JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Questions about mechanics of IR receiver to 3.5mm jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlotje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:36 am    Post subject: Questions about mechanics of IR receiver to 3.5mm jack Reply with quote

I've got a spare 3.5mm IR receiver cable, and I'm trying to learn how it interfaces with electronics as well as discover if there are any useful ways to put it to work. FWIW, a few months ago I purchased a USB IR receiver and learned pretty well how they work (as well as their limitations, which was a bit of a letdown). Now that I feel I understand USB IR receivers pretty well, I would like to go more advanced with 3.5mm IR receivers and understand those better.

First things first, how can I decipher equipment that can interface with it?

I understand the basics of how the receiver receives the signal and transmits it over the wire, but I don't understand what differentiates devices that can accept the input from those that cannot.

Does the 3.5mm input have to be a iline input (as opposed to a headphone output jack)? Is it just a matter of software being available to recognize the input from the IR receiver? Or does coding need to be designed for it on a firmware level?

What devices could try plugging it into? A PC's microphone input jack? My phone's headphone jack to send IR commands to my phone? My TV?

I just enjoy learning about this stuff so that I can understand how it works in my head -- I like to understand it.

I got the IR receiver in a 2-pack and used the other one for a Cox DTA 250HD mini receiver for a bit.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you provide a photo or link to the "3.5mm IR receiver"? Does it have a TS ("mono") or TSR ("stereo") plug?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: