JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trying to program a JP1.3 and feeling lost ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
st5000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Trying to program a JP1.3 and feeling lost ... Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying to add a few missing buttons to my 15-100 remote. Off-the-shelf it can be programmed w/o a computer to control an LG TV just fine. But I have no access to newer feature like internet applications because certain LG buttons (remote codes) don't appear to be part of the 15-100's built in LG remote code set.

So, that said, I'm willing to try RMIR or what ever JP1 application I should be using (RMDU?). I have cobbled together a 15-100 cable and FTDI chip and have downloaded what there is from the 15-100 using RMIR (which its self was recently downloaded from sourceforge - so it likely the latest version). But when I look at what got downloaded - I only see a fraction of what I expected. I think I am only seeing the MODE button codes (i.e. TV, CD, DVD, etc). So my hopes of finding the codes for the buttons, finding an unused button, entering the missing codes to access the LG internet features and programming the data back into the 15-100 are, well, up in smoke.

What am I doing wrong?

So next, I assume I can not see the individual buttons because they are built into the 15-100. And that what I really need is a file, probably a <file_name>.rmir file, that contains these buttons. As I think you can't modify the built in button code. Rather you need to start with a duplicate set of codes, modify them and write that data back to the 15-100? I'm asking because I still can't find that initial file of button codes ... which leave me thinking I'm going about this all wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

-thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't mention it, but I assume you've already done the hard part which is fabricating a 6-pin connector on the 15-100, as it didn't come with one and it was one of the harder ones to add one too.

But otherwise you are correct, RMIR doesn't give you any visibility to the built in setup codes, you can just see the setup code number. RMIR only sees the EEPROM, not the ROM.

If you check the file section, there should be many, many files for LG TVs, there may even be a master file which cobbles together all the codes from the other upgrades. You need to load one of those into your remote and modify it to suit your needs.
st5000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I got as many things working as I could before coming here. Built an FTDI cable adapter, installed RMIR & RMDU and read data from the 15-100 to a file on my computer,

So, after reading your post...

I found files w/nearly the same model number as my LG TV. Started RMIR and loaded that file. Actually, I think RMIR started RMDU and that loaded in the file. Switched to my remote (15-100). Fixed a few orphaned code to key relation ships. Then I realized it was missing the codes for WIDGETS and NETCAST. That was the whole point of doing this. So I added the codes from the LG manual and associated them with keys on the remote. Then uploaded (well I think I uploaded) the resulting file.

But, as far as I can tell, the remote is not acting any differently. I suspect I'm missing a step here. Likely I need to do something to the remote to switch away from the built in LG TV codes I had picked using the remote toward using the new codes I just uploaded (or that I "think" I just uploaded).
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV device button on the General tab must be assigned to the setup code of the new device upgrade that you modified.
st5000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to ask this... I'm sure the correct answer is only a few clicks away... But in RMIR under the GENERAL tab I do not see a way to set the TV device button. Hopefully I'm in the correct place in the correct application.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the first screenshot on this page. Enter the setup code in the Setup Code column on the TV row.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F

The setup code is usually assigned automatically when you first add the new device upgrade. You should have been prompted for which device button to assign the device to when you finished your edits. But you can always go back to the General tab to change setup code assignments and other settings like volume and channel lock.

You may want to read that entire wiki article to get a better understanding of the whole process.
st5000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've found a problem (my problem??). In the web page you referred me to there is this text:
Quote:
Once you are done assign the buttons as you like, click 'Ok'.

...and I can see in the graphics there on that web page there is an "OK" button. But I, even after expanding the RMDU window to the entirety of my computer screen, see no buttons other than "Audo assign" and a grayed out "Remove".

Here is everything (slightly edited) from the RMDU about web page:

Code:
RM Device Upgrade Editor (RMDU), v2.12.15
Get the latest version at https://controlremote.sourceforge.io
Java version 11.0.11 from Ubuntu
Home directory is /mnt/space_001/space/proj/jp1/rmir
RDFs loaded from /mnt/space_001/space/proj/jp1/rmir/RDF
Written primarily by Greg Bush with substantial additions and help from Graham Dixon
Other contributors include:
John S Fine, Nils Ekberg, Jon Armstrong, Robert Crowe, Mark Pauker, Mark Pierson, Mike England

With respect to: "See the first screenshot on this page. Enter the setup code in the Setup Code column on the TV row. " ...
... there are no entries in that box in the RMIR GENERAL tab window. That is, I don't see a way to add an entry so that I can edit any values in the Setup Code column. I suspect since RMDU is unable to "send" information to RMIR, RMIR is not creating any new entries in the that box.
st5000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added later...

Looks like v2.13.0 just got added (about July 17th 2:00pm UTC). I've downloaded it and I still do not get the bottom row of button in the RMDU application. I am looking to use the "OK" button specifically.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey st5000, i think it might help if we can see some screenshots of RMIR or RM where you don't see an OK button.

Anticipating your next question...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6557

It might also help if we can see the RMIR file that you created with the LG tv upgrade added.

Anticipating your next question...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102759
st5000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah!

Even if you launch RMIR but ask it to load a *.rmdu file it will launch RMDU w/o an "OK" key on the Layout tab!

That may have been covered in the above referenced web page, but was not obvious to me.

So, I am now launching RMIR and loading an *.rmir file. Then I go to the RMIR Devices tab and click New which will launch RMDU which will display an OK button on the Layout tab.

Hopefully now all I need to do is to return to RMIR and upload the new configurations to my remote.

Last edited by st5000 on Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help if you try to visualize what a universal remote is, it's a collection of device upgrades (or "setup codes") where each device upgrade has been designed to work a particular device. You remote comes with thousands of setup codes built into it, and JP1 allows you to add even more.

So, as an end user, your job is to chose which setup codes you need and to assign them to the device buttons, so that the TV button works your tv, and the CBL button works your cable box, etc.

Now, let's cross over into the JP1 world...

Remote Master is really 2 programs in one, first there's RMIR, which lets you customize your remote, and then there's RM which let's you modify or build device upgrades for your remote. So, as you found, when you're in RMIR mode, you open .rmir files, and when you're in RM mode, you open .rmdu files.

So, for you, the very first step should be to fire up RMIR and download your remote's current memory, then save this as a .rmir file. Then, go to the Devices tab and use the New button to open and modify a .rmir file for your LG TV. As a convenience, when you click OK it will ask you if you want to assign the new setup code to one of the device buttons. Keep in mind, if you don't assign it to a device button, all you have done is add one more setup code to all the others that are in the remote's memory but are not being used. You can only test and use the new setup code if you assign it to a device button.

There are lots of other things that you can do with JP1, but I don't want to overload you, so that's enough to get started.
st5000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum things up, I got my 15-100 working (issuing LG codes which included new codes made up by LG way after the creation of this 15-100 remote). My take away is to not assume anything. Make sure to follow the most recent Remote Master instructions. Short cuts that appear logical may not have been considered by those putting together the scripts. In my case reading the original remote first and building upon that file would likely have saved me days of trying. Was it worth it? I'm on the fence. If just for money - then no, it's not. It would have been much easier to have picked up an OEM (or even a knock off) LG remote to access the features missing from the built in 15-100 LG codes. But if you like a 50/50 mix of HW/SW hacking ... then go for it!

Thanks to everyone for their help!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your goal is just to control one device and only use functions that are on the OEM remote, you are right, an OEM remote is the way to go.

But if your goal is to control many different devices with one remote, cover every function that the device supports (even buttons that aren't on the OEM remote) and to be able to use a single button to start everything up and a single button to shut it all down, then JP1 is the way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: