JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Building a device from HEX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tacobilly93

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Building a device from HEX Reply with quote

Greetings,

As a continuation of the Enseo remote saga, I am preparing build my devices for this project.

One device will be the TV controls (pretty straight forward from existing devices). The second device will be a IPTV set top box.

The manufacture for the set top box (Brightsign) has posted the codes their remotes use. This is helpful when you want to put those commands into a control system like Crestron.

I also happen to a Brightsign remote in my possession along with a Global Cache IR learner. I have captured the raw HEX data, ran it through IRLearner and got my pronto codes to build my device.

As an example, I want to program my Enseo remote with the POWER functions of the IPTV set top box. According to the website, the provided remotes use a custom code of: 6F90 with a unique code of 0x16 for POWER. They also included the decimal value of 7311382 if needed. When I capture the HEX from the IPTV remote POWER button and run it through IRLearner, I get:
Protocol - NEC1
Device - 111
OBC - 22
EFC - 118

It sounds like the more accurate way to go about this would be to grab the IR signals, decode and manually build my device from those results.

I have a two part question after discovering this:

1. Is the direction that I'm thinking about building a device off the captured HEX correct? Or is there a better way?

2. Since I want to control two devices with this remote (which has no dedicated device buttons on the remote), is it possible to use macros on certain buttons that are bound to a different device? The hope is that the user doesn't have to flip between devices because the remote cannot really give feedback about which device is being controlled. For instance, the user presses the power button which turns the TV on. Then the user presses CH+ which tells the set top box to move one channel. Is that possible without utilizing other buttons as device buttons?

I've been looking in the forums about the macro question, but either I've glossed over it or haven't found it yet.

Thanks!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many ways, but I would simply learn all the commands on the Enseo, load into RMIR, go to the Learning tab, select all the learned commands and click "Convert to Upgrade". That will build the upgrade for you.

If you ultimately want them in other formats (pronto, etc.), use IRScrutinizer to convert your upgrade all in one shot.

You're asking for what we call DSM's or Device Specific Macros. I don't remember if this remote has that built in. But it's really not necessary since you just want to launch from one device anyway and can just add any device switching inside the macro itself. For example, if you want the Green button to switch to TV input 3 then tune CBL channel 123, the macro would be: TV, Input3, CBL, 1, 2, 3.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding controlling 2 devices with this remote, you have 2 choices.

1. You can think of this as a single remote and program each button to either do something on the TV or the IPTV, like POWER works the TV, CH+ works the IPTV, etc. If you want to go this route, first create an upgrade for each device, then program the one with the most buttons to the main device mode and program the buttons for the other one using keymoves.

2. Treat this as a 2-device remote and dedicate 2 buttons to be your device buttons. The TV button could be the TV device button and you can pick an unused button to be the IPTV, or perhaps you could use the colored buttons to be device buttons. If you go this route, you would program macros to the 2 "device" buttons, one with the "A" device button in it, and another with the "B" device button in it.
Tacobilly93

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Regarding controlling 2 devices with this remote, you have 2 choices.

1. You can think of this as a single remote and program each button to either do something on the TV or the IPTV, like POWER works the TV, CH+ works the IPTV, etc. If you want to go this route, first create an upgrade for each device, then program the one with the most buttons to the main device mode and program the buttons for the other one using keymoves.

2. Treat this as a 2-device remote and dedicate 2 buttons to be your device buttons. The TV button could be the TV device button and you can pick an unused button to be the IPTV, or perhaps you could use the colored buttons to be device buttons. If you go this route, you would program macros to the 2 "device" buttons, one with the "A" device button in it, and another with the "B" device button in it.

Robman, I believe you have given me this sage advice before..lol. I think from the end users desired usage, the single device with keymoves makes the most UI sense if you will. I will focus on going in that direction.

mdavej, I'm not sure if this remote has learning ability. I have been told that this remote is built off a well known UEI remote design though. Unfortunately, IRSrutinizer doesn't recognize the Global Cache reader (or if it does, I haven't figured out how yet). So I find myself doing that two step dance of capture in iLearn, then decode in IRScrutinizer or the Pronto IR tool.

Although, it looks like I can do the old cut and paste HEX from iLearn into the Learning Tab as a new device and go from there.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately, IRSrutinizer doesn't recognize the Global Cache reader

IrScrutinizer supports GlobalCache Units with built-in learners (like the iTach Flex), but unfortunately not the learner GC-IRL. It would not be terribly hard to support it, but since it is not widely spread, kind-of expensive (costs more than the mentioned iTach Flex, which can do MUCH more), end-of-life and quite "legacy" -- and I do not own one, I have not implemented support.

If you have further questions or suggestions, let's hear.

The learning device of my preference is this one, but it requires soldering.
Tacobilly93

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GC-IRL was a learner that I've had for a bit from other jobs. I also have a Crestron IR learner, but it really only wants to work with Crestron software.

I've used iTach products quite a bit for installation work, but never got around to getting one for myself.

I was able to make the GC-IRL work, I just had to do some manual steps between the two pieces of software, no biggie but good to know going forward.

In other news, I believe I have a working prototype for my client. I went the keymove route with two devices on the remote. Unfortunately, I do not have the equipment in front of me to test, however I was able to confirm the proper codes were being sent from the intended buttons.

There will be a little bit of back and forth as I hammer out any issues. Thanks to everyone who helped me out from no RMIR / JP1 experience to where I am at now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: