JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can't open RMIR file -- Never mind!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Can't open RMIR file -- Never mind! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Please regard the following lengthy post as an illustration of what happens when you forget to install the "factory" image back into a 7880 remote after installing extenders 1 and 2. What happens in that case is that the installation files remain installed in the remote and they take up a lot of space. You quickly run out of space when installing upgrades and things get ugly.

I went back and installed the factory image into my extended remote, then added my device upgrades and had no problems at all. The weird "could not download from remote" problem I encountered when it was attached with a cable disappeared as well.

I'll leave the post here in case it could be useful, but would not be offended if someone went ahead and deleted it.

My apologies if I've wasted anyone's time!

Errant post starts here:

Today I installed extenders 1 and 2 to a 7880 remote. All looked fine after the installation. Then I attempted to add 4 device upgrades to the resulting RMIR file. After doing so and saving the RMIR file, I could no longer open it. The file is here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26401

Edited to add: Here is the RMIR file after installing extender 2 but before adding any upgrades. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26402

It will open with RMIR

Finally, here is an upgrade file, for example: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26403

If this file is added to the "blank" file, RMIR will save it but then will not open it.

I've used both RMIR v 2.13.2 and 2.12.16

Thanks for any help.

Update 11/7/21

I've done some fiddling and attached two more files for review.

First I've attached an rmaster.err file that I hope helps anyone trying to diagnose the problem I'm having. The file is here

Here is how I created the file:

Open RMIR 2.13.2
Load RMIR file created after installing Extender 2 but before loading any upgrade files
Add device upgrades, one at a time
Save the resulting RMIR file
Try to open the RMIR file just created

I created the upgrade files from the upgrades that are currently working in my OARUSB04G remote by opening the RMIR file and successively editing the upgrades and saving them as files for use with the 7880.

You'll note from the rmaster.err file that java exceptions are being thrown for array out of bounds as RMIR tries to add the upgrades to the extended 7880.

I tried to repeat this process using RMIR 2.12.1 and got an "Available space exceeded" error after I tried to add the second of 4 upgrades. I did not encounter this error using 2.13.2.

Finally, I checked 2.13.2 and it reports "Memory usage" 394 free before adding any upgrades. For comparison, RMIR reports 1586 free for my daughter's 7880 with extender 2 and 3 upgrades added.

So, it seems like something went wrong when I installed the extenders. In particular, that process seems to have consumed a lot of memory, leaving little for upgrades.

With the above in mind, I decided that I would uninstall the extenders using a cable, since I didn't think an uninstall would work via Bluetooth. However, when I connected a cable and attempted a download from the remote (to make sure I connected the cable properly), I got the "Unable to download from remote" error. So, I created the raw download and uploaded it here

I appreciate any help with this, and I will refrain from fiddling any further unless instructed to do so. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: