JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shift command for URC-9910
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radunn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Shift command for URC-9910 Reply with quote

I'm doing an upgrade file (from scratch) for a DVD remote. I've run out of buttons on the 9910. Having seen/used the Shift (button) command previously I've yet to learn how to build one for a button. Can someone enlighten me as to how? I'm using RM.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of ways:
- On the Buttons tab, drag function to desired button in the Shift column or double click the cell in the shift column and choose function.
- On the Layout tab, click Shift and then drag function to desired button. Click Normal to show the unshifted buttons again.

Problem is if you're out of move memory, shifted buttons won't help because they're always keymoves. Time to delete keymoves you don't really need. Making your devices other the CBL type may reduce keymoves but will cause CBL to be displayed on the LCD for those devices.

If your asking how to put a function on the setup button (a.k.a. shift key) itself, that usually either can't be done or is a bad idea.

I saw your post about the DVD upgrade, but I still doubt you need to build one from scratch. Code 0490 or the existing DVD-S47 upgrade will likely work. Have you tried these and found they didn't work? If you learn a few buttons and post your IR file, we can probably tell you exactly what codes/upgrades will work. On the other hand, it only takes a few minutes to build an entire upgrade "from scratch".
radunn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

I saw your post about the DVD upgrade, but I still doubt you need to build one from scratch. Code 0490 or the existing DVD-S47 upgrade will likely work.

Thank you; S47 looks ideal! However, while doing the scratch upgrade some of the protocols contain the protocol device name and Gap-###-####-###? etc. A few had only Gap..... Are these safe?
Thanks for your assistance
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harmless. Just poor learns IR can't decode. Re-learn the bad ones if you need the info to build your upgrade. Holding the key down longer might help.
radunn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Harmless. Just poor learns IR can't decode. Re-learn the bad ones if you need the info to build your upgrade. Holding the key down longer might help.

IOW, a properly decoded button in IR will not contain the word "Gap-###......?" under Protocol column on the Learned Signals tab in IR? I do recall that either remote shifted a tad when learning.
radunn wrote:

... some of the protocols contain the protocol device name and Gap-###-####-###? etc.

What about these that contain the correct Protocol name, OBC, and Hex plus "Gap-###...." on another line? Again thanks!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a definitive answer, post the IR file in question (in the Diagnosis Area) and we'll look at it.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is to repeat the learns (with shorter or longer key presses, different distances, etc.) until you get rid of as much "GAP..." stuff as possible. But if the other details are good (protocol, obc, etc.), then that's close enough.

In some cases "GAP..." data could be a new protocol, but this is highly unlikely with your DVD player, especially if you have several good learns as well.

If you get stuck, post your IR file like Rob said. But the more good learns you have, the easier it will be to build your upgrade. So get them as clean as possible.
radunn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
The idea is to repeat the learns (with shorter or longer key presses, different distances, etc.) until you get rid of as much "GAP..." stuff as possible.
If you get stuck, post your IR file like Rob said.

Do I delete the learned IR first, or overwrite? I posted an IR file at Diagnostic area
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have posted the diagnosis file URL to this thread. Here it is
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6425

Where you have both a valid panasonic decode and a gap decode (in either order) just ignore the gap one.

Digit '9' would be hard to figure out from that bad learn, but no need to. Notice digits 1 to 8 are sequential OBC numbers 16 to 23, so digit 9 is OBC number 24.

So the only hard one is fwd. Notice F.Rew is 249, F.Fwd is 250, and Rew is 4. That suggests fwd is 5, which should be easy to test. (the bad learn of fwd is consistent with 5).

You could also check the upgrade area for existing upgrades with panasonic protocol device 176, subdevice 0. I expect you can find a few and the OBC numbers would match your device.

From a quick read through this thread, I wasn't sure what you are trying to do. Hopefully those bad learns are just for gathering information to build an upgrade. I would not suggest using those bad learns to control the device. But I don't think you need to relearn, because I think you have enough info to either build an upgrade from scratch or find an almost perfect upgrade already built.
radunn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
You should have posted the diagnosis file URL to this thread. Here it is
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6425

Where you have both a valid panasonic decode and a gap decode (in either order) just ignore the gap one.

So the only hard one is fwd. Notice F.Rew is 249, F.Fwd is 250, and Rew is 4. That suggests fwd is 5, which should be easy to test. (the bad learn of fwd is consistent with 5).

From a quick read through this thread, I wasn't sure what you are trying to do. Hopefully those bad learns are just for gathering information to build an upgrade.

1. How do I post a thread URL?
2. You used the Gap info for F.Rew/Fwd; should you have used
panasonic?
3. Yes I'm trying to build an upgrade file.

I'm somewhat new to this but rapidly learning. Thanks much for your assistance!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radunn wrote:
1. How do I post a thread URL?

Navigate to the page where the file is, then highlight the address (URL) and do CNTL-C to copy it. Then come back to the forum and start a new post, then when you reach the part of your post where you want to post the URL, do a CNTL-V to paste it into the post.

radunn wrote:
2. You used the Gap info for F.Rew/Fwd; should you have used panasonic?

Experts like John know how to read the actual raw data behind the display, so he has a pretty good idea of which parts of the signal to look at, even with bad learns.

Last edited by The Robman on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radunn wrote:

2. You used the Gap info for F.Rew/Fwd; should you have used
panasonic?

Oops! You're right. Bad eyesight. I thought I was reading the OBC from the Panasonic decodes. But I wasn't. Those are 73 and 74, not 249 and 250. (I use four CRT's at once. My real work was open on two and FireFox on the third. IR.exe was open on the fourth CRT that I was looking at a bad angle).

The Robman wrote:

Experts like John know how to read the actual raw data behind the display, so he has a pretty good idea of which parts of the signal to look at, even with bad learns.

But this time the "expert" failed to read the display for the perfectly good decodes of F.Rew and F.Fwd

I also never bothered to look at the raw data for "Fwd". I just looked at the second gap decode. Mainly, I guessed: Because F.Fwd is one more than F.Red I expected Fwd to be one more than Rew.

The whole purpose of "gap" decodes is to gather data for new protocols and bad learns so an expert can skip looking at the raw data. The raw data for "fwd" has two separate fragments of the true signal. The first "gap" decode completely missed and would be harder to read than the raw data. The second "gap" decode starts in perfect sync with the correct signal, but ends in the middle of the function number. So it only confirms that the low four bits of the OBC match the low four bits of OBC=5.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for some new glasses, eh John? Smile
radunn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for the valuable help; I'm putting it together. Question... in RemoteMaster (buttons tab) what do buttons Phantom1, 2, 3 represent?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/files/help/The%20WHAT%20and%20WHY%20of%20JP1.htm#PhantomKey
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: