JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Roku/Volume oddness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregm60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Roku/Volume oddness Reply with quote

I've run into a weird issue with my remotes and Roku. At first I thought it was a programming issue with my 6131, but the issue also occurs with the new 3660 using the factory Roku code as well. I have VPT set on the Roku device. When operating the navigation buttons on the Roku (left, right arrow buttons mostly) when I go to adjust volume the remote sends a Roku pause command. This does not happen consistently, just enough to be annoying. After operating the volume keys several times the volume starts responding again. At first I thought that maybe the volume codes for my receiver where too similar to the Roku and sometimes a false code was being sent, but I changed the VPT device to the TV device and the same thing happens. What's even more weird is that I cannot duplicate the issue deliberately, it is truly random. Has anyone else see this or have an idea how to fix?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the first question is, are you using a Roku STB or a Roku TV? If it's a TV, I assume you're using the Roku protocol rather than the TV's native codeset? Ie, My Roku TV responds to an NEC1 codeset (which is what the OEM remote sends) and also responds to the Roku TV codeset.
gregm60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using an LG OLED with external Roku STB. I think I found the issue. This TV has the ability to "pair" it with the Roku so that the LG remote will control the Roku. I think the TV was sending random codes to the Roku even though using the URC. I unpaired the TV from the Roku and have not seen the issue since.

Last edited by gregm60 on Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrMoody

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have had weird behavior from commands being sent between devices over HDMI-CEC, recently even. Handy in some cases, though, such as Fire Stick.

Thanks for posting the solution, it will probably help someone else.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Roku cannot be controlled via hdmi-cec, unlike amazon firesticks. Roku's can control other devices via cec, but not be controlled. The only model that could be controlled by a tv oem remote was 3400 mhl stick, it didn't come with its own remote, so it was powered and remote controlled by tv with mhl input. It was sold with the tv.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: