JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Non-IR remotes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl_Boekelheide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Non-IR remotes Reply with quote

This is a bit off topic, I suspect, but I am looking for some method to merge IR remotes with the newer radio based remotes. I have a trusty old RadioShack remote that controls all my IR devices. But, I have a couple remotes that use some sort of radio signal. They are a TIVO Roamio and an Amazon FireStick.

Does anyone know of any programmable devices that would do both methods? I'm getting tired of having 3 remotes. My trusty RadioShack 15-2117 does radio to a simple repeater. It would be beyond wonderful if that radio signal could be tuned to whatever the TIVO and FireStick use.

I have a feeling this is really hard because I found a device that claimed to control IR and a FireStick. It's solution turned out to be a physical slot into which you slid your FireStick remote. When you want to control the FireStick you turn the thing over and push the buttons FireStick which is hanging on the back. It looked really clunky and funny.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RF box that comes with the 15-2117 won't control other RF devices.

More info on the Amazon Firestick here, looks like you need the Inteset device:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101513

According to the following thread, the Tivo Roamio uses the standard Tivo IR codes:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15117
Karl_Boekelheide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. Your comments lead me to discover CEC. I get to eliminate the FireTV remote by using the pass-through of the TV. It looks like TIVO might respond to IR. I'll try a device table for it and see what happens. The remote I have uses bluetooth. I don't know why TIVO would have an IR receiver in addition to bluetooth.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably for cases like this, where someone wants to use a universal.
Karl_Boekelheide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the suggestion, Rob. The TIVO Roamio does have an IR receiver in it. I'm back down to a single remote that covers 7 devices including the TIVO and a TV which drives a FireTVstick through CEC.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done
Karl_Boekelheide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: CEC commands Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob

With everything connected I'm now looking for information about Vizio TV's and their use of CEC. It appears that the TV decides, based on what state it's in, to either take commands from the remote or pass them on to my FireTVstick on the HDMI. There are a few commands that the FireTV's remote has on it that aren't on the Vizio remote. I'm wondering if Vizio takes all the commands from the remote and "translates" them into what it thinks is appropriate for the FireTV or does it just pass through what it doesn't act on itself?

What I'd like to do is send commands to the TV that would cover the 6 functions that are on the FireTV remote but not on the Vizio remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using an upgrade to control your Vizio TV? Assuming you've already tried all the buttons that are on your Vizio remote, best I can suggest is that you try all the button codes for the upgrade that AREN'T on the remote. What I mean by that is, look for the gaps in the OBCs and try those gap OBCs.

If you're still with me but need advice on how to test the gap OBCs, let me know. Unless someone who knows about Vizios and CEC jumps in with more solid advice.
Karl_Boekelheide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, Rob. I do understand what you’re saying. Since I think there are almost 200 buttons to try I was trying to do something a little more easily.I’ve got a message into the person who added a few discrete codes to see if he had some method for figuring it out.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that person discovered discrete codes, that how he did it. Most of the experts here regularly cycle through all 256 codes for new devices to check for secret codes. It takes me about 10 minutes.
Karl_Boekelheide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I did the try every code method. I found all sorts of interesting stuff but not a HOME or MENU that was passed through CEC. I think it's probably OK because I discovered that some of my problems I was hoping to fix with a HOME were due to my not understanding the TV and it's use of CEC. Anytime the TV is showing its own status it won't pass commands to CEC. I've learned if I wait until the TV has nothing on the screen other than the HDMI signal things work better.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl_Boekelheide wrote:
Right, Rob. I do understand what you’re saying. Since I think there are almost 200 buttons to try I was trying to do something a little more easily.I’ve got a message into the person who added a few discrete codes to see if he had some method for figuring it out.
They're aren't really very many to test. Of the 256 possible codes, 161 are already known and in this upgrade, all of which I found the hard way:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12755

CEC isn't ever really going to give you full control. You need to buy the Inteset dongle if you want to do it all.
Karl_Boekelheide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment and file reference. I did it the hard way for the Vizio TV I have and didn't find what I wanted but do understand their lame implementation of CEC better now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: