JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problems with JP1 (Flash) from DIY and Comcast M1067B3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Problems with JP1 (Flash) from DIY and Comcast M1067B3 Reply with quote

Continued from here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10425

OK, I got the cable just now. I hooked it up but the IR program won't connect to the remote.

With the Interface set on JP1.x, when I click on "Check Interface I get this error message:
"Failed to open JP1.x interface"

I looked at "JP1 For Beginners," located here http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help2/index.shtml . But, it seems to only discuss a parallel interface.

This has been fairly complicated up to now and it looks like things are getting worse.

Oh yes, it's not entirely clear which way to orient the connector, but one end of one side had a small triangle. I'm guessing that indicated pin 1.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1221/pinonep1040600oi4.jpg

Last edited by i_am_jim on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: It looks like it has fried the remote. The remote, that was working before I hooked it up to the cable and the IR program, now appears to be completely dead.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get a serial or USB cable? Check out the appropiate troubleshooting guide below.

USB:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5965

Serial:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5964
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a serial cable, connected to Com 1 -- the cable I said I intended to order earlier in this thread.

The remote will not light any buttons. I followed this instruction in the article you linked to:
Quote:
If you can't reset the remote because even the setup button doesn't work, you may have to interrupt power to the remote to reset the processor before the remote will resume operation. Do that by pressing any button while a battery is momentarily disconnected.

Even though no buttons on the remote light, including the Setup function, I ran the jp1xtest.exe test anyway and got this message:
Quote:
**** NO JP1.x COMPATIBLE REMOTE FOUND! ****
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think I've guessed right which orientation is Pin 1? I'm not very happy the thing came with no indication of Pin 1.

As for his suggestion that I "watch the red light" while running the test. My unit has no red light.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try it the other way around. Although the arrow indicates pin 1, there are no guarantees DIY wired it that way. It won't hurt anything and may even wake up your remote. And make sure nothing else on your pc is trying to use com1 (activesync, hotsync, etc.). Hang in there.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
I'd try it the other way around. It won't hurt anything and may even wake up your remote.

I tried it the other way -- no change.

Quote:
And make sure nothing else on your pc is trying to use com1 (activesync, hotsync, etc.). Hang in there.

There is nothing else on this port. I only have one other device that uses a serial port and that's a card modem with it's own serial port set up as com 3. This is connected to com 1. Hooking up the cable did something, because the device no longer gives any sign of life, so something had to happened when I connected it the first time -- the connection made it stop working. Are there any of the pins on the JP connector I can check for voltages to see if the remote is alive at all?

I appreciate your cheery words, but I don't see anywhere to go from here.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pins are a little close together and my hands shake so I can't be entirely sure but I measured 3v between pin 3 and every other pin on the remote's JP1.3 connector.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the remote became unresponsive after the initial connection, the cable may have been shifted over one set of pins or was upside-down.

Are you certain com1 is enabled in the bios? Do you see it in device manager? Also, some software like activesync, etc., will try continuously to open com1 even if you never told it to, so that no other program can use it. If you have access to another computer, that would be worth trying as well.

You've tried removing the batteries and pressing buttons already. Make sure the cable is disconnected when you do that, and leave the batteries out for at least a few seconds.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not impossible, it is EXTREMELY unlikely the interface damaged your remote. Set the interface aside and concentrate completely on getting the remote to respond to button presses by flashing whatever it normally flashes. Until you can see some response when you press the SETUP button, so that you can try a manufacturer's reset, you're wasting your time on the interface.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried new batteries to see if that's your problem?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
If the remote became unresponsive after the initial connection, the cable may have been shifted over one set of pins or was upside-down.

There is not room in the opening for the pins to be shifted. As I explained earlier in this thread I assumed the small diamond indicated pin 1 and I hooked it up that way initially. This first hookup caused the remote to quit working. Since this first event I have tried reversing it and nothing changed. If you haven't read this exchanges about this problem I urge you to do so.
Quote:
Are you certain com1 is enabled in the bios?
Yes
Quote:
Do you see it in device manager?
Yes
Quote:
Also, some software like activesync, etc., will try continuously to open com1 even if you never told it to, so that no other program can use it.

The port is open, active and available.

Even if it weren't it would not explain the remote going dead after the first connection.

Quote:
You've tried removing the batteries and pressing buttons already. Make sure the cable is disconnected when you do that, and leave the batteries out for at least a few seconds.

That's how I did it. I did this several times and during the last few I held a button down for about 15 seconds then another for the same time and then two at once for the same 15 seconds.

Last edited by i_am_jim on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
Have you tried new batteries to see if that's your problem?
Yes. And I tested the batteries that were in it originally -- they tested good. I also put them in another remote and they work fine.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a believer in the picture vs 1000 words principle

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_am_jim wrote:
As I explained earlier in this thread I assumed the small diamond indicated pin 1 and I hooked it up that way initially. This first hookup caused the remote to quit working. Since this first event I have tried reversing it and nothing changed. If you haven't read this exchanges about this problem I urge you to do so.

Jim,

I understand you are upset, but we are only trying to help. I've read the whole thread, even though it's not my problem, and I have better ways to spend my time. My post said you can't take the pin 1 indicator as gospel. So even though you connected it properly, DIY may have wired it differently, hence putting your remote in an unresponsive state. No one is blaming you or accusing you of wrong doing. We are only gathering information and offering advice. If some of this seems repetitive, it's only to get a clearer picture. So drop the attitude if you want any more help. Sheesh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: