JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comcast DVR URC1067B JP1.3 Extender
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Comcast DVR URC1067B JP1.3 Extender Reply with quote

I just uploaded V1.00 of the extender for the Comcast DVR URC-1067B JP1.3 remote. This remote is generally one with the "red" OK/Select button (the Gray "OK" 1067 is the JP1.2 remote) To be sure that you have the right remote, this remote has "1003" written on the circuit board just above the JP1 connector in the battery compartment and will register with signature 30393039.

This version includes:

- Full support for IR 8 including IR version display, setup code checking and pause values
- bug fix on macro searching that caused odd errors
- new feature that enables long-press of setup to deactivate the extender

As always, thanks to my "beta testers" who put this version through its paces that I know I did not have time to do.

Edit: 4/12/11 updated to V1.02 to fix bug in all JP1.3 extenders in LDKP processing

http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9602

-bill

Last edited by unclemiltie on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've built a new version of the extender but have not had time to test it. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send it to you for testing.

This is intended to be the release version. (unfortunately, I could not make the long-press setup-deactivate fit)

IR8 setup code validation
IR8 extender version display

This version requires IR 8, beta 9 at least

If I can get some testers then I'll be able to release this sooner, otherwise it'll have to wait until I get through all of the stuff that I'm working on including rebuilds of all of the JP1.3 remotes
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see base topic, V1.00 released
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Comcast DVR URC1067B JP1.3 Extender Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
I just uploaded V1.00 of the extender for the Comcast DVR URC-1067B JP1.3 remote. This remote is generally one with the "red" OK/Select button (the Gray "OK" 1067 is the JP1.2 remote) To be sure that you have the right remote, this remote has "1003" written on the circuit board just above the JP1 connector in the battery compartment and will register with signature 30393039.

Bill, I had 30393039 with "1003" for 2-3 days. After that, Comcast gave me 30393039 with "JP1.3" by the pins. Red OK button. OK to use this extender?
How seriously must I take your instructions about merging/using .hex file on the untouched Comcast version? I'd prefer, but not that important, to merge over the 4 upgrades and few macros I put in.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 3 of these remotes, all delivered in late April 2009. One has "1003" along the 1-3-5 pins. A second has "JP1.3" along the 2-4-6 pins. The third has "JP" next to the 1-2 pins. There may be more written after "JP", but it is obscured by the case.

I haven't tried any with an extender, but the remotes appear to function identically.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the signature is 30393039 then you should be OK. If you don't get the right number of blinks on activation, then we have an issue. (the extender checks a few things to make sure that it is working with the right firmware and if it doesn't match, you get the wrong number of blinks)

Starting with a raw download is always best. The JP1.3 remotes have some data in the setup area that I don't quite understand and if it's not right the remote does weird thigns. however, if you started with a virgin file when you started making your configuration, then you're probably ok since those will be right from there.

What you can't do is in IR do a new-remote and expect it to work right, it won't
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, sorry to be a pest ... not sure what to do with an error message about dev3 (CD/AUD) setup 0000 is invalid and red. I saved the converted file (IR implied I shouldn't save with error), but don't want to proceed without your advice.

IR 8.0.1 RC1
RDF from the v1 extender zip file is in the RDF directory
Extinstall from the zip file is in the IR directory
I merged, using IR merge, the .HEX file with the standard IR file from the ORIGINAL download as you suggested it's best. All device setup codes became 0000, but only the red dev3 is flagged.

Proceed to add my upgrades or fix things?
--------------------------------------------------------
EDITED bit later:
I now merged the .HEX file into the IR file which had my 4 upgrades, keymoves and macros.
All device types are ok, all setup codes are 0000 and the dev3 is RED.
All keymoves are there, but the source devices have N/A all across the board.
All macros are intact, and the extender default macros are inserted above mine.
All device tab things look ok
All protocols added by Extinstall are ok. I had none here.

So I still will need advice. Readme, while nice, doesn't cover, or uses different words, about those setup codes on the General tab.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz

the jp1.3 remotes really don't like it when the setup codes are not either in the list in the ROM or an upgrade. This is an enhancement in IR 8 that does setup code validation from the list of devcies in the remote or in your upgrade table.

you need to change the device to something valid, then all will be good. There should be a pulldown of valid devices that you can put in there if you don't know what to look for

-bill
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I'm lost, totally lost. What means valid/invalid?
I just retried the extinstal job on the original dump, and got the same error again. The setup codes and types gotta be valid - Comcast put'm in and when I ran Widget, it all looked ok.
Zip file contains original dump, a picture, and the same file converted
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7151
I sure hope you can help and explain me more.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A valid setup code is one that is in either the upgrade table or in the built-in list in the ROM of the remote.

it is possible that the Comcast shipped with one of them set to zero or that the list that I put into the RDF isn't right, but IR will tell you that the setup code is not valid and put it in red if it's not in the list in the RDF

i went a step further in the JP1.3 extender RDF's to tell IR to "enforce" the setup codes.

so the easy way to do this is to change the setup code for the one that is red to a valid one. if you think that the one that you are using for that device really is valid, please let me know. But the remote does a check of the setup codes every time through and if they are not valid, it gets mad and resets lots of stuff including erasing the extender. So you don't want to do that!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabeth, as you know remotes can be very finicky about what you upload. How often have you uploaded an image and when you downloaded the remote again, the setup codes were all set back to the defaults. That's the usual scenerio when you put junk into the remote. This new feature was added because one of the more expensive remotes didn't fix the codes on a reset, it just kept checking and resetting over and over again, an infinite loop. So a safeguard was written into ir8 to prevent an invalid code from being uploaded to the remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,

You can just R-click on the red code, pick Code Selector and get a list of good ones. Then just dbl-click one of them. It's a really nice feature.

I've been burned by bad setup codes and it's not pretty. The code list is most likely correct. But if you're certain 0000 is a good code, post back. To be certain, with no extender, try to manually assign 0000 to the AUD key and see if it takes. I'm betting it won't.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej, I have never had nor intend to have 0000 setup. It's what IR forced on me Sad
Bill & Vicky, I finally understand what you were telling me, hurray!

OK, so I used the code selector. Brilliant feature.
I changed the CBL and TV devices to the numbers they should be. So, thanks to all for the help.

But a new problem cropped up with AUX and dev3.
It has to do not just with setup codes, but with device types. Like this:
1. On AUX I have a receiver. Setup code 2022. In RM type is Tuner. In unextended file it's CD/Audio. When extinstal ran, it got type VCR/DVD. But the list of Codes is for the CD/Audio types.
2. On dev3 I have DVD. Setup code 1558. In RM type is DVD. In unextended, it's VCR/DVD. When extinstal ran, type became CD/Audio. But the list of Codes is for my tuner (2022)
See image
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7152
I see no such problem on that original file conversion.

Since I will be starting from the original download and will be adding upgrades to the newly made extended IR file, should I change the types somewhere along the way and if so, where. I'm terrified of making a mistake since don't even know if can reset the remote safely (more study to do, I know)
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: starting from the original image causes no issues, the extender is fine, thank you Bill for writing it.

Starting from an updated image in non-extender mode may cause issues, as described above.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: No FAV/SCAN tab in IR? and a Keymove question Reply with quote

How can I use the Fav button which this remote has? I don't see a tab in IR to make the minimacros list like i see and use in 8910.

One other question. I see in IR8 that when I make a keymove, I can select the old EFC and HEX but also Key. Can Key really be used? Let's say I have a keymove on shift-2. And I want to share it with another device. Do I just select shift-2 as a key instead of the hex values which the first shift-2 represents?

And what if shift-2 is a macro? Would that work on the keymove sheet? Or would it not make it a DSM or be illegal?

Oh, I almost forgot. I finally got the extender in and love it. It's lightning fast (3-4x the speed of C7 or 6131 and I think even more than that compared to unextended Comcast). Really nice, thank you Bill, and thanks to all for holding my hand here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: