JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

6440 remote creating multiple keystrokes when macro runs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wkeith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: 6440 remote creating multiple keystrokes when macro runs Reply with quote

I have recently got a new TV for our kitchen - only 19" available was Bush from Argos. I use both SKY and Virgin on it so have SKY through component (as I amplify the volume because output from SKY box is pretty puny) and Virgin through HDMI. In order to make changing input reliably I have built macros which change the input to digital TV by using the Channel up button, then use the down button to go down the input menu the required number of steps. Unfortunately the macro results in three down keystrokes for each down in the macro and the same for up.
Is there a way to stop this? I tried learning the keystroke rather than using what is in the 2239 code but that doesn't help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were on the right track with learning the signals, but rather than using the conventional learning method of holding the source button until the JP1 remote has successfully captured it, you should try using very short presses of the source button, the idea is to capture one instance of a non-repeating signal.

I would recommend learning the signals to shifted versions of the buttons, so as not to interfere with normal remote use, then just use the shifted versions in your macros.
wkeith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks.

I'll give that a go - I was trying to press as quick as possible.

As we never use any of the TV controls apart from volume and on/off that's not really an issue but thanks for the hint.
wkeith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggling to get this to work - is there any way of editing the signal to stop the repeat?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post your RMIR file and I'll take a look.
wkeith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks

File uploaded to Diagnosis area

Cheers
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have edited your file, I've converted the learns to one iteration, changed them to be shifted, and modified the macros to use the shifted buttons.

I've made 2 attempts at changing the learns, just in case the first way still repeats one too many times. I replaced the first file that you loaded with the first attempt, and the 2nd file with the second attempt.

File #1
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26198

File #2
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26199

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
wkeith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I'll give them a go when my better half leaves the kitchen!

Thanks for that - I'd only expected guidance on how to edit, not that you would do it!

Keith Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a lot quicker for me to just do it than to teach you what to do and how to do it. I still can if you're interested.
wkeith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of them worked - thanks very much. FYI the bush upgrade I used switched the volume +/- with the channel +/- so that is why I learned them as well. Because I use volume punch through I need to have them on the actual buttons, not shifted. There's maybe another bush upgrade available that isn't transposed but I stopped looking when I got one that did enough.

I'm retired now so have plenty of time so I would be interested in knowing how you edited it - I have a techie IT background and like to know how things work!

Thanks again Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there's not exactly a standard for documenting learned signal formats, the Pronto hex format is a close to a standard as we have, so when you try editing a learned signal in RMIR it's best to select that format.

If you want to do some major reading on IR formats in general, go here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/infrared/index.shtml

But to cut to the chase for your signals, they use the NEC1 format, which is one where the main data part of the IR signal gets sent once, then if the button is held, they just send the lead-in and lead-out pairs with no data. This is different from the NEC2 format where the data portion gets sent repeatedly while the button is held.

In Pronto hex format, the data is displayed in 4-digit words, where the 3rd word is the count of "sent once" data and the 4th word is the count of "repeating" data. The data is in hex, so 0022 means 34 in decimal.

A normal NEC1 signal starts with the following: 0000 006B 0022 0002, which means it has 34 pairs of "sent once" data and 2 pairs of "repeating" data. If you simply change this to 0000 006B 0024 0000, it will send everything once and will not repeat. This is what I did for the Rob1 file. For the Rob2 file, I changed it to 0000 006B 0022 0000 and deleted the last 2 pairs.

Your original learns of AV and CH+ showed up as NEC2, so the first 4 words of those where 0000 006B 0000 0022.

You'll notice I'm using the term "pair" to refer to the data and this might not make immediate sense to you, if you haven't read up on IR signals yet. Basically, IR signals are pairs of ON and OFF times. An NEC signal will typically have +550 ON and -550 OFF for logical zero, and +550 ON and -1650 OFF for logical one. We use + for ON and - for OFF. In Pronto hex, they don't have + or -, there they just alternate between ON and OFF, so all the odd numbered words are ON times and all the even numbered words are OFF times.

So how was that, too high level or too deep, or hopefully just right? Smile
wkeith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much - perfect!

And thanks again for your help and for all the JP1 stuff.

I've been using the applications for years, first with OFA 7562's and lately with 6440's to save having multiple controls for TV, Satellite and Cable and to make switching between them easy. The macros and learning made it easy to build user proof solutions which keeps my wife happy as she is technology agnostic, and quite reasonably just wants things to work.

Have a Happy New Year when it comes. This will be the quietest Hogmany in Scotland ever. 2021 will be better than 2020 I'm sure!

Thanks again.

Keith
wkeith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again

I noticed that the volume up and down weren't repeating when button held down - It looks like you edited these learned signals too - I've just relearned them but after reading up the links you sent I now know why and could have edited them back!

Cheers
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed all the learned signals were for use in navigating menus, so I edited them all but switched them to shifted buttons so as not to interfere with normal use.

If you are learning buttons for normal use, you should probably explain why, because there's usually a better way to do it.
wkeith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob

Understandable

As I tried to explain (!) the code used (2239) switched:-

1: the volume up and channel up buttons; and
2: the volume down and channel down buttons.

All the other buttons worked as expected and I thought learning was the easiest option. I guess I could have edited the upgrade file to move things around but as memory space wasn't an issue didn't think of going down that road.

Thanks for all your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: