JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Inteset 422-3 Punch Through coding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoffT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Inteset 422-3 Punch Through coding Reply with quote

I have a Inteset 422-3 which, thanks to a lot of help from Graham and Rob, I now have working very well.

The remote allows punch through on any key as described on their help pages:

INT-422 Punch Through Key Programming
12-21-2020, 02:34 PM
This feature allows the user to configure a "punch through" key on the INT-422 remote. This means that any programmable key can be set to send the same IR signal no matter what Device Mode is set. Below is the programming to allow this functionality:
1. Press and hold the SET button until the red LED blinks twice.
2. Enter 9 8 4, the LED will blink twice.
3. Select the source Device Mode where the key (button) resides that has the desired IR signal to punch through.
4. Press the desired source key. If more than one punch through key is desired, select those keys as well.
5. Select the destination Device Mode button(s) of the Device Mode(s) to program the punch through key(s) to.
6. Press and hold the SET button. The red LED will blink twice indicating the punch-through programming is complete.
NOTE: If new punch through programming is performed, it will override the initial punch through programming.
To clear the punch through programming, do the following:
1. Press and hold the SET button until the red LED blinks twice.
2. Enter 9 8 4, the LED will blink twice.
3. Press the SET button.

This part of the system seems a bit flaky though and I can't get the clear punch through to work at all using he above instructions. (There are issues mentioned on the Inteset forum about it too)

It would be great, therefore to be able to access and edit this data in RMIR but as it stands it doesn't show this key punch through data anywhere (only volume and channel punch throughs)

Is there any chance that RMIR could read and edit this data in the future?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoffT wrote:
It would be great, therefore to be able to access and edit this data in RMIR but as it stands it doesn't show this key punch through data anywhere (only volume and channel punch throughs)

Is there any chance that RMIR could read and edit this data in the future?

Can you get this punchthrough to work at all? If so, please post a Raw Download (must be a raw one, not a normal download) from a setup that has such a punchthrough, and also say what key it is on and what the device and key is of the signal that it sends. As I don't have one of these remotes, I need to see what it does to the setup data, and should be able to tell this from the raw download.
GeoffT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for having a look at this Graham.

Yes, I am able to program a key punch through that works fine, the problem seems to be clearing it down.

This example has the Power key from Device B punched through to Devices A,C & D. It works correctly. if you need anything else let me know as I now have a third one of these for eventual use in another room but which I'm happy to play around with and carry out testing on in the meantime.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26383
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Geoff
Many thanks for the raw download. I am working on adding this to RMIR, but it will take some time. I see what needs doing, but have to work out how to fit this into the RMIR structure. So if things go quiet from my end, it doesn't mean this is forgotten. I will post again as soon as I have something for you to test.
GeoffT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Graham.

Thanks for the update and for working on this.

Just let me know when you need any testing doing.

Geoff
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted RMIR v2.13.1 to the RMIR Development folder for you to test. Please remember that you will have to select Options >Show Slingbox protocols again in this new version. This version has a new tab, Global Punchthru, that will be present for remotes that support it, and a revised RDF for your Inteset is included that is updated to give this support.

If you download from your remote to the new version, the Global Punchthrough entry will show in that tab but if you load an existing .rmir file then it won't show as it will not contain the appropriate entry. I would suggest that you start with an existing .rmir file of your present setup, as that is complete with any notes that you have added, and then use the new tab to recreate the Global Punchthrough that you want. It will, of course, be saved in any .rmir file that you create with this new RMIR version.

I see that the instructions you quoted from the Inteset suggest that there can only be one Global Punchthrough entry. However, the data structure suggests that there can be multiple such entries provided that they have different source devices. RMIR therefore allows you to create such multiple entries, but of course there is no guarantee that they would work.

I think it is obvious how to use the new tab, but if you have any questions then please ask, and of course let me know how you get on with it and of any problems you find.
GeoffT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Graham, that was much quicker than I was expecting!

I've just downloaded the new version and it works exactly as you describe.

I downloaded from the remote and the Punchthrough I had programmed in manually showed up.

As a test, I then deleted the punchthough and uploaded that back to the remote. This cleared the punchthrough correctly which I wasn't able to do directly on the remote.

I then re added the original punchthrough from within RMIR and that worked fine too.

I did try a adding a second punchthrough on a different key but although it uploaded to the remote without a problem it didn't work on the remote. So maybe the remote is limited to one punchthough as the instructions suggest.

Anyway it's great that it's now all available to see in RMIR as I no longer have to manually program anything into the remote.

Thanks again for all of your help with this.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report, Geoff. I am glad that it all worked. It was quicker than I was expecting, too Smile , as once I had figured out what to do, it was easier and went more smoothly than I expected. I will leave the ability to create multiple Global Punchthrough entries, even though your remote does not support them, as there will be other remotes that have this facility and some may support multiple entries.

Quote:
Thanks again for all of your help with this.

You're very welcome Smile .
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, could you add a flag of some sort to RDF which indicates whether the remote supports multiple entries, then as we discover that a remote does not support them, like this one, we can set the flag?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Graham, could you add a flag of some sort to RDF which indicates whether the remote supports multiple entries, then as we discover that a remote does not support them, like this one, we can set the flag?

Well, first I would like to find out what remotes support this at all. So far, Geoff's Inteset is the only one I know of. Do you have any knowledge of what remotes support the 984 command that creates these Global Punchthroughs? But as for your question, yes, such a flag is possible. It may be, however, that no remotes support multiple entries, in which case a flag is unnecessary and instead I would need to prevent them being created.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know about this feature thru this thread. My only concern with blocking the feature for all is that we'll need a way to test it, like we did here, when new remotes come along. As you know, UEI often leaves things unlocked when programmed via RMIR even though they're locked thru the remote itself.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Insignia ns-rmt-415 gets two blinks when you enter 984. Where the exact looking remote to Inteset 422-3, the USARMT RWY-122 doesn't. The latter remote doesn't have pins like the inteset has either.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Atlas 1056B03 and Comcast 1067BC4 (both segmented JP2 remotes) support the 984 command. Some other Comcast JP1.2/1.3 remotes and the RCRP05B JP1.3 support it.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
The Atlas 1056B03 and Comcast 1067BC4 (both segmented JP2 remotes) support the 984 command. Some other Comcast JP1.2/1.3 remotes and the RCRP05B JP1.3 support it.

Many thanks for that info, Dave. I was particularly interested to see that the RCRP05B, a non-segmented remote, supports the 984 command. I have one of these. I can find no mention of the 984 command in the Owner's Manual that came with it, or in the web support for it, but can confirm that it works. Not only that, but RMIR already supports it, as the punchthrough data is stored in the [Settings] section Smile and whoever created the RDF clearly knew about it. So Global Punchthrough pre-dates segmented remotes but somehow has escaped my attention until now.

The RCRP05B definitely allows only one punchthrough source device, and I suspect that the implementation in segmented remotes is designed to mimic this. I also have an Atlas 1056B03 and can confirm that this also supports the 984 command and allows only one source device. If there is more than one type 0x19 segment then only the first one is acted upon. I thought it might be the last one, but presumably it searches for a type 0x19 segment regardless of its source device and stops at the first one it finds. So I think it is fairly safe to limit RMIR to supporting only one entry, but am inclined, if users try to create another one, to display a message saying that it probably won't work and asking if they want to continue. This seems better to me than imposing a definite ban, in case there actually are remotes that support multiple entries.

I will add $19 to the RDF SegmentTypes entries for the Atlas 1056B03 and Comcast 1067BC4 to make them support this new RMIR feature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: