JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OARUSB04G corrupted?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pogo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: OARUSB04G corrupted? Reply with quote

I've been away for a while -- so I guess I've become one of those members who only posts when he has a problem!

I bought an OARUSB04G a year ago, and have enjoyed using it. Decided I'd do a couple of tweaks so I downloaded the latest version of RM. Plugged in and attempted a download. Got "No remotes found" running on Macbook Pro with lastest Java download. Checked intrface selection -- Auto-select was on but I noticed that there was no selection for JP1 USB?

Loaded RM on Windows VM. Selection for JP1 USB was available so I selected it. Connected the remote -- same result "No remotes found"

In native Mac or Windows VM the remote mounts as VOXX4 drive and can be browsed.

I thought I'd just give Simple Set a try. Upload failed with message "file type is incorrect".

I did a factory reset in desperation. Same results. The remote is functional and can be programmed manually.

Any ideas at all are welcome. I'm up a stump.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't select JP1 USB. That's not what this remote uses. You have to pick Auto Detect then do Download.

With simple set, the filename has to be "settings.bin", not settings(1) or anything else. There is no upload involved, just copy the bin file from explorer onto the VOXX drive.
pogo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Don't select JP1 USB. That's not what this remote uses. You have to pick Auto Detect then do Download.

With simple set, the filename has to be "settings.bin", not settings(1) or anything else. There is no upload involved, just copy the bin file from explorer onto the VOXX drive.

Thanks for the response. I only tried JP1USB because nothing else was working -- including simple set. I finally noticed the Restore Remote (DUH) link on Simple Set, and that did the trick. There apparently really was something wrong with my settings.bin file.

Only working with RM on my Windows VM, however. It'll get me by, but not optimal. I prefer going native when possible. I think I'll try removing RM and Java -- and start over from scratch.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a problem with RMIR recognising the OARUSB04G on recent versions of Linux. For details see this thread:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102592

I don't know how close Mac OS X is to Linux but I believe they are related, so that thread may help you as well. I think the main question is whether the OARUSB04G shows up as a mounted drive when you connect it to the Mac. If it does, RMIR should work. If it does not, is there a way for you to manually mount it as a drive? If so, mount it and then RMIR should work.

Please post here the result of any tests of this sort, even if you cannot get it working, as it may help other Mac users in future.
pogo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a mount Problem. The Drive auto mounts as VOXX4REMOTE. I can read and write to settings.bin with simpleset with the drive mounted on the Mac system, but RM doesn't detect it. I'll let you know if I ever figure anything out.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know it is not a mount problem. I would like to find out what the problem is, so I have posted development version RMIR v2.12.9 in the RMIR Development folder on SourceForge. This has additional diagnostics for Mac OS X with a SimpleSet remote that will print in the rmaster.err file. I would be pleased if you could download this version, attempt a download of your OARUSB04G with it and post the rmaster.err file from that attempt for me to look at.

Here is one more thing for you to try. The interface for this remote is JPS. If you select Remote > Interface > JPS you will see that Auto-detect is selected. Instead, select Other and add the full path to the settings.bin file, including the filename, in the text box. For example, on my Linux system this value is

/media/urc6440/settings.bin

which is where the drive is mounted. Press OK and see if the remote then downloads.
pogo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:

Here is one more thing for you to try. The interface for this remote is JPS. If you select Remote > Interface > JPS you will see that Auto-detect is selected. Instead, select Other and add the full path to the settings.bin file, including the filename, in the text box. For example, on my Linux system this value is

/media/urc6440/settings.bin

which is where the drive is mounted. Press OK and see if the remote then downloads.

Gave it a try. No /media folder on the Mac. Drive mounts as an external usb drive in /Volumes -- Path to settings is /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin.

Tried entering the path -- still no love. "No Remotes Found".
I'll go get the development file. Thanks again. Bill
pogo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded rmaster.err from RMIR 2.12.9. Interface was set outodetect

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26275
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, that is exactly what I wanted. However, the result is very puzzling to me. Near the end it says:
Code:
Found settings.bin at /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
File not found: /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin

The first of these shows that settings.bin is actually found, so what does the second line mean? I've looked up the possible causes of this second message, and since the file does exist it apparently means that something is preventing the file from being opened for reading.

At this point in the code, it has done everything that is Mac-specific. It is here doing exactly the same as it would be doing in Windows or Linux, simply trying to open the file for reading. The specific Java line is:
Code:
in = new FileInputStream( filePath )

where filepath is as found above. As this succeeds in both Windows and Linux, it isn't a property of the file within the remote, so it must be something Mac-specific. Do you have any idea what this might be? If not, we need a Mac expert to help us.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

Found settings.bin at /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
File not found: /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin

Probably the file exists, but cannot be read.

Bill, please try
Code:

ls -l /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
wc /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
mount | grep VOXX4REMOTE

from the command line (with the remote mounted), and post the output. What is your exact MacOS version? ("About this Mac").
pogo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OS version is Catalina 10.15.7

Terminal output:

pogo@Bills-MacBook-Pro ~ %
ls -l /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
wc /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
mount | grep VOXX4REMOTE
-rwxrwxrwx 1 pogo staff 117107 Jul 30 2013 /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
516 8450 117107 /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
/dev/disk2s1 on /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE (msdos, local, nodev, nosuid, noowners)
pogo@Bills-MacBook-Pro ~ %

Bill
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, the results look OK.

Try selecting "Remote -> Interface -> JPS..." then select Other and fill in /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin explictly; make sure there are no trailing spaces.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, on my ancient Mac Mini (from 2009, with OS 10.11.6) and a URC6440, it works!, probably since the remote is mounted automatically as /Volume/OFA REMOTE.

However, on my Linux box (Fedora 33), it does not work (unless give the full pathname of settings.bin, as described above). Looking at the code, in JPS.java, in both cases it is very non-robust code -- as seen from the results in this thread.

I rewrote getSettingsMacOSX() and getSettingsLinux() to be more robust, found here, in the hope that Graham will include it. I am happy to check it in myself, if requested.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post development build RMIR v2.12.10 shortly, with Barf's rewrite of JPS.java. On the earlier suggestion, I believe Ben has already tried giving the full pathname to settings.bin explicitly. Doing so simply goes more directly to the "new FileInputStream" line so I would not expect this to make a difference. It will be interesting to see if the rewrite solves the problem.
pogo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I will post development build RMIR v2.12.10 shortly, with Barf's rewrite of JPS.java. On the earlier suggestion, I believe Ben has already tried giving the full pathname to settings.bin explicitly. Doing so simply goes more directly to the "new FileInputStream" line so I would not expect this to make a difference. It will be interesting to see if the rewrite solves the problem.

Thanks. Be glad to try it. Meanwhile, I've been pursuing the possibilty of an issue with my Mac installation. I'll take a day, since it will entail creating a disk image and doing a clean install. Note "pogo" in the bash prompt above. Unfortunately my home folder is "bill". I just copied settings.bin to the pogo's home folder, and ran RMIR from there.
Result below:

Port Name = /Users/pogo/Documents/settings.bin
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Testing interface: CommHID
Testing interface: JP2BT
Testing interface: JPS
Interface matched. Trying to open remote
Path to settings.bin given as /Users/pogo/Documents/settings.bin
Port Name = /Users/pogo/Documents/settings.bin
Opened on Port /Users/pogo/Documents/settings.bin
Interface opened successfully

Looks like I've got a user issue with my installation. Sigh. Thank you for your help. I don't know how many times I've used terminal and never hit upon the significance of the prompt. It'd be nice if I can find a way to unravel the user confusion with out starting over. I know when it happened.. but not sure why. Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: