JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

macOS 11.4 RMIR 2.12.x issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greeno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: macOS 11.4 RMIR 2.12.x issues Reply with quote

hi,
I broke this thread out from the RMIR thread. I'm running a Macbook Pro, macOS 11.4, and cannot get RMIR to launch. I'm trying to run RMIR.v2.12.15 natively under the mac OS. I double click in RemoteMaster.jar and get the following in the error log:
*** Error: Unable to open protocol database
RMIR v2.12.15
Installation folder is not read-only
Incorporates Girr v2.2.9
Girr Commit Id: ffb8129
Incorporates IrpTransmogrifier v1.2.8
IrpTransmogrifier Commit Id: 438b283
System Properties:
java.version = 1.8.0_291
java.vendor = Oracle Corporation
os.name = Mac OS X
os.arch = x86_64
java.home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home
java.class.path = /Users/number1coach/Desktop/RMIR.v2.12.15-bin/RemoteMaster.jar

Caught exception in RemoteMaster.main()!
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.hifiremote.jp1.DynamicURLClassLoader.addFiles(DynamicURLClassLoader.java:79)
at com.hifiremote.jp1.RemoteMaster.createAndShowGUI(RemoteMaster.java:6946)
at com.hifiremote.jp1.RemoteMaster.access$77(RemoteMaster.java:6825)
at com.hifiremote.jp1.RemoteMaster$12.run(RemoteMaster.java:7064)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

any ideas?
thanks,
jeff
chuliu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eNlaRf0VxqhhNWrRHQFm1fAY7jqBY1pN/view?usp=sharing

I am not sure what the problem is but I have the exact same environment as yours. macbook pro running macos 11.4, the same java version, and the same rmir version. My rmir runs just fine.
greeno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and positive datapoint. I think my Java install is broken. The inability to run natively under 11.4 is one issue. When running under parallels, I can’t launch rmir via the link. I can only get it to run by double clicking the upgrade I made last March-April.

I guess I’ll have to work on fully uninstalling Java and reinstalling. I did get the Oracle uninstall tool and ran it, but didn’t fully check if that tool did what it was supposed to do. As you can see in the log above I did get it to see the latest official oracle version, 1.8_291.

I’m all ears for any suggestions.
Best,
Jeff
greeno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update. on another macbook pro, i did a clean OS install, installed the JDK (there was no java install by default) only and RMIR 2.12.15 runs fine.

my other system is still a bit confused. i fully uninstalled java 8, installed the jdk (same as above system) and it refuses to launch. on this system, i feel that parallels is interfering somehow.

i also note that java appears to not be required, just the jdk. on the clean installed system, java doesn't show up under apple->system preferences like it does on the problematic macbook.

best,
jeff
chuliu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greeno wrote:
update. on another macbook pro, i did a clean OS install, installed the JDK (there was no java install by default) only and RMIR 2.12.15 runs fine.

my other system is still a bit confused. i fully uninstalled java 8, installed the jdk (same as above system) and it refuses to launch. on this system, i feel that parallels is interfering somehow.

i also note that java appears to not be required, just the jdk. on the clean installed system, java doesn't show up under apple->system preferences like it does on the problematic macbook.

best,
jeff

I read on the web that since java 11 they have removed java control panal.
Here is the link to the post. There is info on how to add the java control panal manually as well. Also, I don't think parallel is the cause of the failure to launch rmir, because I have installed parallel on my macbook, too.

A wild guess. Can you see how many versions of java you have installed on your old system? You can open terminal app and use export command to switch java version, and launch remotemaster.jar from the command line.

On my macbook pro, I have 3 version installed. Even if I switch to the latest java version in the terminal, if I double click on the remotemaster.jar, instead of laucning it from the terminal, rmir reports that it is using jdk 11.02, not the latest 1.89,which I set in the terminal with export command. My guess is that when I double click instead of launching it from a terminal, there is some conflict between the java versions.
greeno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a mac, how do i set a new value for the environment variable JAVA_HOME?
i know how to do it in a shell, but not for this program. i.e. what file do i edit?
@mathdon @barf
greeno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the laptop where native RMIR was working, i tested it after each update that macOS wanted to do. RMIR stopped working after the last 11.4 update. so it seems that the RMIR isn't happy with that one.

so incompatibility?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greeno wrote:
on a mac, how do i set a new value for the environment variable JAVA_HOME?
i know how to do it in a shell, but not for this program. i.e. what file do i edit?
@mathdon @barf

On OSes based upon the Unix/Posix tradition (like MacOS and Linix), a process can only set environment variables for itself and its children. On how to set system envirnoments variables, consult the MacOS documentation (I do not know).

But more importantly, there appars to be a misunderstanding her. You can set environment variablel (like JAVA_HOME) as much as you like, it is still to to the individual programs to observe it -- or not. My programs (like IrScrutinizer) do not use JAVA_HOME at all, RMIR only in Setup.vbs that is run once on setup, on Windows only -- subsequent changes are not take into account.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

please try RMIR-2.12.18-jar-with-dependencies.jar instead. Just download, copy it to the same directory, and doubl click Even better, try to execute from a console/Terminal by

Code:
java -jar RMIR-2.12.18-jar-with-dependencies.jar

And, or course, upload rmaster.err...
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Barf

Operating systems are nowadays very fussy about what they allow. I just clicked on your link (I know, I already have the file Very Happy ) and the download was blocked, with a message that files of this type can be harmful Crying or Very sad . But I don't know why you suggest this as RemoteMaster.jar is simply this file re-named and development build v2.12.18 doesn't have any changes that are likely to affect his issue.
greeno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all for the replies. i hadn't tried a commandline launch. can someone provide the full list of commandline args? i don't see that in the documentation.

also, what about the case of the cleanly rebuilt macbook pro, updated from the default OS (10.x) up to 11.4, via 3 or so updates. RMIR worked by launching the jar file with only the jdk installed UNTIL after update 11.4. the error log looks like the one above as far as i can tell.

I'm also worried about setup vbase script. it's doing something sort of heavy handed, and underneath the covers. on my macbook pro (the one i had RMIR running on in march), i dl'd v2.12.15. i already had v2.12.0 installed. neither will launch the jar (error logs like above). running setup script (for running under parallels) in the v2.12.15, then causes the RMIR images in the 2.12.0/newImages dir to look to the 2.12.15 install! Have we sort of 'out smarted' ourselves? is there a way to force the app to use a more localized setup and information.
lastly, when you run the setup vbase script it says to use JAVA_HOME to use another java version, but i don't see that variable set anywhere. is the dialog box info deprecated?
don't get me wrong i love this tool, especially compared to the really old school way we had to do things before it. i'm trying to get control of the tool and make it work reliably for me. currently, i have to use an upgrade i made in march, launch that and then i use the tool. if that stops working i'll have no alternative.

So i'm circling back to command line usage. what are all of the options the tool understands from the commandline? I just tried launching from the commandline with 'java -jar RemoteMaster.jar' from the 2.12.15 distribution and again got the same set of errors:
RMIR v2.12.15
Installation folder is not read-only
Incorporates Girr v2.2.9
Girr Commit Id: ffb8129
Incorporates IrpTransmogrifier v1.2.8
IrpTransmogrifier Commit Id: 438b283
System Properties:
java.version = 16.0.1
java.vendor = Oracle Corporation
os.name = Mac OS X
os.arch = x86_64
java.home = /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-16.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home
java.class.path = RemoteMaster.jar

Caught exception in RemoteMaster.main()!
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "java.io.File.exists()" because "path" is null
at com.hifiremote.jp1.RemoteManager.initPath(RemoteManager.java:62)
at com.hifiremote.jp1.RemoteManager.loadRemotes(RemoteManager.java:107)
at com.hifiremote.jp1.RemoteMaster.createAndShowGUI(RemoteMaster.java:6967)
at com.hifiremote.jp1.RemoteMaster.access$77(RemoteMaster.java:6825)
at com.hifiremote.jp1.RemoteMaster$12.run(RemoteMaster.java:7064)
at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:316)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:770)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:391)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:740)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)

this log shows my removal (following oracles instructions of how to do that right) of old java installs (version 8) and just using the v16 jdk (minimum as per RMIR docs) was successful, but no joy still. this is the same error as the clean install AFTER the 11.4 update.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
@Barf

Operating systems are nowadays very fussy about what they allow. I just clicked on your link (I know, I already have the file Very Happy ) and the download was blocked, with a message that files of this type can be harmful Crying or Very sad .

Let's just say that the discussion it is off topic here...

Quote:

But I don't know why you suggest this as RemoteMaster.jar is simply this file re-named

Sorry, I did not know this. Using the same name for different things is not a method I would normally recommend ... Confused
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greeno wrote:
thanks all for the replies. i hadn't tried a commandline launch. can someone provide the full list of commandline args? i don't see that in the documentation.

For RMIR, to my knowledge, you have to read the source (RemoteMaster.java). A --help option is not implemented. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
I'm also worried about setup vbase script.

You should not be; it is for Windows only.

Quote:
So i'm circling back to command line usage. what are all of the options the tool understands from the commandline? I just tried launching from the commandline with 'java -jar RemoteMaster.jar' from the 2.12.15 distribution and again got the same set of errors:

I looked at the errors, and it appears the the "workDir" does not have a sensible value.

Please try the following wrapper, possibly afterr some tweaking. Install with the names (plural!) rmir, rmdu, rmpb, and make executable. (Disclaimer: not officially condoned!)

Code:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Wrapper for RMDU/RMIR/RMPB on Unix-like system

# Set JAVA to the command that should be used to invoke the program,
# can be absolute or sought in the path.
# Presently, at least Java version 8 is needed.
JAVA=${JAVA:-java}

SCALE_ARG=-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=${SCALE_FACTOR:-1}

export RMHOME="$(dirname -- "$(readlink -f -- "${0}")" )"

if [ "$(basename "$0")" = "rmir" -o "$(basename "$0")" = "rmir.sh" ] ; then
    ARG=-ir
elif [ "$(basename "$0")" = "rmpb" ] ; then
    ARG=-pb
else
    ARG=-rm
fi

# Making the program(s) Freedisktop compatible.
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-${HOME}/.config}
XDG_CACHE_HOME=${XDG_CACHE_HOME:-${HOME}/.cache}

CACHE_HOME=${XDG_CACHE_HOME}/rmir
CONFIG_HOME=${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/rmir

if [ ! -d "${CONFIG_HOME}" ] ; then
    mkdir -p "${CONFIG_HOME}"
fi
if [ ! -d "${CACHE_HOME}" ] ; then
    mkdir -p "${CACHE_HOME}"
fi

CONFIG=${CONFIG_HOME}/properties

exec "${JAVA}" ${SCALE_ARG} -Djava.library.path="${RMHOME}" \
     -jar "${RMHOME}/RemoteMaster.jar" \
     -h "${RMHOME}" -properties "${CONFIG}" \
     -errors "${CACHE_HOME}/rmaster.err" ${ARG} \
     "$@"
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
Sorry, I did not know this. Using the same name for different things is not a method I would normally recommend.

I am not using different names for the same thing (which is presumably what you meant), as the name RMIR-2.12.18-jar-with-dependencies.jar is internal to the RMIR build process. It would never have seen the light of day if you had not dug it out of the target directory of the build process. If you really meant using the same name for different things, all I can think of is that there is a file called RemoteMaster.jar in every release of RMIR and they are all different, but all applications re-use names when they are updated. It would be very confusing to do otherwise.
greeno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you barf!
with a slight tweak to your script, i can get RMIR to launch from the command line, the tweak was to just hardcode ARG to '-ir' so that that's what would launch.

upon loading there are two complaints of the same type:
1. libjp12serial.jnilib cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. the choices are continue or move to trash
2. ditto for libDecodeIR.jnilib

i know how to launch from the command line and app and let the OS know it's a trusted app. how to do this from the commandline?

the file permissions in the Mac OX X-i386 dir look like this for these two files:
-rw-r--r--@ 1 number1coach staff 30100 Nov 5 2020 libjp12serial.jnilib
-rw-r--r--@ 1 number1coach staff 104712 Sep 6 2020 libDecodeIR.jnilib

we're getting there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: