JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Admitting my shame (Harmony ONE & XSight)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnash wrote:
I was hoping someone would put out a decent, programmable RF remote with backlighting for around $100-$150 but doesn't seem like that will happen.
You can get a URC-9910 RF backlit JP1 remote on ebay for about $40 shipped.

Last edited by mdavej on Thu May 28, 2009 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the Harmony 520 on clearance at radio shacks for $39.
gregnash

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
gregnash wrote:
I was hoping someone would put out a decent, programmable RF remote with backlighting for around $100-$150 but doesn't seem like that will happen.
You can get a URC-9910 RF backlit JP1 remote on ebay for about $40 shipped.

Not crazy about the URC-9910, I like touchscreen but that one is a bit much for me. I think I will be picking up an Atlas 1056 universal remote.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not crazy about the URC-9910, I like touchscreen but that one is a bit much for me. I think I will be picking up an Atlas 1056 universal remote.

The URC-9910 is NOT a touchscreen remote. Its a hard button remote with a small LCD screen that displays the status. The 9910 is a JP1 remote, where the Atlas 1056 is a JP1.3 remote. So they use different cables.

One of the things you should consider when buying a remote is Learning capability. Some Atlases are learning remotes, but most of them are not.
gregnash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:

The URC-9910 is NOT a touchscreen remote. Its a hard button remote with a small LCD screen that displays the status. The 9910 is a JP1 remote, where the Atlas 1056 is a JP1.3 remote. So they use different cables.

One of the things you should consider when buying a remote is Learning capability. Some Atlases are learning remotes, but most of them are not.

Sorry was thinking that the 9910 was the Kameleon from URC (9960). Amazon is showing the 9910 as unavailable right now. How easy is it to find?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnash wrote:
Sorry was thinking that the 9910 was the Kameleon from URC (9960). Amazon is showing the 9910 as unavailable right now. How easy is it to find?

It's quite hard to find now. When it does show up on ebay, the price usually ends up over $60.
gregnash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so what is another JP1 style remote that is as good as the 9910 and RF? I have been looking at the rf20 kits that you can find but those are UEI remotes and not JP1 that I can tell.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnash wrote:
Ok so what is another JP1 style remote that is as good as the 9910 and RF? I have been looking at the rf20 kits that you can find but those are UEI remotes and not JP1 that I can tell.

There isn't a replacement for the 9910 at the moment. The RF20 remotes are made by URC, not UEI, and you're right that they're not JP1.
gregnash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... why is it so hard to find a nice.. easily programmable RF remote these days? Looks like I will have to stick with something like my 6131n and an IR extender/blaster..
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the RF10, especially for this price:

rfs100
gregnash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it JP1 programmable? I was looking at the RF20/RF30/RF200kit and while they look nice and will do most of what I want the one thing they do not have is pc programmability. I was watching the DVD tutorials for the RF30 and damn just to program one macro in you would have to sit there for hours.. then if something doesnt work properly BAM you have to start over again. I want to be able to sit down, do the programming via computer (even if it takes hours) and know that if my remote dies, gets eaten or turns into skeet that I can pick up a new one and not have to go through the programming again like that.

Maybe that is asking too much or me just being to lazy.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hours? Rolling Eyes
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here to admit my shame as well. I got a deal on some harmony's ($29 shipped for a refurb H360) and thought I'd get my dad one since he wanted the macro button names on his remote to reflect the actual function via the LCD display (a major drawback to JP1 remotes). So in order to set his up online and learn how to do it, I got myself one too.

I have to say the programming wizard is beyond frustrating. I don't see how a JP1 user can stand it. Ever little change requires several steps through the wizards. The number of button clicks for simple tasks is ridiculous. Downloads take minutes, not seconds. Advanced tasks are buried deep within the wizard. Rearranging buttons is very tedious. There are no menus in the program to access anything directly or even see what tasks are available. Macros can only be 5 steps. I could go on and on. Many of the advanced features and customization possibilities we're lucky enough to have in the JP1 world simply aren't there.

Unfortunately, harmony is the first remote many people consider because they automatically assume cheap universals can't do anything. They don't understand that most JP1 remotes can do learning, macros (activities), volume punch through, key moves, advanced codes, etc. even without a JP1 cable. They assume JP1 software is too complex. I'm here to tell you harmony software is way more convoluted than the simple, functional and elegant IR and RMIR programs we have. Sure we have to deal with a few codes and they don't, but it's a small price to pay for the incredible functionality of JP1.

I've also found that having a set of soft buttons with labels on the LCD isn't as great as I thought it would be. You still have to remember which buttons you put there (no different than memorizing key moves). Then you need several button presses to page through to the one you want. That's a lot of time looking at a remote when I'd rather not have to look at the remote at all.

I'm preaching to the choir here, but my brush with harmony has really made me appreciate how wonderful JP1 is.

EDIT: After many hours of programming, I finally have my harmony pretty close to the way I want it. I still hate the software, but I have to admit the remote itself is growing on me. The worst part is the painfully slow downloads. But, on second thought, now that I've got several activities and my devices have lots of additional commands, I'm glad I've got the LCD, even if there is a little hunting required. I don't have to pull out my RM printouts like I do with my JP1 remotes. My dad loves it since he can actually see the names of all the functions, and if anything gets out of whack, the help system on the remote fixes it. However, I still rely on myJP1 remotes for long, fast macros and general programming fun.

Here's to hoping the xsight someday makes it to the US and that some of it's features, like button labels on an LCD (beyond the one-line device labels on the 15-100), trickle down to other JP1 remotes eventually.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after endless delays, the Acoustic Research ARRX18G Xsight Touch is apparently available for purchase.

I haven't seen it in any of the major retailers yet (but AR caters to a, shall we say, more "exclusive" clientele, don't they?) but there are a few "boutique" websites that pop up if you do a Google search apparently selling them (in the $250.00 range), and this listing on eBay for under $100 for anybody interested in checking it out.

(Edit: Although looking at the listing more closely, it appears to be the ARRX15G Xsight Color, without the touchscreen.)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Can your contacts at UEI confirm that the soon-to-be released Nevo C2 and C3 are the latest incarnation of the apparently vaporware AR Xsight? The Nevo also claims DirecTV RF compatibility. Is this true as well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: