JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do all URC-remotes have a USB-port?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
subhuti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Do all URC-remotes have a USB-port? Reply with quote

Hello!

I got a tremendous amount of help in this forum by the Robman and others 3 years ago when I was first going to get a universal remote, and couldn't make head or tales of anything.

I ended getting a "Oneforall" (or URC?) remote which was very simple, but all I needed, called URC-6430.

Only, I was not COMPLETELY in love with it. I thought it was quite heavy (I think they have put some metal weight into it), I didn't like that the number-buttons were at the bottom half instead the top half, but worst of all, I didn't feel it had enough buttons. I found myself needing 1 or 2 buttons more to encode all the functions I used.

I had another remote from the same company, but back from the 1990's, which had 4 more programmable buttons. That's the one I have actually been using day-to-day, and only using the new one when it was absolutely necessary, but now it's begun to show its age. The power-button has stopped working, and now another button doesn't seem to work, either.

So I would like to buy another remote from the same company, but with more buttons, and I was looking at the URC-1916, which is apparently a replacement for a Hisense TV.

https://www.oneforall.com/universal-remotes/urc-1916-hisense-tv-replacement-remote

But it doesn't say whether or not it has a USB port, and can be programmed. So I don't know if I can program it with RemoteMaster. Does anybody know about whether all remotes from this company have USB ports?

Also, I don't know if it ONLY works for a Hisense TV? I have an LG TV. Is it still possible to train it with the signals from my old remotes?

Hope somebody can help!

Thank you.

Isak
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few OneForAll brand remotes have a USB port. As far as I know, only the ones with "Simple" in the name have USB.

The URC-1916 isn't currently supported by Remote Master.

However, considering that 99% of the remotes supported by Remote Master have don't have a USB port, that's not a very important consideration.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dave said, we don't support this remote yet, but if it has a JP1 connector and if you buy a JP1 cable, we can probably add support for it. However, it appears to be a single device remote, so is it really what you are looking for? I think you really want a universal remote that can control multiple devices.

Would I be right in assuming that you do not have a JP1 cable but have instead been using USB controlled remotes?

If you were US based, I would recommend the OARUSB04G, which is less than $20 USD on Amazon, as it is USB controlled:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNIHM5S/

I believe the European equivalent is the URC-6540.

If you want greater flexibility you would have to buy an FTDI cable to use as a JP1 cable, then you could buy any One For All remote, just as long as it has a 6-pin connector. More details on the FTDI cables here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you were US based, I would recommend the OARUSB04G, which is less than $20 USD on Amazon, as it is USB controlled:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNIHM5S/

I believe the European equivalent is the URC-6540.

The European equivalent is actually the URC-6440, but I do not know if it is still available. I did a web search and the only result for it said it was out of stock and not known when it would again be available.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in Turkey is selling the URC-6440 for nearly $50 a pop on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008WWCHBS
chuliu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not ignore the op's preference to have the numeric buttons on top, not at the bottom. How about urc-7980 or urc 7880. It had 43 buttons compared to urc-6430, which has 34. You need to buy jp1 cable for installing extender, however
. It add bluetooth function to it. You can talk between rmir and your remote wirelessly. Its numeric buttons are on the top.
It controls 8 devices with one remote.
for urc-7880 limited stock can be purchased here:
https://www.amazon.com/One-All-Urc7880-Control-Universal/dp/B07VRP2BBP

you need to buy a jp1 cable. I bought mine from ebay shipped from china.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: