JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ANOTHER SHOT AT BREATHING LIFE INTO THE 15-100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: ANOTHER SHOT AT BREATHING LIFE INTO THE 15-100 Reply with quote

Now that the URC-8910 is falling into the endangered species category, some members think the Radio Shack 15-100 could be an heir to the throne were it not so confounded difficult to modify so it can be uploaded/downloaded with IR.exe. A little over a year ago, I (along with some other members) published instructions for modifying this remote so you could use an interface with it. That modification was so complicated it's no wonder it never became popular. Ever since then I have wanted to design a much simpler modification to level the playing field for this otherwise very talented remote. Just two days ago unclemiltie posted an extender for the 15-100, so hopefully my timing is about right.

At my store here I have added a 15-100 Upgrade Kit for sale at $15, including shipping. I realize that's a significant addition to the cost of the remote, and probably no one will be interested except perhaps when the remote goes on sale at Radio Shack (as it often does) for $20. I'll very likely never recover my development expenses for this thing, but I enjoyed the challenge nonetheless. The main component of the kit is a small printed circuit board containing a 6-pin header pre-wired to a miniature 5-conductor cable. There's no drilling, sawing, or cutting required. Just five easy solder joints that can be made with almost any old soldering iron. This is as easy as it's ever going to get.

Instructions for the kit are here and new, simpler instructions for opening the case are here.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it might just catch on Tommy, great work.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real work of art as usual Tommy - nice !!

xnappo
stangbat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous! I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for sales of the 15-100.
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way cool!
I converted my RS15-100 according to Tommy's original instructions - the hardest part was shaving away plastic to fit the wires under the battery compartment. This kit and the new instructions eliminate that issue - it certainly simplifies the job.

The remote itself is great. The ability to customize for eight devices is a step up from my earlier remotes; I only have seven devices at present, so UncleMiltie's extender is not required, yet (note to self: get more devices). If RS offers it at a sale price, you can't go wrong.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon the OT post, but I just wanted to clarify that the extender isn't just for additional devices (IIRC, this particular one doesn't have any additional devices). But it greatly enhances the overall functionality of your remote by giving you fast macros, macros on device buttons, long and double key press macros, pauses, device specific macros, nested macros (for virtually unlimited macro length), Toadtog (for devices without discrete on/off) and device multiplexing. Having said that, you should still wait for the next version since the current one is still in the beta stage.

You can keep an eye out for sales with THIS handy-dandy link which shows all radio shack JP1.3 remotes, including the 15-100, 133, 134 and 135, plus a few non-JP1 models.

Getting back on topic, kudos to Tommy for a great solution and fantastic documentation as always.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: