JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 still best in 2009?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: JP1 still best in 2009? Reply with quote

I have been a happy JP1 user for many years, using a 6131 remote with a parallel-port cable.

Fast forward to 2009. The buttons on my 6131 are wearing out and getting difficult to operate. I no longer have a computer with a parallel port. I will need a converter box soon for the DTV transition in February, requiring a remote reprogram.

Is JP1 still worth it? There are now remotes such as the Logitech One that appear to do most everything JP1 does, and it is mainstream with simple USB internet programming. JP1 is still underground techie hacking.

It seems that I will need to buy a new remote and USB cable to continue with JP1, so maybe I should just get the Logitech One instead. Does this sound like a bad idea?

Any opinions on what I should do (or what you would do) are appreciated.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kinda like asking to folks at the RNC if the Democrats are the way to go this year. Of course we're going to recommend that you stick with JP1 because, for us, it does everything that we need it to do, and when it doesn't, we fix it so that it does. But it probably is best still described as "underground techie hacking" because nobody's getting paid around here.

For the non-techie folks who don't mind paying the extra bucks for the solution, the Harmony probably is the best option.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasons to stick with JP1:

1. You are part of a friendly community and can contribute upgrades for your new equipment and help others out.

2. You can buy 10 remotes for the price of one harmony one (at least!).

3. You have complete control over the remote and can actually do more advanced things than you can with Harmony.

4. Though an LCD menu *seems* like a good idea, it isn't actually ergonomic. JP1 remotes have more buttons with better tactile features (my current favorite is the Atlas line)

5. With Harmony, if you have a new device you will have to play Russian roulette with tech support to get discretes etc - while with JP1 you can do it yourself, or if need be get expert help quickly.

6. JP1 is 1337 (or at least fun)

xnappo

Last edited by xnappo on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:

Hacker-speak for "elite" (eleet)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=1337
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
xnappo wrote:

Hacker-speak for "elite" (eleet)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=1337

Just to be clear, I only used the term in jest Razz

xnappo
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea what it meant (guess I'm not a real hacker) so I had to Google it! Smile
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you guys convinced me to stick with JP1. I resurrected my old computer and used it to reprogram my remote, and I am back in business! Very Happy (It took me a little while to remember how this stuff works - the last time I reprogrammed my remote was 2005!)
westte

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to put my 5 cents worth in - JP1 (JP1.2-3) - still the best

Great support

Remotes that you can really tweak

Sadly I think some of the non OFA remotes - just won't last

Cheers Robert
Dabbith

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP1 is far and away still the best.

I must own at least a dozen JP1 remotes and a half a dozen other universal remotes. I even bought a refurbished Harmony recently to see if it lived up to all the hype. And that same week I bought a "Dell Premium Remote" which has an LCD screen for controlling Media Player. But when I sit down to watch TV what do I use? I use my JP1 remotes. Yup, I keep several lying by the sofa so I never have to reach too far for one. They control my TV, Satellite, Home Automation (lights mostly), PC and anything else I come up with. I've controlled fans and air conditioners, humidifiers, pretty much anything with an IR interface.

Even beyond JP1 remotes themselves, the community here is just so helpful. I learned everything about IR protocols and communications, enough to build my own micro-controller based remote. I've had help decoding protocols for obscure devices that no one else had.

I actually haven't been to visit in a few years since things have been running so smoothly once every remote in my house was customized exactly the way I wanted it to be. JP1 has a learning curve, but once you've got it I don't think you'll find anything out there with as much flexibility.
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I have been thinking about how to replace my dying JP1 remote and unusable parallel interface, and wondering if I should stick with JP1 or switch to Harmony.

Imagine my surprise when I come here to ask for some advice, only to discover I already did this two years ago! Embarassed I guess I already decided, even if I don't remember.

I am happy to see that the JP1 community in 2011 is as strong (or stronger) than ever. Also, there appears to be a good selection of JP1 remotes readily available now that don't require any modifications.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
Lately I have been thinking about how to replace my dying JP1 remote and unusable parallel interface, and wondering if I should stick with JP1 or switch to Harmony.

Replacing the Harmony with a JP1 was the best thing I did. Now, I've relegated in using the Harmony Remote nothing more than a skeleton key to the Harmony Database. Even through the Harmony is pretty idiot proof and had a multitude more pre-existing codes, it still doesn't offer the same benefits as the JP1 remotes do with the tools from this forum. (And all the wonderful people on this board that you'd miss interacting with.)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we made a convert out of eferz! Smile
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the USB cable and the JP1 adapter, and you can program most any JP1 remote on even a new computer (although I've heard of 1.4 which doesn't work?)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyross wrote:
(although I've heard of 1.4 which doesn't work?)

Yet! The JP1 engineers are working on a solution for JP1.4 and JP2 as we speak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: