JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

trying to get two Replays to work with 8910 and KM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leesweet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: trying to get two Replays to work with 8910 and KM Reply with quote

I created two device files in KM for ReplayTVs (unit 1 device 1616 and unit 2 1617), and loaded them into IR along with the protocol (Replay Advanced), all as specified in the JP1 for Beginners doc and using the Replay 5000 device KM file as a starting point.

Assigned the two devices to the Cbl and CD keys, loaded the remote, and keys seem to be randomly bogus. For example, Play brings up the Replay Menu, select does FastRwd, even a number press (6) tranmits a 1, etc.

Is there an easy thing I missed or do I need to post the IR file for you folks to take a look at?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to check is that the functions from the function tab are assigned to the right buttons on the buttons tab. If they are consistently wrong (sunch as record is always play) you may have to re-assign the efc's to the correct functions.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure that you changed the remote in KM before copying the protocol and upgrades to IR.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
leesweet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils, this wasn't fromn scratch. The new devices started with the replay 5000 file that Rob recommended. All basic functions are already correct, AFAICT.

gfb, it says 9910/8910, as it should.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee

I looked at the KM file and it looks good. It did bring up a thought, did you copy both the device upgrade and upgrade protocol to IR?
leesweet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just like in the doc. Copied the protocol, copied the device. Copy/paste to the appropriate section, both show properly as a protocol (145) and devices that use protocol 145.

Beats me how it can be so wrong.. Smile (And, when Rob gets to read this, the Replay sure has 'unit 2' in the one I'm testing it with!)
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I did notice after asking that you did use the upgrade protocol. Unless someone else can think of something you should probably zip the 2 KM files and IR file to the diagnostics area so we can look at it.
leesweet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks, if no has a suggestion by tonight, I'll do that and post the filename here.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first off, the R5k file is designed to be used for the R5k remote. All the functions are assigned to the correct buttons for that remote. The functions will not necessarily end up on the right buttons once you change the remote to 8910/9910, so be sure to visit the Buttons tab and make sure you like the way the buttons are arranged.

You mentioned that you assigned the two upgrades to the CBL and CD buttons, but you didn't mention all the little details (and I suspect this is where the problem lies)

Q1. What device mode did you use for the upgrades? Did you create them both as VCR upgrades? (ie, VCR/1616 and VCR/0617)
Q2. When you copied the copes over to IR.exe, did you change the device mode in IR? (eg, change VCR/1616 to CBL/1616)
Q3. What do you see assigned to the CBL and CD buttons in IR's General tab, do you see:

CBL = VCR/1616 and
CD = VCR/1617

or do you see...

CBL = CBL/1617 and
CD = CD/1617

If you changed the device modes in IR, that is the cause of your problem. If you want these codes to be CBL and CD codes, you must create them that way in KM.

Sorry if I've missed the true cause here, I'm guessing about the details that weren't specified.
leesweet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sorry for the omissions.. no idea what people need to troubleshoot these!

1. Both new devices are VCRs 1616 and 1617
2. No, the CBL button shows VCR 1616, as it did with the basic one (VCR/0616), etc.
3. Huh? I thought we were assigning a new VCR device to the CBL/CD buttons?

Looks like I might be missing a step in the comprehension process here.... why would the 'type' of device button matter? We can make them VCRs, can't we?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make all 8 device keys vcr's if ya want. But every setup code assingned to them will have to be vcr types as well.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leesweet wrote:
Okay, sorry for the omissions.. no idea what people need to troubleshoot these!

1. Both new devices are VCRs 1616 and 1617
2. No, the CBL button shows VCR 1616, as it did with the basic one (VCR/0616), etc.
3. Huh? I thought we were assigning a new VCR device to the CBL/CD buttons?

Looks like I might be missing a step in the comprehension process here.... why would the 'type' of device button matter? We can make them VCRs, can't we?

I'm shooting in the dark here trying to guess what you might have done wrong. Obviously the process works because we've all used it, but somehow you've managed to break it.

The hunch I was working on was that you had created two VCR codes and then you changed the device mode in IR during the cut & paste process, which would result in the kind of symptoms you are reporting.

If you created both codes as VCR codes, you should indeed see VCR (or VCR2) displayed as the device type when you press either the CBL or CD buttons. Another option would have been to create the upgrades as CBL and CD codes, which would have preserved the VPT.

Maybe you just need to zip both KM files and the IR.exe file together and put them in the Diagnosis Folder. Rather than spending hours trying to guess what you did wrong, I bet any one of us will spot it in a second if we see the files.
leesweet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. I asked way up there if that was the best way... Smile

BTW, pressing the device buttons gives me VCR/1616 and 1617, which is what I thought was correct. I was definitely surprised when things went ape when testing some keys. And, the VPT seems to work, for one thing.

Okay, the file is at Yahoo: leesweet8910.zip. Thanks!
(8910multiunit1 is the IR file, and the Replay files are the KM ones)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you I'd spot it in a second (well actually, it took me about a minute). You appear to have changed the "Button Codes" style from OBC to EFC, but the codes entered are still the OBCs that were in the file. If you change the select back to OBC and re-copy the device upgrades, all will be well.
leesweet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, thought I posted this last night... thanks, that appears to be it. (Looks like I had changed that to EFC because all the examples in the Beginners' doc used EFC.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: