JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

jp12 read failed -1 (fixed w/fresh batteries)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killer2600

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: jp12 read failed -1 (fixed w/fresh batteries) Reply with quote

Ok after some troubles I got my JP1.x interface working properly with my 15-135 and uploaded an upgrade on it with no problems. Now a few days later after enjoying and toying with the remote I go to use the interface and upload another upgrade I run into issues.

My current symptoms now are "check interface" in IR runs well and finds the remote. Download remote fails with the "jp12 read failed -1" message, upload to remote successfully uploads but IR finishes with a "data read back is not same as written" (or something along that line as I don't remember the exact message. The upload part I don't quite get as the remote takes the upgrade and works as expected yet IR fails on the verification?

Not sure where to start looking as I didn't change anything interface or PC wise. Did gravity, air, time break my interface? Did turning my computer off break IR?
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running the latest version of IR? If not download and reinstall. I had EXACTLY the same symptoms.....
greenough1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob or other experts monitoring this thread. I can't find the trouble shooting link that others have also noted is gone. Here's the url for it:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4460

I even posted the link in response to someone having a jp1.2 interface issue.

jeff
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, just this week I rewrote and reposted my troubleshooting guides related to JP1.2/JP1.3 to try and clean them up and clarify the differences between USB and Serial interfaces. As I recall, it was Killer2600's thread started November 15 that prompted my action, because I ran across a dead link while chasing down test instructions. Have you looked in the Files>Miscellaneous>Hardware Designs section at the two new Troubleshooting documents at the end of the list?

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused. When something like this is changed I realize the proper thing to do is edit all links to it, but there have been so many posts linking to this subject I can no longer find all of them them.

Tommy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which version of the doc was at that old address, but here are the two files that Tommy just mentioned:

Serial:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5964

USB:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5965
greenough1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed the information that was already there Wink. I agree that back editing *all* old posts is just not possible.
How about adding links to these files in a sticky (existing probably) with a name change for the sticky to include "troubleshooting"?

I didn't think to check the files section.

Best,
jeff
Killer2600

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again thanks for all the help so here goes the results of the troubleshooting and answers to your questions.

The version of IR is 7.14, and it worked properly the first day

jp1xtest results as follows:
jp1xtest version 0.00

**** FOUND A JP1.x COMPATIBLE REMOTE ON COM1! ****
Signature is 30853085
Memory address is $0600
Memory size is $1600 (5632)

loopback test--pin 4 routed to pin 6 (through 10k resistor) on jp1.x 6-pin connector with pins 1 and 3 connected to remote for power.

As you see everything "tests" good but I can't IR to do a download or finish an upload as it should (error free).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenough1 wrote:
I agree that back editing *all* old posts is just not possible.

I have just edited all old posts that refer to the missing doc so that they now refer to both of the new docs that Tommy added.

Just as an FYI for anyone maintaining a doc like this, rather than deleting the old doc (and therefore creating many bad links) you should REPLACE the old doc with a new version, as that way the old links will still work.

@killer2600, someone else will have to help you with your connection problems, as it's not one of my areas of expertize.
Killer2600

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump

Well I've exhausted my knowledge and see no hardware issues so does anyone have any ideas?

Anyone....Anyone......bueller........bueller Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer, is this a serial or USB interface, and did you make it yourself or buy it (and if so, from where?)
Killer2600

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Killer, is this a serial or USB interface, and did you make it yourself or buy it (and if so, from where?)

Back again eh, it's a serial interface. The schematic is tommy's jp1.x serial interface design using 2n3904 transistors, 1n914 diodes (both 2n2222 transistors and 1n4001 diodes were tried), and 4.7k resistors except for the pull up's powered by the remote which are 1k (tommy's original schematic spec before the rewrite).

So yea it's self built on a breadboard and for the original first time download and upload worked flawlessly. I only did the one upload the first day and was done until a few days later when I had more upgrades setup for upload. Since I already had a download of the remote I didn't bother to do another (although maybe I should have since I played around with the power macro and 994 key moves/EFC assignments--I undid all keymoves and assignments before the 2nd upload though).

That's when I got the "data read back not same as written" or however it's exactly worded after the upload. After seeing the message I though maybe I should do a download first so I attempted to and just got the "jp12 read failed -1" error. I checked the remote after all this and verified it successfully acquired the upgrade even though IR didn't finish so nicely. Ever since I've been trying to get things back to the way they were/should be but IR won't do a download raw or other, and uploads never finish in IR without the read back error.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only JP1.x serial design in the file section at the moment, is this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5958

Is that what you're working from, or do you have an older design that Tommy has since deleted? (and if so, please load a copy of it, so people know which design needs troubleshooting).

I'm not going to be able to help you troubleshoot as it's not my area of expertise, I'm just trying to get you to post the sort of info that I think others would need.
Killer2600

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The only JP1.x serial design in the file section at the moment, is this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5958

Is that what you're working from, or do you have an older design that Tommy has since deleted? (and if so, please load a copy of it, so people know which design needs troubleshooting).

I'm not going to be able to help you troubleshoot as it's not my area of expertise, I'm just trying to get you to post the sort of info that I think others would need.

That's the one (the one with the 3 transistors), only changes at this time are R1 and R2 are 1k ohm.

I honestly don't believe the interface is at fault as it passes all the known tests and functionally works--as I've checked it over with an oscilloscope.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried new/fresh batteries? Make sure pin 5 of the JP1.3 connector is clipped off or disconnected at the cable connector end.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 30853085 remote is the Radio Shack 15-13x (x=3,4,5) which is JP1.3. Please make sure that you either remove pin 5 from the connector on the remote (not a great idea) or clip the wire for pin 5 AT THE HEADER that plugs into the remote. JP1.3 is very sensitive to this, JP1.2 is not.

I've seen the failures that you mention without clipping pin 5 or by thinking that you can just not terminate the wire for pin5 on your interface board. (the long wire turns into an antenna and makes the interface do weird things). Whatever solution you pick it has to be done on the "remote end" of the wire and not on the interface end.

-bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: