JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using JP1 programming cable again after 7 years
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Using JP1 programming cable again after 7 years Reply with quote

The last time I updated my Atlas OCAP 1056 remote was 2015. Since then, I've upgraded my main computer.

I have a JP1 programming cable with true RS-232. My new computer doesn't have RS-232, but I still have the old computer. I had clean-installed Windows 10 on it for another project. I installed Java jre-8u321-windows-i586.exe and RMIR.v2.13.2-bin.zip, and copied over my RMIR file.

RMIR runs and seems to recognize the remote when the JP1 is connected.
When I uploaded my rmir file, it warned me it would overwrite. There was a blink on the remote's CBL button at the start of the programming, and two blinks at the end.

But the result did not work. Keys were non-functional.

I've been trying to find the guide on the specific process for uploading to this remote, in terms of the expected response and confirmation of a correct programming process. Can anyone point me to that tutorial?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you load into the remote? Did you download from it first? If not, do a 981 reset on the remote (which will wipe out all programming, so be warned), then try downloading from it again and see if that works.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the .rmir file that you uploaded, for us to look at.
timg11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
do a 981 reset on the remote

The symptom was that after my programming, most of the keys didn't work (a few did).

I have the RMIR file, so "MFR Reset - Restore Factory Defaults" is not an issue, and probably a good idea as you advise.
What I see when I try to do 981 reset: I can hold setup until LED flashes twice. I release and press 9 8 1 keys. Nothing happens. No LED flashes.

So I'm thinking this backup remote has suffered "storage rot" and is no longer functioning. It seems like the lower keys don't work but the upper ones do, but I haven't tried to do a detailed test. (It was not stored with batteries, and the battery compartment is clean).

So maybe the first step is to find a new remote. Is there a thread on currently available choices for JP1 remotes of this type? I checked Amazon, and a 1056B03 is available. There is a note "WILL NOT WORK WITH DEVICE THAT REQUIRE A 1056B01" B01 or B03 should not matter as long as it is JP1 compatible right? Would I need to make a change in RMIR to select 1056B03?

My RMIR file is posted here
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
B01 or B03 should not matter as long as it is JP1 compatible right? Would I need to make a change in RMIR to select 1056B03?

RMIR supports the Atlas 1056B03 but it is a JP2 remote which internally is very different from the B01 that is a JP1.3 remote. You will be able to set up the B03 so that in function it is the same as your B01, but it will take quite some effort. Fortunately you do not have an extender installed on your B01, as there are no similar extenders available for the B03. You will, however, have to install the mini-extender that we have for the B03, as you use key moves and the B03 as supplied does not support them. The mini-extender adds keymove capability but does not add any of the features that most extenders provide.

If you decide to go ahead and get a B03, we will be able to help you to get it set up but it is not simply a question of loading your existing setup into RMIR and changing the remote from B01 to B03. Despite appearances, they are completely different remotes.
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mathdon, thanks for the tips. The Amazon seller I linked seems to be confused about what the product it. The listing title and text below are inconsistent. One reviewer gave one star because they received a 1056B01 and they were expecting a 1056B03.

I'll try to find a 1056B01 from somewhere that knows how to identify the model number.
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
I'll try to find a 1056B01 from somewhere that knows how to identify the model number.

FYI, B01 remotes are widely available on ebay. Here's a link to an ebay seller with quite a few new ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144163758032

You can tell its a B01 by looking on the back, just above the battery door.

The B01 is a capable remote with a good extender. Some here don't like it, but I've had good luck with mine

Last edited by Ed on Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Here's a shortened link to an ebay seller with quite a few new ones: ishort.ink/FnEr

Norton blocks that link as dangerous, just post the regular ebay link.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There're few ads selling lots of urc-1056b03 remotes on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=urc-1056b03&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=urc-105603&_osacat=0
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Norton blocks that link as dangerous, just post the regular ebay link.

Sorry Rob,

Here is the link I was trying to point to: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144163758032

Not sure why the link is so long, but that's why I tried shortening it.

Anyway, this seller has more than 10 brand new 1056B01 remotes.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on that link, then add it to your ebay page, then enter ebay from your normal link, click on that remote from your ebay home page, and see what url looks like now?
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - I got a 1056B01 from a family member that was no longer using it.
I read out the programming, saved it, loaded my RMIR file, uploaded it, all without errors and had the expected responses.

This new remote partially works, with a different set of keys responding normally and others doing nothing. As I tried keys in a dark room, I could see the backlight would illuminate for the keys that worked, and did not for the bad keys.

So this is telling me that there's nothing wrong with RMIR, the JP1 cable, or the programming process, but these remotes have all developed button failures while in storage. Maybe there is oxidization on the PC board below the buttons? I'll search and see if anyone has posted anything on a cleaning process.

I started this whole process of programming my "backup" remote because the main one had a few buttons that were unreliable. If this is an age-related condition, I should also be cautious about buying from Amazon or Ebay - they may have the same problems. If not immediately, then soon.

Last edited by timg11 on Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the link to my "watchlist" on ebay and then went to it from the watchlist. Here is the resulting link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144163758032

Much better, it seems.

Now that I figured out how to post the link properly, I see the OP doesn't need it anymore! Very Happy
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Now that I figured out how to post the link properly, I see the OP doesn't need it anymore! Very Happy

I'm going to try a cleaning, but it that fails, I will try the ebay listing you found - it appears the remotes are new and have been in a plastic bag since production, so maybe that helps preserve them?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Here is the link I was trying to point to: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144163758032

Everything starting from the ? is not needed, so you can just delete it. I've modified your post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: