JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem with Samsung BluRay device upgrade on a RCA RCU810

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bison15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Problem with Samsung BluRay device upgrade on a RCA RCU810 Reply with quote

I'm an old member who hasn't used JP1 in years but recently found a need. I dusted off my old XP machine and dug my old JP1 parallel interface out of storage. I purchased a couple of new RCA RCU 810A remotes from ebay and added the 6 pin headers to each. I wanted to create device upgrade for a Sony and Samsung BluRay player as well as an 8 port hdmi switch. I used Keymap Master-v9.19 and IR 802. I used one of the RCU810-as a learning tool to learn the codes from the original remotes. I had no problem creating the upgrades for the Sony and 8 port hdmi switch but ran into a problem with the Samsung. The RCA was able to learn all of the codes from the Sasumg remote and I entered those into keymap master to create the device. The protocol is Samsung36 Device Code 32, subdevice 0 and E=7. I picked a random DVD setup code of 1590. I created the device upgrades in IR and uploaded them to one of the RCA remotes. The 8 port HDMI switch and Sony worked perfectly but the Samsung BluRay did not bind to the DVD key. I downloaded the remote to IR and the device upgrade is in the remotes memory. I tried to manually bind the device using the remote's code search key but the remote displays the error "Not found". It appears to be related to the Samsung36 protocol. Any help will be appreciated.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is that you forgot to copy the Sansung36 protocol code over from KM to IR. But without seeing your files, that's just a guess.

Btw, do you have Java installed on your XP box, and if so, what version do you have? I ask because KM and IR are both very obsolete, we use RM and RMIR for everything now. The current version of RM/RMIR requires Java 8, which isn't officially compatible with XP but I think folks have installed it and are using it.

Hopefully Graham will confirm, but if you have an older version of Java, I think these are the RMIR versions you can use:

Java 8 - v2.09 and up
Java 7 - v2.08
Java 6 - v2.03

All the old versions are stored here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/controlremote/files/RemoteMaster/
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob's list is correct. It is a bit fiddly to install Java 8 on Windows XP, but it is worth doing as it enables you to use the current version, v2.12.8, and probably all future ones as they are issued. I used the instructions in this YouTube video, which also includes written instructions, to install Java 8 on the Windows XP installation I use for testing. I found them to be clear and all worked as described there. Of Windows earlier than XP, I think the only version on which RMIR has been tested is Windows 2000. I believe Java 6 is the latest Java that supports.

All RMIR versions come in a number of different builds. Rob's list applies to all builds of the versions he mentions. With Java 8 or later I would recommend upgrading RMIR to the latest build, v2.12.8. With only Java 6 or Java 7, use the final build of the version that Rob lists.

Oracle made substantial changes to the licensing and distribution of Java after Java 8. The current one is Java 15, which works well with the current RMIR and provides one significant advantage over Java 8. This is the ability to scale RMIR to make it easier to read on high-definition screens. For more information on obtaining and installing current Java versions, see the post by 3FG in the announcement thread for RMIR v2.12, which I reproduce here:

3FG wrote:
This article does a pretty good job of explaining the current rather complicated Java situation, including the several ways that newer versions are distributed.
https://dzone.com/articles/a-guide-to-java-versions-and-features

bison15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Problem with Samsung BluRay device upgrade on a RCA RCU810 Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the responses. My other machines and a different partition on this unit are Windows 10 pro. Since I've not used JP1 for over a decade I'll investigate what it takes to convert to JP1 on Windows 10. The only reason I kept XP around was for JP1. The 1st thing I need is to figure out what electrical JP1 interface I need. Can someone point me in the direction to get started. Since the RCA RCU810 has been out of production for over a decade and hard to find, anyone have a recommendation for an 8-10 device JP compatible remote?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem for you on your newer machines is they most likely do not have a parallel port, so you would not be able to keep using your parallel cable.

The RCU810 is what we call an "EEPROM" remote, as were most of the remotes from that era. For a long time now newer JP1 remotes have been flash based, rather than EEPROM based, and these are called JP1.x remotes (where the x is a number that tells us a few more specifics about the type of remote).

The standard cable that we use to communicate with JP1.x remotes is an FTDI FT232RL cable. We have found that Prolific PL2303HXD cables also work in many cases, but we have come across remotes that don't work with Prolific cables but do work with FTDI, so we generally recommend FTDI.

Please notice that these cables usually come with either a 1*6 header, or 6 individual header connectors, whereas you need a 2*3 header for JP1 remotes. Most of us buy some 2*3 headers and replace the connector, but you can also glue the 6 individual connectors together to make a 2*3 connector.

More details here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

FTDI and Prolific cables don't natively work with old JP1 remotes, you would need a DIY Gadget JP1 EEPROM programming adapter to make the cable work with older remote, but I can vouch that it works because this is what I use.

If you don't think it's worth buying a new cable and adapter and would rather just keep the XP box around for JP1 programming, I would say that your first move should be to see what version of Java you have (if any) on the XP box. If you don't already have Java 8, you could try to install it using the video that Graham posted as a guide. If you get Java 8, you can use the very latest versions of RMIR. If you are limited to an older version of Java, you would also be limited to an older version of RMIR, but even that would still be a step up from KM and IR.

A quick and easy option to use the latest JP1 tools is to get a OARUSB04G remote, $18 on Amazon, less on ebay, as this remote comes with its own USB cable that you can use to connect to RMIR. However, it's only a 4 device remote. I see several RCU810 remotes on ebay for under $10 each with shipping.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
A quick and easy option to use the latest JP1 tools is to get a OARUSB04G remote, $18 on Amazon, less on ebay, as this remote comes with its own USB cable that you can use to connect to RMIR. However, it's only a 4 device remote.

It is only a 4-device remote as supplied, but there is an extender that converts it to a 12-device remote together with all the features such as ToadTog that make other extenders so attractive. In case you don't know about extenders, they are simply a piece of software that you install using RMIR, so for the OARUSB04G you don't need anything other than the standard USB cable. BTW If by any chance you do have a machine with Windows 10 and a parallel port, RMIR does work with this combination.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to what Graham said, if you wanted to use the OARUSB04G remote to replace an 8 device remote, with the extender installed, one way you could do it is, you could put your first 4 devices on the regular device buttons (TV, STB, DVD, AUDIO) then you could put the next 4 devices on shifted device buttons, where "shifted" means, you tap the SETUP button before tapping the device button. So it is an extra step, but it buys you 4 more device buttons. If you wanted another 4 devices, bringing the total to 12, you could use the shifted versions of the 4 colored buttons, as they're right below the device buttons.

Of course, these are just suggestions, with an extender you're pretty much free to configure the remote how you want.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob is not quite right. With the extender, one of the keys (List actually, not Shift) is used to give access to the extra 8 devices. Each of the 4 device buttons acts for 3 devices, by pressing on its own and with one or two presses of List before the device button. Similarly the two activity buttons (Watch TV and Watch Movie) become 6 activities with use of the List key.
bison15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Problem with Samsung BluRay device upgrade on a RCA RCU810 Reply with quote

The issue is resolved. Rob was correct I did not copy the upgrade protocol over to IR which caused the problem. It's been 10 years since I used the program and forgot about the upgrade protocol. I'd like to thank all responders for the input. I have decided it's time to upgrade and move to Windows 10. The machine I used to program is normally a Window 10 Pro Quad 3.1 Ghz with 16 Gigs of Ram. I kept an old 80 Gig IDE with XP installed and would change the boot sequence to switch OS. This process took about 5-7 minutes every time I switched so the upgrade. This makes the switch to the newer version of JP more attractive. I had considered switching to the Logitech Harmony 665 remote and purchased a test unit. What I don't like about this unit is that when I had it learn the discrete codes for my 8 port HDMI switch, it would not let me assign the number keys 1-8 for each position but forced me to use the 4 generic buttons on the sides of the display screen and forced me to keep scrolling through the screen to get to the desired input. The X10 functions are even more of a nightmare. It assigned 4 screen selections for each of the 15 devices. I will consider looking into the renotes recommended in this thread. Thanks again to all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: