JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1.2/3 Interface not working with RMIR 2.12.8
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloneman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: JP1.2/3 Interface not working with RMIR 2.12.8 Reply with quote

I have not used (a) this forum or (b) my "Tommy Tyler" JP1.2/3 USB cable for a several years. I still use my Atlas 11055 and 11056 remotes regularly. Today I installed RMIR 2.12.8 on two Windows 10 machines. When I tried to download s from the remotes I got "error downloading from remote" messages. As a test I installed IR (8.04) and I was able to use the cable to upload and download to and from the remotes.
Do I need a newer type cable to use RMIR? If so, I suppose I could configure my device upgrades in RMIR and then copy and paste the hex code from the ouput tab into IR like the "old days".
Any thoughts?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the rmaster.err file from a failed download in the Diagnosis Area of the File Section, then post a link to it in this thread. You will find this file in your RMIR installation folder, but you need to close RMIR first before copying the file.

It would also be helpful if you could include the setup of your remote saved with IR8.04 as a .ir file. If you can do that, you might also try loading that .ir file into RMIR, as RMIR can read files saved with IR.exe. You should not need a new cable, as Tommy Tyler's USB cables all have FTDI chips, which are the preferred chips for use with RMIR.
cloneman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response mathdon. My first time posting files to the Diagnosis area. Hope I did it correctly:

Raw download (rmaster.err) file from RMIR 2.12.8:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26249

Sucessful download from IR 8.04:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26250

Cheers, Glen
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to install RMIR in a my documents folder. The program doesn't have rights to write to a folder off the root.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloneman wrote:
My first time posting files to the Diagnosis area. Hope I did it correctly:

You posted it correctly, but I don't understand what you have posted. It is the rmaster.err file from a successful raw download, which of course does not show any problem. What I wanted was the rmaster.err file from a failed normal download, as you said originally that when you tried to download from the remotes you got "error downloading from remote". I would still like to see this, though I cannot understand how a raw download can succeed when a normal download gives an error.

mdavej wrote:
You need to install RMIR in a my documents folder. The program doesn't have rights to write to a folder off the root.

So I have heard, but on my development machine I have 16 versions of RMIR, each installed in a folder off the root and they all work. It seems to work for him, too, as I presume that is where the rmaster.err file was. I have another, very similar, PC on which what you say is true but that is the first PC in the years I have been involved in JP1 that I have come across that behaviour. Do you have any idea what setting in the PC causes this, as I have never done anything to turn off that behaviour. I was not even aware of it till last year when I came across it on my new 2nd PC.
StefanR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

I have installed here the RMIR in the "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder and i'm using a account without local admin rights.

In this case the program don't work, the solution is to grant some rights. This can by easy done with one command:

1. Open a CMD, Command Prompt or PowerShell as Administrator or log in as Administrator.
2. Enter this command:
    icacls "C:\Program Files (x86)\RMIR" /grant "*S-1-5-32-545:(OI)(CI)M"
With this command the "modify" right will be added to the folder for the group "Users".

I entered here the SID S-1-5-32-545 wich is the local group Users, because when using a localized Windows version this can be different, here in germany the group "Users" has the name "Benutzer". But the SID this is everywhere the same...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StefanR wrote:
mdavej wrote:

I have installed here the RMIR in the "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder and i'm using a account without local admin rights.

In this case the program don't work, the solution is to grant some rights. This can by easy done with one command:

1. Open a CMD, Command Prompt or PowerShell as Administrator or log in as Administrator.
2. Enter this command:
    icacls "C:\Program Files (x86)\RMIR" /grant "*S-1-5-32-545:(OI)(CI)M"
With this command the "modify" right will be added to the folder for the group "Users".

I entered here the SID S-1-5-32-545 wich is the local group Users, because when using a localized Windows version this can be different, here in germany the group "Users" has the name "Benutzer". But the SID this is everywhere the same...
You can grant all the access you can think of but still miss java having the correct rights. Just install it where I said and it will work. I've seen this issue a million times.

Last edited by mdavej on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
StefanR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have java installaed as administrator and have no issues with using this as a normal user...

Last week i made a new clean installation of my PC and with the above i have no issues.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but our advice for the regular user is to install RM in a "My Documents" folder and avoid all those potential issues.
cloneman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Right, but our advice for the regular user is to install RM in a "My Documents" folder and avoid all those potential issues.

I had no problems installing Java or RMIR but I will try this.Thanks to all for your advice.
cloneman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
cloneman wrote:
My first time posting files to the Diagnosis area. Hope I did it correctly:

"You posted it correctly, but I don't understand what you have posted....."

When I try to download in RMIR 2.12.8 the "error downloading from remote" message tells me to do a raw download and post it to the diagnosis area. When I got your response suggesting I post the rmaster.err file I must have confused the two processes. I have uploaded a new version of rmaster.err after a bad download. (same URL)

I also did a raw download in RMIR 2.12.8 and posted it separately.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26254

- Glen (cloneman)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a bad keymove on CBL/PhantomB that has no hex code in it, this appears to be what's causing RMIR to choke. I have deleted that keymove and saved a valid RMIR file for you here:

You might want to take this opportunity to clean up your file too, as I see several keymoves and macros on phantom buttons that I don't see how you can access. You also have an upgrade (DVD/1234) that isn't programmed to a device button and isn't used in keymoves.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26257
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overlapping with Rob, I also have investigated the reason your remote failed to download. My fix of it, also as a .rmir file, is here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26258

My file differs from that of Rob. I do not know why, as we seem to have done the same thing in removing the bad keymove, so you might like to try both to see if there is something missing in one of them. I would not have posted mine if they had been the same, but as they differ, I thought it would be worth doing.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, here's what I did.
1. First, I opened his file using IR.exe,
2. deleted the bad keymove
3. Cleaned upper memory
4. and saved it.
5. Then I tried opening it with RMIR, which worked,
6. and then tried saving it as an RMIR file, which didn't work.
7. So, instead, I saved it as another IR file,
8. then opened that using RMIR and tried saving it as an RMIR, which worked, so that's what I posted.
cloneman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Graham, here's what I did.
1. First, I opened his file using IR.exe,
2. deleted the bad keymove
3. Cleaned upper memory
4. and saved it.
5. Then I tried opening it with RMIR, which worked,
6. and then tried saving it as an RMIR file, which didn't work.
7. So, instead, I saved it as another IR file,
8. then opened that using RMIR and tried saving it as an RMIR, which worked, so that's what I posted.

Hi Rob and Graham:
Awesome, both files worked in RMIR and I am now able to upload and download to my Altlas 1056B01. I still have the exact same error message downloading to my wife's remote (Altas 1055 with learning).

Edit - March 1 2012 - I have posted 2 files for "Atlas 1055 with learning":

(1) Raw download from RMIR 2.12.8:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26264

(2) rmaster.err from RMIR 1.12.8:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26265

Cheers, Glen (cloneman)

Last edited by cloneman on Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: