JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Remote URC-3661
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clumsy74

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: New Remote URC-3661 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I got a new remote URC-3661 which isn't recognized by RMIR. So I followed the instructions in this forum and hopefully I collected some useful information to generate a new remote definition. The ZIP-archive is here in in the file-section:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26464

Thank you for your great work!

Ralf
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ralf, for that very thorough file of information about the URC-3661. I have now posted trial RDF, map and image files here for testing. I believe these are safe for both downloading and uploading and are virtually complete as your information was so good, but please test them and let me know how you get on.
clumsy74

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

thank you very much for your effords!

I got the RDF file in order to test the things you mentioned but I got another problem first. I'm not able to install a custom device update. When I add a device update and write the configuration to the remote, the writing process seems to work without any problem but it doesn't work afterwards. When I read the configuration back from the remote to RMIR I see the macros which are definded on the remote but not the device update. Do you have any idea what might be wrong?

Ralf
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clumsy74 wrote:
When I read the configuration back from the remote to RMIR I see the macros which are defined on the remote but not the device update. Do you have any idea what might be wrong?

Yes, me being stupid Embarassed . Please amend the RDF as follows:

1. In the SegmentTypes entry in the [General] section, please insert $10 so that it reads

Code:
SegmentTypes=$00 $01 $07 $08 $09 $10 $13 $1A $CD $CE $CF
That should fix the device upgrade problem.

2. There is also a separate error that I have spotted, which only affects the Activities panel. In the WatchMovie entry in the [ActivityControl] section, please amend the group4 item by deleting the "::TV" after BluRay but leave the one after Stream, so that you get

Code:
group4:BluRay+Stream::TV

My apologies for these issues. It is one of those things that happens when creating an RDF for a remote that I don't have, and so can't test what I produce.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just noticed one further error in the RDF concerning Activities. Although there are only three combinations of devices supported for the ListenToMusic activity, they are selected by the keys 1, 3, 5 and not 1, 2, 3 as I supposed. To handle this, RMIR needs to add dummy combinations 2 and 4 that show all button groups as unassigned to a device. To do this, please change the maps entry for the ListenToMusic activity to

Code:
maps:$19+$00+$0B+$00+$08

which adds in two dummy values of $00.
clumsy74

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied your changes to the RDF and now the device updates are written to the remote. Great! While working with the device updates I noticed, that in the Buttons-tab the Power-button is missing although I can configure the Power-button in the Layout-tab.

I will need some time to test the punchthroughs and the activities. Hopefully I will managed to do this in the weekend. I will get back as soon as I'm finished.

Graham, let me thank you for your great work so far. I never expected that so much would work in such a short time.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clumsy74 wrote:
While working with the device updates I noticed, that in the Buttons-tab the Power-button is missing

Sorry, another oversight in the RDF. In the first line of the [Buttons] section, please add "=$03" after "Power" so that the line reads

Code:
Input=$01:group0,Setup=$02:All,Power=$03,WatchTV=$04:groupActivity,ListenToMusic,WatchMovie,

clumsy74

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added all of your modifications and did some testing today. These are my results:
1.) The punchthroughs in the General-tab: only the volume setting seems to work. The others could be hidden
2.) In the Activity-tab the informations regardings the group assignments are correct. But I noticed that for the ListenToMusic-activity the key-value seems not to be written to the remote. The remote always behaves the same for this acitivity no matter which key-value I choose.
3.) Regarding to your description there are two additional devices Dev7 and Dev8 which could be used in macros. For Dev8 there is no button available in the button list. Instead there is a button called 'button3C'.

I hope that this findings will be useful to finalize the RDF.

Ralf
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your feedback. By your numbers:

1. Yes, I will hide the other two punchthroughs.

2. The ListenToMusic activity has the strange property of using settings by buttons 1,3,5 rather than 1,2,3. I have never seen this before. Could you please set this activity to each value using the instructions in the manual, then do a raw download (must be raw) of the remote with each setting and post all three for me to look at. It must be storing the setting in a way that I don't yet understand.

3. There is Dev8 in the available macro buttons, but it is between STB and Audio and not after Dev7. The ordering is determined by data in the firmware of the remote, so I can't change it. I could exchange the names Dev7 and Dev8, but that would just make Dev7 be the one that is apparently missing.

I don't know what button3C is. Possibly it is the Backlight button. I don't know if you could put the Backlight button in a macro. If so, that would clarify the matter, but there are also button codes 71 and 72 that the remote uses and which are mysteries, so it would do no harm to leave 3C unidentified as well.
clumsy74

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. I created a raw download for every key-value from 1-5. You can find them here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26476

3. You are right. I just didn't see the Dev8 button. I'm sorry for that. You are also right regarding "button3c". I seems to be the light button. When I create a macro on the remote itself including the light button and download the settings from the remote, the button appears in the macro with this name. As far as I can see the button is hardwired with the backlight function so I think it can be ignored.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that test report. I will handle the Dev7 and Dev8 issue by renaming them as Dev8 and Dev4, as these correspond to the positions at which they appear in button lists. That should help to avoid confusion. I will also add Backlight as a further button in the Buttons section but in a way that hides it from button lists. In that way it will not appear as an unknown button with the default name button3C.

ListenToMusic is still causing me a problem. I know from your raw downloads why its setting was not being saved. It is because in RMIR the assignments to ListenToMusic and to WatchMovie are the wrong way round. That is easily fixed. But the use by ListenToMusic of keys 1,3,5 for settings, rather than 1,2,3, is still a problem. I would be grateful for one further test about this. The raw downloads you posted suggest to me that keys 2 and 4 perform the same setting as key 5, which is that only the Audio device is used. If you are able to test this, it would be very helpful. I am pretty sure that keys 4 and 5 are the same, less sure about key 2. In any case I cannot understand why UEI would choose to use 1,3,5 for three cases when they use 1,2,3 elsewhere.
clumsy74

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some further "quick'n'dirty' testing for the ListenToMusic-activity and I think I made some progress: it seems that der keys 2 and 4 make use of the hidden devices. I'm not 100% sure since I can't interpret a blinking LED with these settings but it seems to be like this:

ListenToMusic, key 2: Blue Ray + Dev7 (Volume + Mute)
ListenToMusic, key 4: Stream + Dev7 (Volume + Mute)

If I can rely on the LED-blinking, key-value 6 is also accepted for ListenToMusic. Furthermore "WatchTV" accepts keys up to 5 and "WatchMovies" up to 6.

I'm thinking about a setup in which I can test out the corresponding combinations since watching des LEDs doesn't help here.

Ralf
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some information to help you. If you have not already done so, in RMIR go to the menu Options > Advanced and check Show Segment Editor. Note that is Options > Advanced and not the menu that is confusingly just called Advanced. You will then have a Segments tab showing. Activities in this remote store their settings in the segments with types CD, CE, CF. The Data in each of these segments is four bytes, of which the first two are always 00, for reasons that are understood. The last one seems always to be 01, for reasons that are not understood. Only the third one seems to change when the activity setting is changed.

UEI has used many different ways of storing activity settings. The 3661 is only the second one we have seen that uses segment types CD and CE and the first that uses CF. The 7145, which I have, is the one that uses CD and CE. It only has WatchTV and WatchMovie, which use segments CD and CE respectively.

I originally assumed that on the 3661, types CD, CE, CF would be in the same order as the button codes for the three activities, which are WatchTV=04, ListenToMusic=05, WatchMovie=06 (all these are hexadecimal values) but your raw downloads showed that segment type CF was ListenToMusic, so I presume WatchMovie is CE as on the 7145.

Now for the value of that changeable third byte. On the 7145, bits 0-6 are the digit that selects the combination, so 01, 02, 03 for three combinations selected by keys 1,2,3. Bit 7, the top bit, is set if the combination has been set by default. In that case bits 0-6 correspond to the default combination, which is automatically selected according to what devices have been set up. Setting up a new device can change that default combination, while if the activity combination has been specifically set by the user, the top bit is clear and bits 0-6 will not change. So this is why I don't understand what is happening with your remote. Your raw downloads showed that for the combinations set by 1,2,3,4,5 that byte was 01,02,03,82,82. The first three values are as I expected. That 8 in the last two is bit 7 set, yet you have specifically set combinations 4 and 5 so by what happens with the 7145 that bit should be clear and the bytes should be 04,05.

I would buy a 3166 to try to sort this out myself, but they seem no longer to be available here in the UK so I am having to rely on what you can find out. I would use an IR Widget with IRScope to read the signals sent and so to identify which keys used which devices, but I expect you haven't got one. You could learn signals to another learning remote if you have one, to see what the signals are, but that is a tedious, time-consuming process. So I am in your hands. I may have to issue an RDF with a warning that RMIR does not handle ListenToMusic correctly, though I hope the other two activities behave as expected. Anything you can find out would be most welcome.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now updated the posted RDF, map and image for the URC-3661 with the best that I can currently do. This includes all my suggested changes and the three activities now correspond to the correct data segments. However, the values in those data segments, especially for ListenToMusic, may well be wrong due to insufficient understanding of how the remote handles activities.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now believe that I fully understand the activities settings of the URC-3661. Supporting them in RMIR has required some minor changes, so I have now posted RMIR v2.13.9 in the RMIR Development folder on SourceForge. This includes the latest RDF, map and image, so is complete in itself for testing with the remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: