JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Writing and assigning macro to power from 'everywhere'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chileboy

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Writing and assigning macro to power from 'everywhere' Reply with quote

I want to write a macro that powers on both the display and A/V receiver, then go to the "Activities" screen and then assign it to the Main Power button so that it works from any menu on the remote.

It's confusing to me because on the Macros tab you have to "bind" a key - which I arbitrarily set to Display/Power - and then the macro sends discrete on to both the display and receiver. The last command is Button: Activities - which again is confusing because you have to select a Device for that as well, even though to me it's a device-independent command.

This is the macro:

I have a couple of issues Sad

The macro doesn't seem to work, I guess because the "Bound" key is Display-Power is just a power toggle, and the "Learned" Discrete On doesn't appear in the list. So even though I've assigned the macro individually to every device via the "Devices" tab, it only toggles the display on and off.

Also, I don't seem to be able to get the Button: commands to work at all. For instance, I added "Display: Button:Home" to the end of my Good Night Activity macro, and while it powers everything down, it doesn't return to the Home screen.

What am I not understanding? Thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the "Button" commands don't work. Not RM's fault but the remote's. No way around that.

I'm wondering why you had to learn the Denon Power On. We have lots of Denon upgrades with codes for this command. Even if you can't find the command in our upgrades, you should be able to convert the learn. Also realize than any Denon Input command and HDMI-CEC should also power on your Denon. If you want to simplify your macros, you should enable CEC on all your devices.

I'll need to see your RMIR file to fix it. Also let me know what model Denon you have.
chileboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave -

I misspoke when I said I was using "learned commands". The Denon is an S540BT. I did use the upgrade here for the S510BT, and everything worked except there is no discrete power on/off, nor was I able to easily find one that worked in the other upgrades - but I quickly figured out that incrementing the power toggle OBC by 1 and 2 implemented on/off respectively and just added them to the Functions tab.

I know about CEC and I've already enabled it on my display and the Denon. The problem is that it doesn't seem to work - I don't know if it's an incompatibility issue - the display is a pretty old Samsung (LN52A650A) manufactured in 2009 - but the only function that works is that powering off the display turns off the Denon. But powering on the Denon doesn't activate the display, nor does powering off the Denon turn off the display, and turning on the display does not turn on the Denon.

I just located on one of the Samsung sites what I hope is a newer firmware for the display, so I may try that to see if it addresses the problem, but I want to be careful as I'm leery of bricking it.

My intent was to simplify the operation for my household, who aren't really tech savvy. I figured if I could make the power button always power the system on and also take them to the screen where they can see "Good Night" that that would work.

Really, ideally I'd simply like the power button to be the power toggle for the display and/or Denon if CEC worked properly, since as you surmised that's my basic issue.

But simply as a point of interest, where in RMIR does one specify what device or macro is triggered by the main power button (understanding it can be assigned within an individual device, but I mean from the Home screen)?

Thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the second screenshot below, showing the Activities page, choose your power macro under the Button Group for Power (where "TV" is listed in the example). Repeat this for every activity, including Good Night.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F_-_RM-IR_Version#Xsight.2FNevo
chileboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Do you have any thoughts about the CEC thing? Is it common to have issues with older devices?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check the Samsung AnyNet settings to try to get power on working. On my TV (not a Samsung), my Denon turns on and off when I turn the TV on and off. I wouldn't expect turning on/off the Denon to turn on/off the display since one might often listen to the Denon without using a display. But you could be right that your TV is simply to old to have CEC fully implemented. My TV is only a couple of years old.

Another thing to be aware of is that any Denon discrete input command will also turn on the Denon. So none of my macros have any Denon power commands except my master power off (Good Night).
chileboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the link you sent me, I had an ah-ha moment regarding how that all worked. Many thanks for that. For now I just have the main power on the remote set to the power toggle on the display, which does turn on the Denon. I just need to teach everyone to use Good Night when they're done.

mdavej wrote:
I would check the Samsung AnyNet settings to try to get power on working. On my TV (not a Samsung), my Denon turns on and off when I turn the TV on and off. I wouldn't expect turning on/off the Denon to turn on/off the display since one might often listen to the Denon without using a display. But you could be right that your TV is simply to old to have CEC fully implemented. My TV is only a couple of years old.

This all makes sense. I'm going to double-check all of my settings again, but there really isn't much there. When I feel brave I will try the firmware update.

I honestly didn't realize this display was that old until I looked at the back panel. It's full HD and I've been happy with it, but it's in the living room and not my main system. I've been wanting to improve the experience so we don't always have to go downstairs to the HT to enjoy a movie. So new speakers and the Denon.

mdavej wrote:
Another thing to be aware of is that any Denon discrete input command will also turn on the Denon. So none of my macros have any Denon power commands except my master power off (Good Night).

That is definitely helpful! I do have the Denon power on in all of the Activities macros. So I can dispense with that.

Thanks for everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: