JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Making a key work 4 all dev modes - is that a key move?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Making a key work 4 all dev modes - is that a key move? Reply with quote

It's been years since I've last updated my configuration for my Atlas OCAP 1056 remote.

This one has 5 device modes with buttons on the top (CBL, TV, DVD, AUD, VCR).

I want to define some buttons to send the same code regardless of device mode. Is that what Key Move is for?

I read this wiki,
but it wasn't clear.

Say I want the TV power to be on a button regardless of mode.
Would I create 4 key moves for each of the 4 other device modes other than TV power with the TV power key as device type?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your question is would 4 key moves do what you want, the answer is Yes.

If you are asking if there is a better way, I am not sure. If you have an extender on your Atlas, there may be a way with a single macro. I don't know, as I am not familiar with the Atlas extender. Macros are not device-specific so you can certainly create a macro that selects the TV device then sends the Power signal and that would work in all modes. However, it would leave the remote with the TV device selected, which is not what you want. An extender may provide a way of making a macro return to the device from which it is activated, but as I said, I don't know for the Atlas.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a key work 4 all dev modes - is that a key move? Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
Say I want the TV power to be on a button regardless of mode.
Would I create 4 key moves for each of the 4 other device modes other than TV power with the TV power key as device type?

Could you describe what you're really trying to do, ie, the big picture. I ask because you might not be going about it in the best way.
timg11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@The Robman, I've got this URC Atlas 1056 remote.

Across the top it has the 5 "device mode" buttons.
In RMIR, the General tab has these device buttons mapped to setup codes.

I want the four "color buttons" (A-yellow through D-green) to control power for four devices, regardless of what device mode it is in. I thought that is what key moves is for, but I'm not remembering.

On the Key Moves tab in RMIR, the first column (device button) and second column (key) is the button I want to re-map? And the remaining columns (Device type through EFC-5 or key) represent the behavior I want the button in the first two columns to take on?

So would I need 4 key move rows (one for each device button other than TV) to put the TV power on the C-Red key?

I tried to test by trial and error using my backup Atlas OCAP remote, and it seems programming is not working either (or I've forgotten something) I'll start a new thread on that..
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
I want the four "color buttons" (A-yellow through D-green) to control power for four devices, regardless of what device mode it is in.

Right, but what I'm asking is *why* do you want those buttons programmed that way, what bigger picture goal is that trying to achieve?

I'm in IT and I'm used to business users giving us requirements like that, and we always have to ask the "5 why's" to get to what the really NEED, rather than just what they think they WANT.
timg11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Why is a perceived slight optimization.
The equipment has toggle power commands. I already have a macro to turn everything on and another to turn everything off. Sometimes the dog walks in front of the rack during the macro, or for other reasons the power states get out of sync.

A discrete power button for each piece of equipment with a fixed position on the remote would be more convenient than changing the mode, pressing power and then changing the mode back, and less chance of error.

That's the theory anyway - I wanted to give it a try.
Now I'm having trouble reconstructing the programming environment again - see this thread
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, then yes, keymoves would be the way to do it. You could take care of the current device by duplicating the POWER button onto the relevant COLOR button, but the other 3 would need to be keymoves, so it would take 4*3=12 keymoves to accomplish this for 4 devices. One device mode is going to left out, right?
timg11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new twist on this task.

I'm updating my devices and want to add a new one.
I'd like to delete the TV as a device mode on a button, since it is taking one of the five available.
I don't need any control of the TV other than power.

I want to use the TV button to control the Nvidia Shield instead.

If I delete TV as a device button, I think it will break my power on/off macro, though

Code:
TV;POWER;VCR;POWER;AUD;POWER;VCR

How can I make the macro control the TV power if TV isn't a device mode? (in my case the VCR button is controlling SageTV HD300)

I'm already making these key moves to put TV Power on the Green button in the other modes, such as VCR and DVD.

Could I reference a key move in the macro? Would this work to send the TV power as the keymove from DVD-green?
Code:
DVD;D[green];VCR;POWER;AUD;POWER;VCR

Last edited by timg11 on Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is program the TV's POWER function to a button and then re-use the TV device button for the Nvidia Shield. You can program the TV POWER function to any button in any device mode, it could even be a shifted button or a phantom button.
timg11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand how to program functions to buttons in the Device Upgrade Editor that opens if I click on Edit while selecting a device row on the Devices tab.
The Device Upgrade Editor has a Functions tab where all the functions of that device are offered, and the Layout tab where they can be assigned to buttons.

For example if I open the Nvidia Shield device, I don't see a way to program a TV power button from there since there are only the Shield Functions available. Is it a done as a keymove or is there another way to program the TV Power button independent of the Device Upgrade Editor?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can even do it on the remote itself. First, program the TV setup code to the TV device button, then keymove (994) the POWER button to another button. Then re-program the TV device button with the Nvidia setup code. The keymove you programmed above will still remain.

If you know the EFC for the TV's power button, you can program it using RMIR too.
timg11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks @The Robman! I was able to reference the TV Device and Power from keymoves from the other modes. So that part works great.

I tried one further optimization. I wanted to automatically set the AV receiver input when selecting the Device Mode. So when I press the DVD button, the Denon would select the BlueRay input. When I press the VCR button, the Denon would select the SageTV input. When I press the TV button, the Denon selects the Nvidia input.

I though the way to do this is to define new Macros:

Macro on DVD key: AUD;3;DVD
Macro on VCR key: AUD;2;VCR
Macro on TV key: AUD;6;TV

Unfortunately this doesn't work - these function keys don't work at all. I expected the macro function would be smart enough to avoid recursion, but maybe not.
I expected the DVD button macro to do this: Select the Audio device, Select input 3 (BluRay), then select the DVD device. (the basic function of selecting DVD as the device, not call the macro again...)

From the Macro dialog, it seems to use only "physical buttons", not Device / button combinations like in Key Moves.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very rare for a remote to allow you to program macros to the unshifted device buttons, but most of them will let you program macros to the shifted device buttons. ("Shift" means tap the SETUP button first, then tap the button in question).

The way I program my remote is, I have macros on the shifted version of each device button which turn everything on for that device. For example, shift/CBL will turn on the cable box, turn on the TV and turn on the stereo receiver, and it will put them all in the right input mode to watch the cable box/DVR on the TV with sound coming from the stereo. Shift/POWER turns everything off.
timg11

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@The Robman, thanks for the insight. I'm getting back to working on this and trying your suggestion of using "Shifted" keys for the macros.

I have created macros for Shift-TV, Shift-VCR, and Shift-DVD to set the receiver input and set the remote mode.

To run them I presses the tiny, recessed "Setup" button at the front left of the remote, then the respective button (TV, VCR, or DVD)

Nothing happens. Possibly the "Shift" function is accomplished differently on the URC Atlas 1056 remote?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "one rule fits all" regarding the SHIFT button and JP1 remotes. for most remotes, you can program macros to shifted device buttons but not to un-shifted device buttons, but there are remotes which don't allow either and others that allow both. We normally try to program the RDFs to reflect what each remote can do, so if RMIR allowed you to put macros on the shifted device buttons, but they don't work, it might mean that we need to modify the RDF so that RMIR won't let you do it either.

But you have the correct procedure, one tap of the SETUP button followed by the actual button.

Have you tried any other shifted functions, like putting a keymove on a shifted button?

There are many different Atlas remotes, where they look the same on the outside but are completely different on the inside. When you download your remote using RMIR, what signature does it show?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: