JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pioneer MIX - review needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Pioneer MIX - review needed Reply with quote

re: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103230

If you look at the latest post in the above thread, you'll see that Mitch is having problems getting the Pioneer MIX executor to completely work for his device. I've tried to program it myself and I can't get RMIR to cooperate, for example, there are many buttons that require a 2-part signal with 165 as the device code for both parts, but if you try to select 165 for part2, it doesn't take if you have part1 selected already. If you select NONE for part1, it lets you select 165 for part2, but if you then select a device code for part1, it changes what you've selected for part2.

Also, we currently have several versions of Pioneer MIX, with each new version adding more functionality. If you have a remote that has an old version installed, but you need the latest version, how do you tell RMIR that you want version 5, for example, if your remote has version 3?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there is something wrong, probably with the PioneerMixTranslator, but it can be done. If you just enter 165 into devOBC1 then you can select 165 for the Prefix Device and either 165 or 175 for the main Device. However, 165 appears twice in the drop-down for Device and you have to select the second one. Selecting the first non-blank item in that drop-down appears to have no effect, it leaves the previous value unchanged. I will look into the problem with the translator.

To use a different version of Pioneer MIX you need to use RMPB. Do the following.

1. Open RMPB and press the Import button on the toolbar.
2. In the dialog box, select Pioneer MIX and then in the second box select the variant you want. Press OK.
3. On the Hex Code tab, select the line for the processor you want and press Import Hex. You can repeat this for more than one processor if you like.
4. Change the Name to something distinctive, say Pioneer MIX 5, the PID to a new value unused by the remote concerned.
5. Optionally, select the Device Data panel. The right hand Data Translators panel shows the text of a Protocols.ini entry with your new PID.
6. Press the Export button on the toolbar, enter a name (without an extension) for a file to hold this entry and press OK.

The AddOns folder in your RMIR installation folder now has a file with the name you gave and a .prot extension. You don't need to do anything with this. Now just open RMIR and you will be able to select your new protocol for a device upgrade, in the usual protocol drop-down, in its correct place in the alphabetical order.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I agree that there is something wrong, probably with the PioneerMixTranslator, but it can be done. If you just enter 165 into devOBC1 then you can select 165 for the Prefix Device and either 165 or 175 for the main Device. However, 165 appears twice in the drop-down for Device and you have to select the second one. Selecting the first non-blank item in that drop-down appears to have no effect, it leaves the previous value unchanged. I will look into the problem with the translator.

That does mean wasting one of the available OBC slots, and in this case, the device uses even more OBC1 values that MIX can handle, so I wrote a new executor for it. But it would be nice to fix this one so that it at least allows you the full complement of OBCs and DEVs that MIX supports.

mathdon wrote:
To use a different version of Pioneer MIX you need to use RMPB. Do the following.

1. Open RMPB and press the Import button on the toolbar.
2. In the dialog box, select Pioneer MIX and then in the second box select the variant you want. Press OK.
3. On the Hex Code tab, select the line for the processor you want and press Import Hex. You can repeat this for more than one processor if you like.
4. Change the Name to something distinctive, say Pioneer MIX 5, the PID to a new value unused by the remote concerned.
5. Optionally, select the Device Data panel. The right hand Data Translators panel shows the text of a Protocols.ini entry with your new PID.
6. Press the Export button on the toolbar, enter a name (without an extension) for a file to hold this entry and press OK.

The AddOns folder in your RMIR installation folder now has a file with the name you gave and a .prot extension. You don't need to do anything with this. Now just open RMIR and you will be able to select your new protocol for a device upgrade, in the usual protocol drop-down, in its correct place in the alphabetical order.

That seems to be a pretty complicated way to use an executor that is already part of protocols.ini. Perhaps for future consideration we could think of adding an easier way for someone to force RM to use a different version than what's built into the current remote. Perhaps there could be a "Version" drop down menu below the "Protocol" menu, so when a protocol is selected that has multiple versions available, the user can pick which one they want, or at least see which one their using.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I agree that there is something wrong, probably with the PioneerMixTranslator

Where is PioneerMixTranslator stored? I assume it's somewhere in RemoteMaster.jar but I can't find it (and there are so many sub-folders).
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I have finally fixed this, though I don't think you will like what I have found. I have had to study the executor, the protocols.ini entry and the PioneerMixTranslator to work out what is going on. The upshot is that the one thing that is correct is the description in protocols.ini:

Quote:
For single-style signals, you may select any of the 4 device numbers entered in Device 0, devOBC1, devOBC2, or devOBC3.

For double-style signals, the prefix device number must be entered in Device 0. Prefix OBCs may be selected from devOBC1 through devOBC4. The main device number may be selected from devOBC1, devOBC2, devOBC3, devOBC4, or DevP2.

As you see, if you want to use more than one main device value in a two-part signal then you DO have to use one of the devOBC slots. One of the bugs was that the drop-down for Device showed the wrong selection of values. It included Device 0 though selecting it has no effect, and did not include devOBC4 which is a valid choice.

There were bugs in both the protocols.ini coding and in the PioneerMixTranslator. I have tested my fix by creating a setup that included using devOBC4 as a main Device value, uploading it to a remote and checking the signals with IRScope, so am confident that it is correct.

Within RemoteMaster.jar, the PioneerMixTranslator is in com/hifiremote/jp1/translate. If you feel like editing that and replacing the .class file, I can post the corrected PioneerMixTranslator.class file and protocols.ini for you, otherwise it will have to wait till the next RMIR release, which is still some way off. Unfortunately the stage I am at in my development work is such that it is not currently in a state in which I can post a development build.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I found the class file. I thought I remembered that you could read them with Notepad, but I see that it's actually compiled code. If the next build is still a ways off, maybe you could put the class file and protocols.ini into a zip file and post it, so if anyone needs it they could use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: