JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wanted: "FERRITE SNAP-ON CORE"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Wanted: "FERRITE SNAP-ON CORE" Reply with quote

Please check your parts/junk box I am seeking "FERRITE SNAP-ON CORE" that will fit:
(A) RG-6QS <TV Antenna> cable(s)
Would like to find about 8 to 16
(B) CAT-5e/6 cables
Would like to find about 4 to 16

I have many "Home" TV/Antenna and Network cables that run next to each other and since I have changed my home video distrubution system to A/V cables I am getting ghosting on the none digital TV stations and it has been suggested that I gets some "FERRITE CHOKES".

--David

Last edited by DavidEC2955 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen ferrite on coax (RF) cables. I suspect they would either do nothing or kill the signal. (probably do nothing)

I can offer some advice on video over Cat5/6 if that's what you are doing. I have an extensive system. Ferrite chokes probably aren't going to help unless there is interference from an outside source or the cable is creating interference on other devices. You didn't mention if you were sending composite video or S-Video. Composite is only good for about 30 feet before ghosting and ringing occur over Cat5. S-Video in good for 200' (plus or minus) Cat 5 has enough wires for S-Video + A/V. I wired with standard network wall plates and use breakout cables or adapters at each end.

I wire the cables for S-Video and use inexpensive Composite-to-SVideo adapters (like this http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-RGB-322G-/33-0001) when connecting to sets that don't have S-Video inputs or from sources that only have Composite outputs. Distribution amps must be used to split the sources to go to multiple TVs; you can't obviously just splice wires. A Receiver/Amp can perform that distribution in some cases.
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
I've never seen ferrite on coax (RF) cables. I suspect they would either do nothing or kill the signal. (probably do nothing)

I can offer some advice on video over Cat5/6 if that's what you are doing. I have an extensive system. Ferrite chokes probably aren't going to help unless there is interference from an outside source or the cable is creating interference on other devices. You didn't mention if you were sending composite video or S-Video. Composite is only good for about 30 feet before ghosting and ringing occur over Cat5. S-Video in good for 200' (plus or minus) Cat 5 has enough wires for S-Video + A/V. I wired with standard network wall plates and use breakout cables or adapters at each end.

I wire the cables for S-Video and use inexpensive Composite-to-SVideo adapters (like this http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-RGB-322G-/33-0001) when connecting to sets that don't have S-Video inputs or from sources that only have Composite outputs. Distribution amps must be used to split the sources to go to multiple TVs; you can't obviously just splice wires. A Receiver/Amp can perform that distribution in some cases.

Thanks for the input but I am running molded A/V cables 25 foot each but it is not the A/V cables with the interference.. its where I am now using a single stereo UHF modulator in my system and it is connected to my "8Way" RF splitter and my 'other cables' seem to be crossing each other.. I was advised that I most likely getting 'cable ride along' <signals that ride the sheild> signals and that by adding the chokes would stop/block these unwanted signals.. I purchased some from e-Bay but they are a whole 5mm smaller than advertised and unable to 'SNAP' but used electrical tape to try them on a single cable and the 'noise' was gone on this single run... now to find more (14) to connect to the other RF leads that fit RG6qs cables.

--David

--David
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: