JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best options to program JP1 remotes with USB in 2021!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carwarr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Best options to program JP1 remotes with USB in 2021! Reply with quote

So I figured it was about time to upgrade my homemade parallel port JP1 cable to a USB type before I need to upgrade my computer and loose the parallel port altogether.

I only have old JP1 remotes and not any JP1.x type (JP1.1, JP1.2, etc.) so no real need to be able to program those.

Now, in the late 2021 year, after reading for 3 days on the forum, it looks like I have a couple of options:

1) I could buy the JP1 EEPROM interface from http://www.txsat.net/JP1_EEPROM.html for $45.95

2) Buy or build a JP1.2/1.3 USB cable and then purchase a JP1.2/1.3 to JP1 Adapter from https://www.diygadget.com/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter for $17.99

Since it looks like the ability to get the Delcom Engineering 802300 is LONG gone, I don't think I have any other options to homebrew it myself.

Seems like option 2 is the way to go even though I have no JP1.x remotes but eventually my supply if JP1 remotes will dry up and will need to be able to hack the newer ones.

I have been an electronic tech for many, many years, so I have no problem building something myself even if it costs a little more just for the fun of it.

If anyone has any other thoughts/options for programming the JP1 remotes with USB that I missed, please let me know.

Thanks to everyone for an excellent website and information for making the JP1 remotes the hackers dream it has become! At least for me.

Mitch
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are handy with electronics, I would recommend that you buy an FTDI FT232RL or Prolific PL2303HXD USB cable from eBay, then make yourself an EEPROM adapter using an Arduino cable. The main question is how quickly do you want to do this, as that determines whether you should buy cheaper parts from China or pay a bit more for parts that ship from the US.

All the details are here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
Carwarr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, you respond with exactly what I needed! I kind of glossed over the Arduino stuff as I was thinking it was more for the newer JP1.x stuff and not the older JP1.

I have been looking for a reason to get an Arduino to play with as the last microprocessor projects I did were with the Basic Stamp and it looks like this is the reason to get one.

Thanks for the info!
Mitch

The Robman wrote:
As you are handy with electronics, I would recommend that you buy an FTDI FT232RL or Prolific PL2303HXD USB cable from eBay, then make yourself an EEPROM adapter using an Arduino cable. The main question is how quickly do you want to do this, as that determines whether you should buy cheaper parts from China or pay a bit more for parts that ship from the US.

All the details are here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to Rob's reply, the reason he suggests the Arduino route rather than the TxSat and DIYGadget devices you mentioned is that both TxSat and DIYGadget seem to have gone out of business. At least, my recent efforts to buy from them or contact them in any other way have all met with no response. The use of an Arduino as a JP1 EEPROM adapter currently seems the only way to go.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, as you've done the Arduino thing recently, do you think it would be worth writing up a really detailed "how to" for folks that want to try it who are maybe not all that technically gifted but can follow instructions? I took a quick peak at the old instructions for it and I can imagine that many folks would be intimidated.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Best options to program JP1 remotes with USB in 2021! Reply with quote

I agree with Rob on having a Detailed How To instructions and since the original
JP1 EEPROM adapter is impossible to purchase, These instructions should probably be a permanent sticky
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that there are also JP1 remotes that have USB interfaces built in that you can still find on ebay from time to time, like the OARUSB04G and the Xsight/Nevo models. Those only require a standard USB cable, not a JP1/1.x cable at all.

Some JP1 remotes are also bluetooth, if your computer has the appropriate bluetooth interface. I don't have a list of those handy, but could make one if you're interested.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Graham, as you've done the Arduino thing recently, do you think it would be worth writing up a really detailed "how to" for folks that want to try it who are maybe not all that technically gifted but can follow instructions?

I will look into this. The original instructions by Tim6502 clearly show that Tim was able to use his Arduino Duemillanova clone as a complete JP1 EEPROM interface without the need for a JP1.2/3 cable. I was unable to get that working on my Arduino Mega 2560 clone but instead managed to get it working as a JP1 EEPROM adapter that connected to a JP1.2/3 cable. I am an Arduino novice and have no idea why Tim's method did not work. I will try again before writing any instructions. I don't actually think that the original instructions, with the changes described in my post if necessary, are difficult to follow, though, as I did so as an Arduino novice as I mentioned. You need to be aware, though, that the actual original instructions are notes within the JP1_Arduino.ino file (which can be opened in a text editor) and not in the Readme.txt, both of which are in the zip package of Tim's at the above link.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, I had mossed those notes. Here they are...
Quote:
Arduino sketch for programming of the original JP1 remotes

14 Mar 2012 by Tim6502

This is for the original JP1 remote control interface ONLY.
Not intended for JP1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. remotes!

See http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/ for background on
remote controls that are programmable via JP1.

The early JP1 remotes were programmable through the parallel port on PCs.
These days, parallel ports -as well as the original JP1 remotes- are
becoming increasingly rare (both being replaced by the USB kind).
Since at the moment I have a few more JP1 remotes (a handful) than
parallel ports in operation (zero), I had to find a way to program
updates for my audio-visual equipment lineup.

The Arduino can be accessed via USB and can also easily talk to the
EEPROM that contains the program for the JP1 remote. The software
for JP1/JP1.X programming does communicate via USB to a JP1 EEPROM
programmer firmware in order to program the original JP1 remotes.
It appears that the Arduino can easily be enlisted to cover the combo
of USB serial driver and JP1 EEPROM programmer. Since Kevin Timmerman's
JP1 EEPROM Programmer software was open-sourced (Thanks, Kevin!),
here we are!

Below are instructions and the Arduino sketch on how you can share the fun.

(1) Make yourself a JP1 cable - for example by cutting up an IDE cable.
View from the front of the female plug on the cable:
+----------+ JP1 Wire pinout on remote:
/ 1 3 5 | 1 - Vdd U1 2 - Vdd U2
| 2 4 6 | 3 - Ground 4 - Serial Data (SDA)
+-----------+ 5 - Reset 6 - Serial Clock (SCL)

(2) Connect the wires from this cable as follows:
- connect 1 and 2 together
- connect 3 to Arduino Ground
- connect 4 (SDA) to Arduino Analog Pin 4
- connect 5 (Reset) to Arduino Ground
NOTE: you will need to unplug the remote from the cable to use it.
- connect 6 (SCL) to Arduino Analog Pin 5

If the battery voltage in your remote is _higher_ than the voltage
in the Arduino, you also need to pull up the following JP1 lines
via a 10k Ohm resistor each, connected to the JP1 Vdd line 1 (or 2):
4 (SDA) and 6 (SCL).

(3) Attach the Arduino to your PC and upload this sketch.
When you run the RemoteMasterIR or IR programs, select
JP1.X Serial... interface.
Yes, even though this is for a non JP1.X remote!
Now you should be able to download and/or upload the EEPROM
content from or to your remote.

Note that after an upload, the Arduino will be restarted by the
RM / IR program. If you want to avoid this, you would need to
pull RESET high with an adequate resistor value, or -if using
an external USB-Serial TTL converter device, make connections
except for the line that will pull on RESET.

This sketch is directly based on assembler code from:

JP1 EEPROM Programming Adapter Firmware
Copyright (C) 2010 Kevin Timmerman
jp1epa [@t] compendiumarcana [d0t] com
http://www.compendiumarcana.com/jp1epa

For EEPROM communication this sketch uses example code by
davekw7x, March, 2011, which in turn was
derived from sketch for 24C64 devices posted on
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/I2CEEPROM
from hkhijhe Date: 01/10/2010.

While this worked for me with a *duino Duemillanova clone and with a
URC 6131 remote using 2k 24C32 EEPROM chips (the default size this
sketch selects for EEPROMs), it has not been tested with other EEPROM
chips or other sizes.
More importantly, you should be aware that you are using these
instructions and code at your own risk. There are no guarantees
that this will work, or that it will not damage or blow up your
equipment (or yourself). You have been warned!
- Good luck!

One more comment:

If you have a JP1.2 or JP1.3 remote and also a USB to TTL breakout adapter
/ cable to talk to a 6-pin connector on a *duino, then you should not need
any additional hardware to program your JP1.2/1.3 remote. You just have to
connect pins from the adapter to appropriate pins on the 6-pin JP1.x cable.
Unfortunately, I did not fully realize this until after I had built, debugged, and
used serial-to-JP1.2/1.3 hardware and thus have not tried out this route.
I suggest that you check the JP1 sites for details.

Programming the old JP1 remotes would still require an Arduino loaded with the
sketch above in order to directly program the EEPROM chip. In the newer JP1.x
remotes, this is accomplished via talking through the serial (TTL) interface to the
processor in the remote.

Carwarr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a Nevo, but still love my old pure JP1 remotes. I looked at the OARUSB04G a wile ago and sort of discounted it with only 4 devices on it... I did not see all work you that has been done with the extender! I will have to try to pick one of those up now. Great job.

mdavej wrote:
Be aware that there are also JP1 remotes that have USB interfaces built in that you can still find on ebay from time to time, like the OARUSB04G and the Xsight/Nevo models. Those only require a standard USB cable, not a JP1/1.x cable at all.

Some JP1 remotes are also bluetooth, if your computer has the appropriate bluetooth interface. I don't have a list of those handy, but could make one if you're interested.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said in this post that when I tried to load the JP1_Arduino.ino program from the original package Arduino JP1 EEPROM Programming Adapter.zip into my Arduino Mega 2560 clone that it gave a compile error, for which I found a work-around. It turns out that was operator error, due to me being an Arduino novice. For safety I had made a copy of JP1_Arduino.ino in the same folder. As I was only loading the original, not the copy, this seemed a safe thing to do, but it wasn't, it caused the loading process to get confused. So learn from my experience and leave the unzipped package exactly as it comes Embarassed .

The second point from that earlier post was that I had to use an external USB-to-Serial cable, in my case the Chip Partner one, connected to TX and RX pins of the Arduino rather than simply connecting the Arduino USB port to the PC and letting RMIR find it. This meant that I was using the Arduino as a JP1 EEPROM Adapter, which is indeed what the original package is called, rather than as a complete JP1 interface cable. Even though I can now load the original program into my Arduino Mega 2560 clone, this is still the case. RMIR will not find the Arduino, and so not find the remote, if the Arduino is simply plugged in to a USB port.

However, I have found a solution Smile . Since my earlier post I have also bought an Arduino Nano, or more specifically the latest incarnation of the Nano which is called the Nano Every (but in pin-out and function is identical to the Nano). I found that if you load the original program unchanged into the Nano and follow the connection instructions to the letter:

Quote:
(2) Connect the wires from this cable as follows:
- connect 1 and 2 together
- connect 3 to Arduino Ground
- connect 4 (SDA) to Arduino Analog Pin 4
- connect 5 (Reset) to Arduino Ground
NOTE: you will need to unplug the remote from the cable to use it.
- connect 6 (SCL) to Arduino Analog Pin 5

(3) Attach the Arduino to your PC and upload this sketch.
When you run the RemoteMasterIR or IR programs, select
JP1.X Serial... interface.
Yes, even though this is for a non JP1.X remote!
Now you should be able to download and/or upload the EEPROM
content from or to your remote.

then you have a complete JP1 interface cable Very Happy . Even though these instructions were written for the Arduino Duemillanova, the pin numbers remain correct for the Nano. No other parts needed, just the Nano and some connecting wires. So the cheapest (I think) Arduino works when the Mega 2560 at the other end of the scale does not. I have no idea why this is the case, but it is. So finally, very good news, almost certainly cheaper than the now-unobtainable real JP1 EEPROM Adapter and no need for a separate JP1.2/3 cable. BTW It is still true that the Arduino cannot be used as a JP1.x interface as none of the Arduino boards provide access to the RTS line of their built-in USB-to-Serial converter.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this an example of an Arduino Nano that would work for this? This one is about $10 with shipping from China. It comes with a cable for USB side, but you'd need to make a cable for the remote side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124974800926
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Is this an example of an Arduino Nano that would work for this? This one is about $10 with shipping from China.

That seems expensive. I can get a genuine Arduino Nano Every in the UK for GBP 9.64 with free next day delivery, from RS Components. I cannot say for sure whether the Chinese clone of the original Nano would work as I described. Probably, but it is not even identical in components to the original genuine Nano, as the Nano has an FTDI USB-to-Serial chip and the clone has a CH340G. The Nano Every does not have either, it uses a general-purpose processor for this conversion (as described in that RS Components link). The problem with the CH340G, as we discovered earlier, concerns the Break signal and that is not used by the Nano, so that should not be an issue, but as I have not tested it and it is not identical to the one I used, I cannot be certain.

Edit: As for connecting the Arduino to the remote, I use Dupont jumper cables. The remote ends could be put into a 3x2 housing if required, but that is not necessary.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does $10 seem expensive compared to £10?

I have found a cheaper one though. This one doesn't include a USB cable, but it's $5.49 with free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223789950366

Or this one is $6.75 with a USB cable
https://www.ebay.com/itm/383962331050
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Why does $10 seem expensive compared to GBP 10?

It doesn't. What seems expensive is that a Chinese clone of an old model is close to the price of a genuine later model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: