JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Getting started with JP1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Getting started with JP1 Reply with quote

Split from here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102712

So I bought this OARUSB04G on ebay for $13.99 plus tax for $14.97

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-FOR-ALL-OARUSB04G-4-Devices-In-1-Universal-Smart-Remote-Control-Easy-Program/362956608426?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super, when will it arrive? So finally, after holding out for about 20 years, you'll finally be in the JP1 club !!! And it's actually quite a cool little remote too.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was purchased after your last post and just before mine, so it hasn't shipped yet, says the Friday the 12th.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get it, let me know if you need any help getting up and running with JP1. This is a learning remote, so if you ever need to know what signals are being sent by any of your OEM remotes, all you need to do is learn the signals using the OARUSB04G and then download it, RMIR will show you the codes.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know the secret handshake that allows me to open files on this site. Smile I originally thought it webtv way back when that I couldn't open the files, then my win7 computer couldn't either, nor my win10 I have now. Sad
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew you couldn't download from here. The thing that trips up most newbies is that you do have to be logged on in order to download, I had to implement that because webbots were downloading all my files and tripping my bandwidth limits, but I assume you are logged on. I have no idea if it would work in WebTV but I don't expect that any of the JP1 tools would work on WebTV either, but it definitely should work on all of your computers. Which browser are you using? The screenshots below are taken using the Chrome browser on Windows 10 (64 bit).

Could you please give specifics on what issues you are having on the computers? For starters, when you go to a specific file, do you see a Download button?

Last edited by The Robman on Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can download it, and it shows under downlands in my documents. But when I go to open it I always get a box saying:

"How do you want to open this file?"

"Look for an app in the microsoft store"

There's a box with a check in it, next to it it states:

"Always use this app to open ;rmdu files

Then There's clickable OK

It always fails to find the software needed to open it. Sad
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see, ok, first things first, download RM/RMIR from the following link, it's delivered as a zip file, so create a folder under your My Documents called RM and unzip it there, then once it's all extracted, look for a file called setup.vbs and run that. That should set everything up and create 3 shortcuts. I recommend that you rename the 3 shortcuts as follows:

rmdu --> a RM
rmir --> a RMIR
rmpb --> a RMPB

That way the shortcuts will be at the top of your RM folder. Feel free to copy them to your desktop too, if you like.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13325

So, with regards to files that you download, I'm guessing these will mostly be device upgrade files, in which case they will either be *.rmdu files or *.txt files. The rmdu files should open automatically in RM. The txt files were created by an old spreadsheet that I invented, they can be opened using RM but they won't automatically fire up RM because they're text files.

The RM tool is for editing or creating upgrades.
The RMIR tool is for communicating with your remote.
The RMPB tool is for editing executors, so don't worry about that one for now.

When you get your OARUSB04G remote, the first thing you can do is, fire up the RMIR program, connect the remote using the supplied USB cable, and click download in RMIR (the Download button is the DOWN arrow pointing to a folder, the Upload button is the UP arrow coming from a folder, they're the 5th and 6th buttons from the left, if you hover over the buttons with your mouse, there is a display that tells you what they are, if you forget).

Once you've established that you can connect to the remote, have some fun with it. Take the remote and learn a few signals from an OEM remote then re-connect it and download, then go to the Learned Signals tab and see what the learns look like, you will see the protocol, device codes, OBCs and EFCs. Next, see if we have an upgrade file for any of your devices, download it, then from RMIR, go to the Devices tab, click New, click Open, select the downloaded file, then go to either the Buttons or Layout tabs and re-arrange the buttons to suit your taste, then click OK, assign it to a device button, reload and give it a whirl. I'm dying to hear what you think of it, given that you've been a remote expert for so long and have never tried JP1, it's like the Holy Grail.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Setup and setup.sh but no setup.vbs ?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in there:

MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess its been rename just Setup.

Anyways I got a box saying the shortcuts were not created because javew.exe was not found.

This is a Win 10 pro 64 bit Dell mini pc 9020. I installed a fresh 250 ssd drive.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have the option set where Windows doesn't show you certain file extensions, and it sounds like you don't have Java installed, which I thought was pretty much installed as standard these days, but maybe not.

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/windows_manual_download.html

Edit: Yup, I just unselected "File name extensions" and the .vbs portion disappeared, so now you know where it is if you want to re-enable it.

MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They showed up on the START screen under recents, but there is no way to rename them beginning with an A?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for them in your RM folder, using File Explorer (aka Windows Explorer), then just right-click, select Rename, and enter the new name. You can also click on the item a second time (not 2 quick clicks) and that will take you into rename mode.

I have modified my Setup.vbs file so it does the rename automatically, here it is if you'd like a copy:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26274

MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered 3 roku tv remotes from China on the March 3rd, received them today. Where I ordered the OFA remote on Mar 5 from SF, Ca, and still haven't received it, looks lilke it will be here Monday. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: