JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Admitting my shame (Harmony ONE & XSight)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Admitting my shame (Harmony ONE & XSight) Reply with quote

Well, I have apparently gone over to the dark side. Crying or Very sad

Got a Harmony ONE Surprised as a post-Christmas present yesterday and in less than 1.5 hours had my Home Theater (ten devices, 12 "activities") humming. Twisted Evil

What a nice toy! (Still had to use my JP1 knowledge to teach the Harmony some commands, however!) Wink

This remote ROCKS!

I have taken a great deal of pride in this JP1 business, but recently, it was just getting too hard and taking up too much time. I will continue participating here in the forum, but I can no longer commit the investment in time that it takes to get my beloved JP1/1.x remotes programmed and working. Crying or Very sad

In particular, the lack of a viable follow-on to the 8910/9910 family (LOTS of devices, Customizable LCD screen to let you know what you are controlling) in the new bunch of remotes coming out today has driven me to this. The X810 series are just ugly (imho), the RS-100 is too hard to make JP1-able and won't have an extender, the other RS'es and the various Cable remotes (Cox, Comcast, and Atlases) all have serious shortcomings in device capability - even my latest favorite, the OCAP URC-1056. Multiplexing does not have ANY WAF in my house. Heck, if I could add a larger EEPROM to my 8910/HTPros, I'd stick with THEM as my primary remotes, but the existing EEPROMs are just too small to handle my needs (I need device upgrades for EVERYTHING now).

I still need JP1 for loading and learning to the Harmony non-standard functions that I want, so JP1 will remain in my repertoire, but I'm going to be less reliant on trying to create entire HT setups on remotes simply not designed to handle it (Although I still want to get my OCAP working for my "secondary" family room HT)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)

Last edited by Capn Trips on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
greenough1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Capn.

My 1056 is setup to control the main HT. It's a slick little remote that I'm really enjoying. I only have 5 (plus an alternative way to use one) devices, so it fits nicely.

Enjoy the Harmony. You've admitted your shame, and that's the hardest part Smile

Best,
jeff
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Admitting my shame Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
The X810 series are just ugly (imho), the RS-100 is too hard to make JP1-able and won't have an extender, the other RS'es and the various Cable remotes (Cox, Comcast, and Atlases) all have serious shortcomings in device capability - even my latest favorite, the OCAP URC-1056.

Well....

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I built an extender yesterday for the 15-100. Unfortunately, I don't have one, so testing is a bit of an issue. A kind soul has offered to send me one though, so I should have it soon.

stay tuned!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless you Bill, for your work, but I would still be way out of my depth trying to make that complex mod to the RS 15-100. Surprised As soon as Robman starts modifying and selling these (like he did for a long time the 6131's), I'll be first in line to get one. Wink

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
Evan_s

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with deciding to use a remote that meets your needs and gets the job done =) Personally I like the atlas remotes but I do have a few less devices that I need to control and I'm not sure what remote I would use or how I would set it up if I needed to control 10 devices.

It seems like OFA has more interesting new remotes in Europe but they don't seem to be making their way state side.

http://www.oneforall-int.com/?pag=39&prodnr=237 looks like a pretty nice remote that would meet your needs. Sadly I think it ends up being cheaper to get a harmony when you consider the cost of importing it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
As soon as Robman starts modifying and selling these (like he did for a long time the 6131's), I'll be first in line to get one. Wink

Yeah right, don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen! Smile

Evan_s wrote:
It seems like OFA has more interesting new remotes in Europe but they don't seem to be making their way state side.

That has often been the case, the reason being that the European OFA and the American OFA are completely different companies. Sure, they both use UEI to actually program the remotes, but the people commissioning the remotes and designing them are different. The new decision makers for the USA are Audiovox, but they don't have anything to do with the European OFA remotes.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan_s wrote:
http://www.oneforall-int.com/?pag=39&prodnr=237 looks like a pretty nice remote that would meet your needs.

Looks good but I have tried the 7555 (similar construction) and didn't like the big rubbery disc in the middle. Prices currently vary wildly in the UK from sub-£20 recently in Tescos (now back up to £29) to £102.34 on Amazon's site. 12 IR devices and one RF for OFA lighting control sounds good, though.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

There's been so much interest expressed in the 15-100 that the next time they go on sale I'm going to buy one and take another look to see if there isn't a simpler way to make it JP1.3-ready. If it weren't such an arm and a leg to modify, Rob might consider selling them, especially now that Bill is interested in extending it.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler wrote:
Steve,

There's been so much interest expressed in the 15-100 that the next time they go on sale I'm going to buy one and take another look to see if there isn't a simpler way to make it JP1.3-ready. If it weren't such an arm and a leg to modify, Rob might consider selling them, especially now that Bill is interested in extending it.

Hi Tommy,

I always thought that Mike's design here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8474&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=59

Looked pretty easy. I would probably use wire-wrap wire instead of ribbon cable, but overall it is as close to a 'factory' result as I have seen.

xnappo
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn,

How does the harmony wizard compare to the xsight(click the Tour link)? There's not a whole lot of detail in the tour, but at least it gives you some idea.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very similar to the Harmony software.

Yes, I went over to the dark side as well, and I have had the 670 for over a year now. As I have said, if OFA had come out with a backlit version of the original 6131, I would have many of them, but we are a Tivo family and the 670 is the best layout I have found. Oh yeah, and the WAF is absolutely unbelievable. Even the kids can use it easily.
mappedyr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who bought one of the Harmony remotes. He was so excited and enthusiastic when he got it. But as time went he changed his mind. One problem is that the Harmony must be charged as often as a cell phone. And some of the functions he needed for his PVR were placed as soft keys where he had to scroll through a menu to get them (his words - I haven't tried it). And the Harmony works fine, as long as you have Internet access and Logitech's site is up running. As I understand it (I may be wrong) you can't really update settings on an off-line Harmony.

In this thread URC-7781 was mentioned. I considered buying one of them (I live in Europe) but I really think there is a catch. You have a "next" and a "prev" key to select which device you want. Imagine scrolling through 11 devices when you look for the CD device?

I still love my URC-8811...

/Kjeld
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mappedyr wrote:
Imagine scrolling through 11 devices when you look for the CD device?

Presumably you could use macro's? Agree that it would be nicer with more actual buttons.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mappedyr wrote:
One problem is that the Harmony must be charged as often as a cell phone.

I'm not sure which model he got, but I use the backlight all the time (comes on with every button push) and I use rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries, and I don't have to recharge them more than once every month and a half or so.

mappedyr wrote:
And some of the functions he needed for his PVR were placed as soft keys where he had to scroll through a menu to get them (his words - I haven't tried it).

That's why I chose the 670. The transport button placement is so similar to the 6131. Even has the chapter skip buttons to put my 7 second back and 30 second forward commands on. My other choice was the 680, but the arrow keys above the select button on the 670 work awesome for page up and page down in the guide.

mappedyr wrote:
And the Harmony works fine, as long as you have Internet access and Logitech's site is up running. As I understand it (I may be wrong) you can't really update settings on an off-line Harmony.

True. That may be the biggest setback, but so far I have not had an issue. I am not trying to make this into a Harmony sales pitch post on this OFA based site, and I still am holding out hope that OFA gets their stuff together and improves their design. Shameful as it is (and it was hard to swallow that pride and go to the dark side), but I do enjoy my 670 right now.
Jim
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding recharging, different Harmonies use different batteries. The 670 requires you to install and replace or recharge batteries. The ONE comes with a proprietary rechargeable battery and charging dock for the remote. I have no problem keeping the dock right in my HT room on a side table and putting the remote on it whenever it's not in use.

Amazon Firestick
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: