JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Connecting a JP1.1 remote via USB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob has confirmed in a PM that v0.27 of jp12serial works with the DIYGadget JP1 EEPROM adapter used with an FTDI cable, and the rmaster.err following a download includes the line

Opened interface type 6

Interface type 6 is new in v0.27 and corresponds to the adapter being identified in the initial test, before jp2_14Connect or subsequent tests for other types. This initial test is just Clear RTS, send '?' command, discard the returned data, then send the 'E' ping. If the ping is acknowledged then it is the adapter, interface type 6. The ping is only sent if the read following the '?' command succeeds, otherwise it continues to the next test. The Clear RTS and '?' command are both essential. If either is omitted then the ping fails.

I have given up trying to understand why the adapter behaves as it does. Its behaviour is consistent, the same for both the Tommy and DIYGadget adapters and a jp12serial based on that consistent behaviour has passed all tests. That is enough for me, however much I would like to understand why it behaves this way.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further testing of jp12serial v0.27 showed that the Linux binaries (many thanks to Barf for creating them) did not identify the JP1 EEPROM adapter as interface type 6 in the way that the Windows binaries did. They still worked with the adapter but identified it as if it were a JP1.2 remote, which is what previous versions of jp12serial did.

I have fixed this in v0.28, thanks again to Barf for the Linux and Mac OS X binaries. This will be included in the next release of RMIR, which I hope to make shortly.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this post earlier in this thread, 3FG suggested this Sparkfun Breakout board as a USB-to-Serial interface that has an FTDI chip and which gives access to both RTS and DTR signals. I thought it was worth getting one of these boards, since it has an FTDI chip (FT232RL), but I have only now got round to testing it. IT DOES NOT WORK Sad . Whether or not it is connected to a remote, an attempt at downloading with RMIR results in Java crashing. Here are some excerpts from the Java error log:

Code:
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00000000015581f9, pid=14456, tid=0x0000000000000ee0
# Problematic frame:
# C  [ftd2xx.dll+0x81f9]
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

I can access the board with RealTerm and have tested (with a meter between GND and the line under test) that the RTS and DTR lines behave as expected on sending set and clear signals for RTS and DTR and that TXD behaves correctly on setting and clearing BREAK. That tests all lines used by jp12serial except RXD which is an input line.

The Java error log makes it look as if there is a bug in the FTDI driver, but it is difficult to believe that as it works perfectly with all other FTDI cables and other devices. The chip has an FTDI logo and is marked as an FT232RL, which is what it is supposed to be. Has anyone any ideas about what is going on here?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my post above, I have now tested the Sparkfun board with RMIR under Linux (Ubuntu 20.04) and it works Rolling Eyes . Linux will have a different driver, so it does look like a driver problem. I recall that some FTDI drivers will not work with counterfeit FTDI chips. Is it possible that this board has a counterfeit chip? Do we know how FTDI drivers respond to counterfeit chips? Any other suggestions as to what is happening?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stranger and stranger Rolling Eyes . The Sparkfun board works in Windows 10 with 32-bit Java 8 (v1.8.0_271) but crashes with 64-bit Java 8 (v1.8.0_241).
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally resolved the issue with the Sparkfun board. With Windows, but not other OS, jp12serial optimizes the order in which Auto-detect tests COM ports, by giving priority to COM ports that are FTDI devices other than IR Widgets and skipping those that are IR Widgets. This is very long-standing code that I developed many years ago together with Kevin Timmerman.

This code involves reading the EEPROM of the FTDI chip by using functions provided by FTDI in ftd2xx.dll, which is why the optimization is specific to Windows. For some unknown reason this read of the chip EEPROM was crashing with an access violation when performed through the facilities of 64-bit Java, though not with 32-bit Java. Moreover, the crash appeared specific to the chip on the Sparkfun board, as this optimization has worked with 64-bit Java with other FTDI interface cables for many years. I presume it is due to a bug in either Java or the FTDI driver that manifests itself only in a very particular combination of circumstances that just happens to occur with the chip of the Sparkfun board.

FTDI provides two different methods for reading the EEPROM. The one currently used in jp12serial is supported by Windows 2000 and later. RMIR used to be compatible with Windows 2000, but as RMIR now requires Java 8 or later, the earliest supported Windows OS is Windows XP. The other FTDI method for reading the EEPROM is supported by Windows XP and later, so changing to this method does not reduce the backward compatibility of RMIR.

I have found that the Sparkfun board does not crash with 64-bit Java when this second method is used for reading the EEPROM. I can see no downside to this change and so, after further testing, I will issue yet another new version of jp12serial which does this and will include it in the next release of RMIR.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting journey that you're on Graham.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
This is an interesting journey that you're on Graham.

Yes, I am astonished how much I have discovered, all of which stems from Randy (HamburgerHelper1) kindly donating two JP1.1 remotes to me. Let me say once again how grateful I am for that donation which started me on this journey.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Connecting a JP1.1 remote via USB Reply with quote

You are very Welcome Graham.
Indeed a quick glance at this thread is very interesting
Due to a family medical emergency I have not had time to concentrate on it, and will
probably be spending less time on such activities in the near future.
But as my stress level permits I will keep tabs on this forum
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I have now received both remotes safely from HamburgerHelper1, the Time Warner-badged one (labelled JP1 at the connector) and the Comcast (labelled JP1.1). Both remotes work but so far I have failed to communicate with either of them. I have tried two loose-wire cables from different suppliers with pin 5 connected to the blue wire that is supposed to be CTS, forming what I understand to be a JP1.1/1.2 cable. I have tested both with a JP1.2 remote and can download with both of them. Both cables give no remotes found when tried with the JP1.1 remotes, both with RMIR and with IR.exe. I have tried the connector both ways round, as the Comcast pins are unlabelled but pins 1 and 2 are labelled on the Time Warner one. I have also tried the Comcast with and without batteries, in case that is significant.

I am puzzled in particular by the inability to download from the Comcast with IR.exe, as I thought that was tried and tested. I will try to investigate further, but if Rob or anyone has further suggestions, they would be very welcome.

I had a similar issue years ago when I got a CableVision/Optimum remote it has the six pins but I could not get RMIR to do anything other then the dreaded "No Remotes Found" message!

I still have them maybe I should try them again with the newest version of IR?

Although a 2 device remote is not worth wasting time in my opinion but I can do it just because and I have the remote (somewhere I saw it when I was looking for something that I didn't find but I did find what I was looking for the last time I went looking for something LoL!)
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

120240VAC60HZ wrote:
I had a similar issue years ago when I got a CableVision/Optimum remote it has the six pins but I could not get RMIR to do anything other then the dreaded "No Remotes Found" message!

I still have them maybe I should try them again with the newest version of IR?

There is no new version of IR, but I would be interested for you to try with the latest RMIR, which is v2.13.0. What cable do you have? If the remote has a MAXQ processor then v2.13.0 will not work if the cable has a Prolific chip. In that case you will need to wait for v2.13.1 which I will be posting shortly, which removes the limitations of the Prolific chip.

I am always interested in remotes with 6-pin connectors that we cannot communicate with, however simple the remote may be, so I would like to resolve this. Please let me know what happens if you try, and also what cable you are using.
ddp_JP1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for adding support for JP1.1 remotes and explaining how to interface with them! This is really great. I was able to communicate with what I believe is a Comcast URC-1058 and to load an update file to it using the board linked to earlier in this thread and the JP11USB interface setting with RMIR 3.0.10 on Arch Linux.

When I download the remote, I get a "Fixed Data Mismatch" error: "The fixed data in the RDF does not match the values in the remote. Do you want to replace the values in the remote with those from the RDF?" I say no. Should I worry about this error? Do I need to change the RDF? Should I change the remote? Thanks!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddp_JP1 wrote:
When I download the remote, I get a "Fixed Data Mismatch" error: "The fixed data in the RDF does not match the values in the remote. Do you want to replace the values in the remote with those from the RDF?" I say no. Should I worry about this error? Do I need to change the RDF? Should I change the remote?

I have just downloaded from my Comcast URC-1058 and do not get this mismatch. The fixed data is only one byte that is FE in the RDF and my remote. Fixed data is used in RMIR to distinguish between different models of remote that have the same signature. I see that my Comcast actually has a label inside that says it is a URC-1057BC0, not a URC-1058. Does yours have a label in the battery compartment with a model number? It may be that we actually have slightly different models and that the RDF was created from one like mine. I see that you only say that you THINK yours is a Comcast URC-1058. Do you have any reason other than this mismatch to doubt that it is?

In any case, it is not significant. Continue to say No to the message about changing it. I would be grateful if you could do a raw download of your remote and post it for me to look at. I think the best solution would be to create a new RDF that has the fixed data value in your remote, so that RMIR can distinguish them.
ddp_JP1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much. I uploaded the remote to the diagnosis area. Please let me know if you also would like me to reset all values and upload a new copy. (If so, could you remind me what code to use to reset the remote?)

I think that the remote is a URC-1058 based on the blink signature and the remote matching the picture for that model. The sticker in the battery compartment doesn't refer to URC-1058 though and there is no obvious other model number. There are three lines with relatively long numbers and fourth line that says "Made in Indonesia." Please let me know if it would be helpful to have all these.

I also have what is hopefully a pretty basic question. I'm trying to set up the remote to use to control a relatively recent Samsung smart TV. I created an upgrade that includes the arrow keys and uploaded it to the remote. I created the update as VCR and uploaded it to TV. When I press the arrow keys, the Cable light illuminates, and the codes I want aren't sent. Do I need to use different devices for the upgrade and the device I assign it to? Is there a setting like VPT that I need to set? Although I very much like and appreciate JP1, I tend to program remotes infrequently and to forgot a lot of what I've learned before when I do. Thanks very much.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save you having to do a search, here's a link to his file Graham:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26814
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: