JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why isn't the URC-7880 available in Lookup Tool?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlotje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Why isn't the URC-7880 available in Lookup Tool? Reply with quote

Which remote should I choose for a substitute? Does it matter?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us what you're trying to do and maybe we can guide you.
Sandlotje

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal is to find EFC and/or setup codes for my Nvidia Shield, LG C8P TV, Samsung JS9000 TV that can be used with my URC-7880.

Something that is a bit confusing is that when I was looking into EFCs for the Shield using RMIR, the setup code according to RMIR was 0295 for the Shield for all four files available using the "File Search" tool. The confusing part is that 0295 did not appear to be a valid code under STB or GAME for my remote.

Using RMIR, I set the remote control model to the URC-7880 and tried different device types, but nothing I did seemed to change the setup code (0295) to one that I can use to control the Shield. I must be doing something wrong, but what?

Using RMIR (without the ability to connect a remote to the computer), shouldn't I be able to just launch the program, select my remote, select the target device, load a downloaded file and use the setup code specified in RMIR?

I know I'm wrong about something, I just don't know what. I'm trying to learn and really understand this stuff.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just scanned your other posts and I see that your current JP1 cable doesn't work, so you've ordered another one. So let's just wait until you get your new cable so we can program your remote properly.

For the Nvidia Shield, it appears that some boxes have IR and can be controlled directly, and other do not, so you need a USB solution like an Inteset IReTV IR USB receiver. Do you know which you have?

Here's the stand alone code:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14747

Here's the Inteset IReTV IR USB receiver for Fire TV / Nvidia Shield:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25479

Most LG TVs use the same codeset, so pick one here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=23&sort_method=file_name&sort_order=ASC&start=184

Likewise for Samsung TVs, either use the master file here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26277

or pick an upgrade from here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=23&sort_method=file_name&sort_order=ASC&start=430
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Shields don't have an IR receiver. Are you sure yours does? Have you bought a 3rd party IR receiver for it?

If you're using RMIR, you don't need the lookup tool.
Sandlotje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I just scanned your other posts and I see that your current JP1 cable doesn't work, so you've ordered another one. So let's just wait until you get your new cable so we can program your remote properly.

Good idea. It looks like it hasn't shipped yet, but hopefully it does soon (from DIYGadget). Now I do have the BLED bluetooth adapter coming in the mail today, so hopefully I can make some progress using the bluetooth adapter. We shall see.

Quote:
For the Nvidia Shield, it appears that some boxes have IR and can be controlled directly, and other do not, so you need a USB solution like an Inteset IReTV IR USB receiver. Do you know which you have?

I have got two nVidia Shields. One w/ IR, one without. The one w/ IR is the 2015 Pro. The one w/o is the 2017 standard version.

Quote:
Here's the stand alone code:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14747

Here's the Inteset IReTV IR USB receiver for Fire TV / Nvidia Shield:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25479

Most LG TVs use the same codeset, so pick one here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=23&sort_method=file_name&sort_order=ASC&start=184

Likewise for Samsung TVs, either use the master file here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26277

or pick an upgrade from here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=23&sort_method=file_name&sort_order=ASC&start=430

When I get my remote connected, I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out. I've got a feeling things will be much more clear when I have the cable connected. Very Happy
Sandlotje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Most Shields don't have an IR receiver. Are you sure yours does? Have you bought a 3rd party IR receiver for it?

If you're using RMIR, you don't need the lookup tool.

That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation. I'm just going to wait until I can get the remote connected to the program, and see if that helps my understanding and learning.

And yes, my Shield definitely has it. I wish my second Shield did, too.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd have checked here, or asked us, before buying all of your cables from DIY, you could have bought an FTDI cable on ebay, where they're under $10 shipped. The only thing with those cables is they come with either a 1*6 connector or 6 individual connectors, none of them come with the 2*3 connector that you need for JP1 remotes, but it's simple enough to buy connectors on ebay too, where you can usually get a bag of 20 for under $5.

More info here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlotje wrote:
Something that is a bit confusing is that when I was looking into EFCs for the Shield using RMIR, the setup code according to RMIR was 0295 for the Shield for all four files available using the "File Search" tool. The confusing part is that 0295 did not appear to be a valid code under STB or GAME for my remote.
The setup codes in RMIR are completely random and arbitrary. They will not correlate to any built in codes except by pure chance.

The official built in setup code for the 1st generation Shield with built in IR is cable 04918 which is too new to be in the lookup tool anyway.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlotje wrote:
Now I do have the BLED bluetooth adapter coming in the mail today, so hopefully I can make some progress using the bluetooth adapter.

Please note that you have to install Extender 1.00 for the URC7880 before you can make full use of the BLED dongle. I have said elsewhere that you need a cable to install this extender. I find that my memory was defective Embarassed . I have just re-read the installation instructions that I wrote and I saw that in fact you install the extender by using the BLED dongle itself, without the need for a cable. This is not true of Extender 2.00 but you only need v1.00 to use RMIR with the dongle.
Sandlotje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Need help understanding what to do next URC-7880 Extender v1 Reply with quote

Thank you guys so much for all of the help! This is the second time I'm making a huge effort to really get this stuff down.

I just received my BLED112 in the mail (hooray!), connected the remote, and have finished loading the extender to the remote.

I'm at the point in the directions in the ReadMe file where it now says that I can either choose to install it, or uninstall it, and provides the instructions on how to do so. Can someone please tell me what the difference is between having it installed or not?

I thought the ONLY purpose of the extender was to be able to upload to the remote with RMIR. I don't really understand the concept of "extenders" anyway, so that's probably contributing to my confusion.

Why I want to install it, why would I not want to install it?

I'm at the fork in the road, and I literally have no idea which way to go.
Sandlotje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Sandlotje wrote:
The setup codes in RMIR are completely random and arbitrary. They will not correlate to any built in codes except by pure chance.

The official built in setup code for the 1st generation Shield with built in IR is cable 04918 which is too new to be in the lookup tool anyway.

Oh, gotcha. I've seen you mention this a couple of times to other members, but I just assumed that it was only arbitrary without an RDF loaded, and that with the RDF it would have the nums/codes for it.
Sandlotje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Sandlotje wrote:
Now I do have the BLED bluetooth adapter coming in the mail today, so hopefully I can make some progress using the bluetooth adapter.

Please note that you have to install Extender 1.00 for the URC7880 before you can make full use of the BLED dongle. I have said elsewhere that you need a cable to install this extender. I find that my memory was defective Embarassed . I have just re-read the installation instructions that I wrote and I saw that in fact you install the extender by using the BLED dongle itself, without the need for a cable. This is not true of Extender 2.00 but you only need v1.00 to use RMIR with the dongle.

Oh, you wrote those instructions? Smile I feel like I'm in the presence of greatness. I admire your work and wonder how in the world you know all this stuff to put it together. I'm very impressed.

I just don't know if I want to install the extender or not... because I don't know what it means overall lol. Embarassed
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlotje wrote:
I just don't know if I want to install the extender or not... because I don't know what it means overall lol. Embarassed
I assume you went to the trouble and expense of getting a BLED dongle in order to use it to program your remote over bluetooth with RMIR. In order to do that, you're going to have to install the extender. If you are content using a cable, then you don't need to install the extender.

Did your remote work with the Shield when you loaded the code I posted? Have you attempted to program your remote with the phone app from one-for-all?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandlotje wrote:
I'm at the point in the directions in the ReadMe file where it now says that I can either choose to install it, or uninstall it, and provides the instructions on how to do so. Can someone please tell me what the difference is between having it installed or not?

I thought the ONLY purpose of the extender was to be able to upload to the remote with RMIR. I don't really understand the concept of "extenders" anyway, so that's probably contributing to my confusion.

Why I want to install it, why would I not want to install it?

You want to install it because you want RMIR to work with the BLED dongle. You cannot uninstall it unless you have first installed it. There is no logical reason ever to uninstall it, but the option is there as some users do not like doing something that is irreversible.

You are right that the only purpose of this extender is to be able to upload to the remote with RMIR. There is not much point in using RMIR if you can only download. In general, an extender is a piece of software that adds to the features of the remote into which it is installed. In this case the added feature is the ability to upload to the remote using Bluetooth with the BLED dongle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: