IR included). The IR file is the initial learning (OEM to URC-9910) > RM > to IR upgrade (failed).
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try THIS. You WILL have to paste in the protocol this time. Delete your learns to test it. Since you had 2 protocols (NEC1 and NEC2), device 210, and 2 subdevices (109 and 108), I used the NEC 2DEV Combo which could handle all those combinations.

I also added discrete on and off to this upgrade. I'm not certain they will work. If the power button doesn't work, try putting the discrete on function on the power button instead. It's the same code as the one you learned.

Last edited by mdavej on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
radunn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

I also added discrete on and off to this upgrade. I'm not certain they will work. If the power button doesn't work, try putting the discrete on function on the power button instead. It's the same code as the one you learned.

Discret on works. I thought discrete on only remained on; it toggles on/off when Power's pressed.

It's odd but when Power was used the setup code is 1023 instead of 1320. Does Device Type in IR effect the setup code? The culprit was selecting the correct Device Type in IR at Add; choosing AMP results with setup code 1023; should be RCVR = 1320 .

When you added discrete on/off to to available functions, how did you know which OBC to use (esp. for discrete off)? Big thanks! Laughing
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you make your own upgrades the setup code is completely arbitrary. It can be anything so long as RM matches the device in IR. When you add a device upgrade to IR and paste it in, the device type and setup is filled in automatically from the info in RM. You must then use the same device type and setup code for the device button on the general tab in IR.

I don't quite follow what you're saying about power and 1023, but I assume that's the setup code you got from tech support. That's perfectly fine. You can change the setup code to 1023 in RM if you like, and make the device button in IR match.

I got the discretes from another upgrade, so someone else figured those out, possibly by trial and error. Remotecentral.com has a big list of discrete codes as well.

If my discrete on is truly a toggle, rename it in RM to reflect it's true function. The correct discrete on (which we apparently don't know) will just turn you device on.

So to recap, my upgrade works except what I've labeled discrete on is actually a power toggle. How about the power function, what does it do? Test on, off and power and let me know what EFC does what so the upgrade can be corrected.
radunn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

I don't quite follow what you're saying about power and 1023, but I assume that's the setup code you got from tech support. That's perfectly fine. You can change the setup code to 1023 in RM if you like, and make the device button in IR match.

What I meant was that when I initially copied from RM to IR, the device type in RM was AMP and I left it at AMP in IR; resulting in device code 1023 instead of 1320 which fails to power etc. Chaning the Device Type in IR to RCVR kept the original upgrade 1320 code that works.
Quote:

If my discrete on is truly a toggle, rename it in RM to reflect it's true function. The correct discrete on (which we apparently don't know) will just turn you device on.

It's identical to the initial Power that works provided I change Device Type in IR to RCVR. Do you suggest using discrete on/off in macros or seperate buttons?
Quote:

So to recap, my upgrade works except what I've labeled discrete on is actually a power toggle. How about the power function, what does it do? Test on, off and power and let me know what EFC does what so the upgrade can be corrected.

Discrete On is truly a toggle. Discrete Off works fine. Thanks much for your help/support.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the code labeled as "discrete on" is really a toggle, that means you don't have a discrete on code. Does the "power" button use a different code than this one?

In macros, you would almost always want to use discrete codes if you have them.
radunn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If the code labeled as "discrete on" is really a toggle, that means you don't have a discrete on code. Does the "power" button use a different code than this one?

Yes, it's different.

Power: EFC 051 OBC 203 HEX 2C A0 DevSub 210.108

discrete on: EFC 180 OBC 4 HEX DF 20 DevSub 210.109
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: