JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Activities in Wrong Order

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsbrux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Activities in Wrong Order Reply with quote

In previous versions of RMIR, the order of activities in the RMIR GUI corresponded to the order on my XSight Touch. In the newest version of RMIR, I added a new activity and rearranged the order of activities. The new activity appears in "pole position" on the remote, just as I placed it in RMIR, but the others are out of order. For example, the activity I have placed second in RMIR appears last (seventh) on the remote. How can I achieve the desired order of activities on the remote?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean that the change from v2.13.0 to v2.13.2 has caused this, then I am not aware of anything that has changed that could cause this. This is certainly nothing that I have changed deliberately. I have an XSight Touch, so if you post a .rmir file of your setup then I will load it into my Touch and investigate it.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mathdon
Thanks for the prompt response! Actually, I didn't realize that v2.13.2 was out: I was still using v2.13.0. However, I have now tried v2.13.2 with the same results. When I download my current remote conflagration (with my MCE activity in position 7, on the last screen), the RMIR GUI shows it in position, on the first screen, where I want it.
IAC, I didn't mean to imply that the problem was introduced in the latest update. It has been over a year and a half since I last used RMIR, and I was probably using v2.09.6 at that time. *if* the problem lies with RMIR, it could have been introduced any time since then. I have uploaded the file to the Diagnosis area an look forward to hearing your results.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the file. I don't know what order you want the activities in, I can't see one called "MCE", but here is what I found when I loaded your file. On the Activities tab they are in the order:

Play Disc
Use Scaleo E
Watch TV
Play Radio
Play Record
Play Tape
All Off

When I uploaded the file to my XSight Touch, they appeared in exactly the same order. The first three on the first screen, the next three on the second screen and All Off on its own on the last screen, all with nice icons.

If this is not what you get, please tell me what orders you get, both on the Activities tab and on the remote.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's what I expected, but not what I got. The Media Center is "Scaleo E". The order in the RMIR GUI was as you described, but Scaleo E wound up alone on the third screen. I have since reprogrammed and no longer remember where the others were. As an experiment, I rearranged things again. Here is the order in the RMIR GUI:

1. Play Disc
  2. Watch TV
  3. All Off
  4. Play Radio
  5. Play Record
  6. Play Tape
  7. Use Scaleo E

Here is the order on the remote:

1. Play Disc
  2. All Off
  3. Play Radio
  4. Play Record
  5. Play Tape
  6. Use Scaleo E
  7. Watch TV

I have uploaded a new version to the Diagnosis area.
Thanks for your help!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have loaded your new file into my XSight Touch and I get the same order on the remote as on the Activities tab, which is the first of your two lists, so the same as you get in RMIR but different on the remote. So I don't think there is anything wrong in RMIR. It looks instead as if something strange has happened in your remote.

It looks as if tab 2 in RMIR moves to the last position on the remote, with the others shifted up to fill the gap at position 2. That agrees with what you said in your first post. I can't think what you could do to diagnose what has happened in the remote. It is possible to use RMIR to rewrite the entire software of the remote, but that is a very drastic step that I would do only as a very last resort. You could try a factory reset followed by re-uploading the setup you want. However, the simplest thing seems to be to work with what is happening. So write down the order you want, then move the last one into position 2, pushing the rest down one. Set that order in RMIR then, when you upload it, you should get back to the order you want on the remote. At present that is the best that I can suggest. Give it a try, see if it works and report back.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
It is possible to use RMIR to rewrite the entire software of the remote, but that is a very drastic step that I would do only as a very last resort. You could try a factory reset followed by re-uploading the setup you want.

Thanks for your advice. I wouldn't mind trying one (or both) of the above, but I don't understand the distinction between:

• using RMIR to rewrite the entire software of the remote
    and
  • a factory reset followed by re-uploading the setup

I have done a factory reset before, so I don't find it that scary.
How does one "use RMIR to rewrite the entire software" and what makes it "drastic"?[/list]
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is best if I first explain a little about the internals of the XSight remotes, as they are completely different from any other UEI remote. There are three LSI chips. The main controller of the remote is an ARM processor. The IR signal generation is performed by a Samsung S3F80 processor. The third LSI chip is a one-megabyte memory chip that is formatted as a file system. It is this third chip that holds the user setup data that is read and written by RMIR. As distinct from other UEI remotes, this data is in the form of a set of files written to the file system of the memory chip.

A factory reset returns the user setup data to the data it had when new. It is writing original setup files to the file system of the memory chip. That is the biggest reset that can be done on the remote itself. RMIR is capable of doing more than this. If you have the setup of an XSight loaded into RMIR, either from a saved .rmir file or a download, then the menu Advanced > XSight operations lists four further actions:

Verify XSight system files verifies system files in the file system of the memory chip that are not part of the user data, to check they are not corrupted. The files in the file system are of two sorts, system files that this verifies and user files that are rewritten when you do an upload from RMIR, so this enables you to check the files that RMIR does not affect.

Upload XSight system file displays a list of all the system files and lets you choose one for upload. This is intended to let you replace any files found to be corrupted when you run the verify check.

The above two operations assume that the file system of the memory chip is not itself corrupted. The next option lets you reformat this file system.

Format and rebuild XSight file system reformats the file system of the memory chip, writes a new copy of the system files to it and creates the same user files as does a factory reset, so the remote is left in a factory reset state but the process has been much more thorough than doing a factory reset on the remote.

All the above operations concern the memory chip. The final option allows you to rewrite the firmware of the ARM processing chip itself. This is what is done when you use RMIR to do a firmware upgrade. Whenever you download from an XSight remote, it checks that the firmware is the latest version and offers to do an upgrade if it is not. If you already have the latest firmware, then of course it does not offer to rewrite it. The final option allows you to force a rewrite even when you have the latest firmware, in case it is corrupted.

Force XSight Firmware Upgrade, when selected, makes RMIR offer to write the latest firmware to the ARM chip even when a read of the firmware version shows that the remote apparently already has the latest one.

I consider any firmware update of any device is drastic, as you are rewriting the code that makes the thing work. In that sense the third and fourth options are both, to me, drastic. They are no more so than any firmware update of any other device and no user has ever posted to say that either of these options have failed. I have done them both on my XSight Touch several times to test them, always without problems. So all I was really doing in describing them as drastic ("very" was overkill!) was to point out that these are substantially bigger operations than a factory reset done on the remote itself.

I do not know what is causing the activities to upload in the wrong order. I can't even speculate on what it might be, it is a very strange behaviour. However, I think it very unlikely that it is caused by corruption of the firmware in the ARM chip that essentially runs the remote. There would be no harm in running the "Verify XSight system files" option but again I don't think these are the sort of files that could cause such a problem. Since we are discussing this, I have just run this option on my XSight and it reported that all system files are correct. That seems to leave corruption of the file system as the only possibility. I can see how an incorrect write of the file with the activity data might have such an effect. So if you want to try to fix the issue, I would suggest the "Format and rebuild XSight file system" option, followed by re-uploading your setup.

Please let me know what you decide to do, and how it turns out, even if after reading this you decide to do nothing further.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I psyched myself up and did a factory reset (on the device, not via RMIR). To my surprise, despite the warning that I would lose this, that or the other, this didn't delete my devices or activities. After reloading my latest saved configuration from RMIR, the activities appeared in the expected order.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I am surprised that a factory reset done on the remote was sufficient to resolve the order issue and even more surprised that it left your devices and activities unchanged. But these are the most complex remotes UEI ever produced. It seems that your factory reset must have done some diagnostics and fixed the issue. I have just done a factory reset on my XSight Touch with your setup loaded, which did have the activities in the correct order, and as expected, it deleted everything. I had to set the language, region and clock and start again setting up devices. Not a problem for me, I don't use the remote "for real" and of course I can upload a setup from RMIR. The difference in behaviour on your remote (with a bug that needed fixing) and mine (which did not) is quite fascinating. Anyway, I am very glad that all is now well and the problem is fixed.

Are you sure that you really did a factory reset and not just a (simple) reset? You entered 981 when the screen showed a button labelled "Reset" to press, so the button changed to say "Factory Reset"?
rsbrux

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad! I had forgotten the difference between "Reset" and "Factory Reset". Of course, I just did a "Reset" which is probably why my devices and activities survived. I still got a scary warning though: "All macros, key edits and learned functions will be deleted." Is this kind of reset the same as a battery pull? Are the aforementioned all kept in volatile memory?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsbrux wrote:
I still got a scary warning though: "All macros, key edits and learned functions will be deleted." Is this kind of reset the same as a battery pull? Are the aforementioned all kept in volatile memory?

A (simple) reset does preserve devices and activities, it just deletes the ones that quote lists. They are not in volatile memory, both a simple reset and a factory reset rewrite user files in the non-volatile memory chip. The difference is simply that the simple reset rewrites a selection of the user files, a factory reset rewrites them all. A battery pull is different again. It does not modify any files, it just restarts the firmware. This will only cure problems caused by the OS of the remote crashing or otherwise misbehaving.

It is still very interesting that a simple reset was enough to cure your problem. I suppose it is possible that a battery pull may have been enough, but it seemed more like a data problem than an OS one. I still have no idea what the bug can have been to cause the ordering problem. Anyway, I am pleased that all is well now
chileboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I've been doing quite a bit of work on my Xsight last couple of days, and after uploads the activities have shown up out of order a couple of times - and once, only two activities on each page instead of three - and I just pulled a battery and reinserted it to reboot the remote and that fixed it.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it happened to me again and the soft reset fixed it again. I’m relieved to hear that it isn’t just me, not that I would wish it on anyone else Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: