JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 15-2117 won't accept 15-2116 RMIR file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: RS 15-2117 won't accept 15-2116 RMIR file Reply with quote

Hi - I know there are a lot of RS 15-2116 and 15-2117 fans around...looking for a bit of help...

I've always used 2116's, currently have one working great with lots of devices.

I recently bought a 2117 off eBay, thought it would just take my 2116 code without issue since it's basically the same unit.

But when I upload the 2116 code to it, I get "Upload Verify Failed. Data read back doesn't match data written."

I can download the original code from the 2117 into RMIR and then upload back up to it without error.

I assume I need to tell RMIR this is a different remote from the 2116, but how do I do that in RMIR?

Thanks...
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: RS-2116 to RS-2117...can't remember how to migrate... Reply with quote

Hi - JP1 user for MANY years. Enough to have gone through a number of my favorite remotes, RS-2116 and RS-2117 (eventually the keys begin to fail).

For the last several years I've had only RS-2116s. One 2116 failed, so I got an RS-2117 from eBay, works fine. OK, now to transfer the JP1 programming...

But...I can't remember or see how to move my complex RS-2116 files to an RS-2117 (basically the same remote, right?)

Can anyone point out how to allow RemoteMaster to upload a 2116 image to a 2117?

Must be getting old...it wasn't this hard 20 years ago Embarassed

Thanks...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are identical as far as RMIR is concerned.

Did you download from the 2116, save, then upload to the 2117?

Not sure if this will help, but have you tried resetting the 2117 before uploading? Using fresh batteries?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2116 and 2117 are *exactly* the same remote from a JP1 perspective, the only difference is that the 2117 has an RF chip onboard. So all you need to do is, download the memory from the 2116 using RMIR and then re-load it into the 2117.
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
They are identical as far as RMIR is concerned.

Did you download from the 2116, save, then upload to the 2117?

Not sure if this will help, but have you tried resetting the 2117 before uploading? Using fresh batteries?

Sorry for the delayed response, been trying a lot of things but not able to sit down and do an extended session so far due to time constraints...

For some reason, I can't get RMIR to successfully write a 2116 setup to a 2117. I get the error: "Upload verify failed: data read back doesn't match data written." And the remote shows "MEMORY FAULT" on the screen.

But I've been able to write the file first to a 2116, then download the bin back to RMIR, save it, and then upload it as a bin to 2117. This doesn't cause the memory error to occur.

So it's a workaround. When I get time I'll sit down and play with it more to try to figure out why it's happening this way.

Any further or comments on this issue would be much appreciated...

In the meantime, I have another question about protocols but will start another thread on that soon.

Thanks for the response.
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The 2116 and 2117 are *exactly* the same remote from a JP1 perspective, the only difference is that the 2117 has an RF chip onboard. So all you need to do is, download the memory from the 2116 using RMIR and then re-load it into the 2117.

Hi Rob - I had posted this issue nearly a year ago with no responses, so this was another request for help.

mdavej recently responded to my original post, which I assume you'll see, so I won't repeat my response here.

Thanks for responding...glad to see there's stlll a JP1 community supporting this amazing body of work...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chico_woodhill wrote:
The Robman wrote:

Hi Rob - I had posted this issue nearly a year ago with no responses, so this was another request for help.

mdavej recently responded to my original post, which I assume you'll see, so I won't repeat my response here.

Thanks for responding...glad to see there's stlll a JP1 community supporting this amazing body of work...

I've merged both threads together.

As for your ongoing problem, could you please zip the 2 files together (ie, the 15-2116 and 15-2117 files) and post them here, so we can look for any anomality's. Also, have you tried doing a full reset on the 2117 to see if that helps it accept the 2116 file?
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

As for your ongoing problem, could you please zip the 2 files together (ie, the 15-2116 and 15-2117 files) and post them here, so we can look for any anomality's. Also, have you tried doing a full reset on the 2117 to see if that helps it accept the 2116 file?

Sorry for the delayed response. Been pulling hair out trying to get Remote Master 2.13.0 to work properly on the 2117. New files, old files, different JP1 interfaces, nothing worked consistently. Got a lot of "Upload verify failed. Data read back doesn't match data written." and MEM FAULT messages on the remote. However, if I did a download from the remote, changed a minor item or two (like a setup code) and uploaded, it worked as expected, no errors. But uploading from a disk file just would not work

So finally I went back to an old version of Remote Master 2.03 I had on disk...it worked perfectly on both the 2116 and 2117. Voila! The problem must be with Remote Master 2.13, right?

Except no. When I went back to 2.13 it worked perfectly. Couldn't get it to misbehave like it's been doing for the whole time I've been trying to diagnose this issue.

Go figure. Not really satisfying to not understand why it didn't work before going back to 2.03, and does now. But...at least I have my remotes correctly programmed again. Guess I shouldn't complain.

Only thing I can think of is that it's Remote Master version Thirteen...hmmm...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chico_woodhill wrote:
Only thing I can think of is that it's Remote Master version Thirteen...hmmm...

Yes of course, that's it, lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: