JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First Time URC7955

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: First Time URC7955 Reply with quote

Hi All

I had been looking for a replacement remote for Logitech Harmony and purchased a URC7955. I initially tried using the vendors app and instructions but it became clear that this was not going to achieve my aim of replacing the harmony.

I then stumbled onto this site and decided to try rmir. I have made reasonable but slow progress so far. I am using the recommended bluetooth dongle and have installed v1 extender onto remote and have programmed in the setup codes for my home theatre devices and setup the activities for them linked to macro's for powering everything on.

I have also learned some extra functions from amp remote so I can switch to the right input in the macro's. I also learned the up/down commands for projector screen and assigned them to the TV device (PJ), I have added the down command to the macro's for power up.

I thought I had done a reasonable job of approximating the harmony until I tested it. The harmony was a really clever system it knew what devices were on and when switching activity (as opposed to a cold start) it knew what to turn off and what to turn on. The URC is not smart and cannot seem to do this, from a cold start and then power off when done it works fine, but trying to switch between activities causes issues as it issues the all the macro commands as programmed every time.

I also ran into another issue that was no probs on harmony, my PJ needs the power command sent twice to power off. I cannot see in rmir where/how I can modify how things are powered off.

I like the activities grouping for things like watch TV but need to modify the section where certain keys are punched thru as I need to add some amp surround switching keys to the Audio part. The software will not let me modify these sections.

I am still only learning and have not delved into upgrades yet as I don't really understand them, I suspect maybe this is what I have to do to overcome the issues I have encountered ?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

venno wrote:
The harmony was a really clever system it knew what devices were on and when switching activity (as opposed to a cold start) it knew what to turn off and what to turn on.

No UEI remotes have this feature built-in. For some remotes we developed "extenders" that add new functionality to the remote, including this feature which we call by the strange acronym "ToadTog". You can find more information on Extenders and on ToadTog in the Wiki (select Wiki from the menu at the top of every forum page). Unfortunately, the newer remotes such as your URC7955 have a structure to their setup data such that we have not been able to write extenders for these remotes. The most recent remote for which an extender with ToadTog is available is the URC6440 in Europe, or its US equivalent the OARUSB04G. These are now difficult to find, though I believe they are still available from some sources. (This is my preferred remote, and the one that I personally use for my equipment.)

You may, however, be able to use macros that include discrete codes to achieve what you want. Discrete codes are ones that only turn a device ON, or only OFF, so they have no effect if the device is already ON or OFF. Most equipment has discrete codes but they are often not on the original remote. There is a whole forum here on Discrete Codes to help you find them for your equipment.

Quote:
I also ran into another issue that was no probs on harmony, my PJ needs the power command sent twice to power off. I cannot see in rmir where/how I can modify how things are powered off.

You should be able to use a macro to send the command twice.

Quote:
I like the activities grouping for things like watch TV but need to modify the section where certain keys are punched thru as I need to add some amp surround switching keys to the Audio part. The software will not let me modify these sections.

The punchthru key groupings are built in to the firmware of the remote, so our software has no control over them. Again, you may find macros useful to achieve what you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: