JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-1289
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, assign something to those 2 buttons, and then see if you can activate the functions using long or short presses of the ffwd/rew buttons.

To summarize, we suspect that there are really 2 buttons built into one, for each of the ffwd and rew buttons, where a short press invokes one function and a long press invokes the other. So, if you assign 4 unique functions to the 4 buttons, you can then experiment to see which one is which. Perhaps the buttons listed in the RDF for ffwd and rew are the short presses, but they might also be the long presses. Graham wouldn't know this from the data that he had to work with.
alfalfa

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I hope my explanation is understood.

If in the file "364801 (URC-1289 Contour 8 LA).rdf" (in the RDF folder) I add the following in the [Buttons] section:

FN1=$94
FN2=$95

When I edit a "Device" in RMIR in "Device Upgrade Editor" two new "Buttons" appear, FN1 and FN2. And if I assign a new "Function" to these, they appear in the "Menu" and "Info" keys in the "Shift" column.

I don't know how to use them; holding down the "Menu" or "Info" key doesn't do anything different than its original function.
But if I press the "ffwd/rew" buttons they do the assigned functions to FN1 and FN2.

For the latter, I believe that there is something wrong in the configuration since these functions should be in "ffwd/rew" and not in "Menu/Info".

Greetings
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not what Rob meant. Leave the RDF alone. Put it back the way it was. Assign some function to button94, button95, ffwd and rew and see what the long and short presses do.

If you subtract $80 hex from those codes, you'll get the button codes for Menu and and Info. That's how shifting works. But none of that has anything to do with this function testing.

Alternately, manually record a macro that includes both long and short presses of ffwd and rew. Then look at the macro in RMIR and see what buttons were recorded. That will reveal what's what.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange that UEI has used $94 and $95 for what I believe are long presses of Rewind and FastFwd as these codes are also the codes for Shift/Menu and Shift/Info, as mdavej explains. I can see no logic behind having Shift/Menu and Shift/Info in the Button Map but having separate codes for short and long presses of Rewind and FastFwd makes much sense and has been seen on other remotes. However, this use of the codes with Shift causes some confusion for RMIR. RMIR creates button names such as button94 and button95, which mdavej mentions, for button codes that it otherwise considers to be invalid. It doesn't do so in this case as it sees these codes as valid codes for Shift/Menu and Shift/Info. Also, we don't actually know that this remote supports the use of the Setup button as a Shift key.

I suggest that, for the time being at least, you disable the Shift function in RMIR by adding the line

Code:
Shift=0

to the [General] section of the RDF. This does not affect the remote at all, only how RMIR sees it. You will no longer get a Shift column in the Buttons tab of the Device Upgrade Editor but will get button94 and button 95 as button names next to the entries for Rewind and FastFwd. You can, if you wish, add your entries for FN1 and FN2, in which case they will show up with these names instead of button94 and button95 but there is no need to do so or benefit in doing so.

I hope this explanation makes sense to you. You should now be able to do the testing Rob and mdavej suggest.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add, once you've added the functions as described (and it doesn't matter what the functions are, just anything where you will know that it happened), when you do the testing, include long and short presses of FFWD, REW, MENU and INFO in your testing, and if none of those yield any results, try shifted versions of all four (ie, tap SETUP first, then tap the button).

Remember, the goal is to see where the two functions that you assigned to 94 and 95 show up.
alfalfa

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Leaving the original RDF and if I do this configuration:

https://i.postimg.cc/fTnMK6dK/config.jpg

Short or long pressing the Menu or Info keys does the same.
But if I short press the FFWD or REW keys it does what is expected (FFWD or REW), but if I do a long press FFWD or REW keys the STB turns off and turn on.

I hope it is understood.

Thank you!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, I tried doing this myself and RM doesn't show the 94 and 95 buttons when you're trying to configure an upgrade, so I found that I did have to add them to the RDF, like alfalfa suggested, in order to do this test. I thought RM still showed the buttons with generated names like Hex94 or something like that.

Without an RDF change, would using shifted MENU and INFO do the same thing? If so, his tests proved your point because he assigned POWER to those buttons and got the results with long presses of FFWD and REW.
alfalfa

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The Robman wrote:

Without an RDF change, would using shifted MENU and INFO do the same thing? If so, his tests proved your point because he assigned POWER to those buttons and got the results with long presses of FFWD and REW.

Yes, but why works in "shifted MENU/INFO" and not in "shifted FFWD/REW"?

Greetins
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't know why UEI chose those keycodes we just know that they happen to also be the keycodes for shift MENU and INFO. So, if Graham agrees, we will probably add them to the button list with names reflecting what they really are. I'm guessing the short press should be SKIP +/- and the long press should be FFWD/REW, would that make sense?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Graham, I tried doing this myself and RM doesn't show the 94 and 95 buttons when you're trying to configure an upgrade

As I explained in this post, you have to add

Code:
Shift=0

to the [General] section of the RDF for button94 and button95 to show up, as otherwise RMIR thinks these are already valid codes as shifted buttons. That, of course, prevents RMIR from setting codes on shifted buttons though it does not prevent the remote from acting on them if they have been set on button94 and button95.

If the remote supports shifted keys then Shift/Info and Shift/Menu will send codes 0x94 and 0x95 just as long presses of Rewind and FastFwd do, so they will have the same effect. I cannot see from his posts, though, whether alfalfa tried Shift/Info and Shift/Menu. That should be tried, as it seems strange if UEI has used codes for long presses that are already available on shifted buttons.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the choice of button code by UEI is odd, but it is what it is. We do need to find out if the remote supports shifting for other buttons. If it does, I think we will need to restrict shifting for those 2 buttons, and then add them as SKIP type buttons to the master list. This should allow them to be programmed normally without accidentally overriding them with shifted MENU or INFO codes.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
We do need to find out if the remote supports shifting for other buttons. If it does, I think we will need to restrict shifting for those 2 buttons, and then add them as SKIP type buttons to the master list.

Agreed. I have created an RDF that does this that I am ready to post if it is confirmed that the remote supports shifted keys. I have RMIR v2.14.15 ready for official release, including the RDF and map for this remote once this question is settled.
alfalfa

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are asking me to make "364801 (URC-1289 Contour 8 LA).rdf" look like this:

Code:

[General]
Name=URC-1289 Contour 8 LA
EepromSize=$1000
Processor=S3F80
BaseAddr=$EC00
SegmentTypes=$13 $00 $1A $01 $07 $08 $09 $10
PunchThru=VTC
RDFSync=5
SetupValidation=WARN
AdvCodeFormat=EFC
BlockFormat=N
LearnedFormat=3
ImageMap=URC-1289.map
Shift=0

After doing so the "Shift" column disappears and "button94" and "button95" appear, as mentioned; I assigned them the "Power" function, I pressed all the keys briefly and long and only with "FastFwdv" and "Rewind" the equipment turned off.

Here is an image of the One For All URC-1289. It is an image edited with GIMP of 1280 to avoid having to map the buttons again:

https://i.postimg.cc/4yc7vKrT/URC-1289.jpg
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Getting closer. Ideally, assign two different functions so you can tell which is 94 and which is 95. All you know at this point is both are indeed long presses, but you don't know which is long REW and which is long FFWD.
alfalfa

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
... We do need to find out if the remote supports shifting for other buttons. ....

How do I know if this is so?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried other functions and found it to be like this:

button94 → Rewind
button95 → Fast Forward
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: