JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does such a remote exist? IR plus BT or wireless?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8nagel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Do you really need all those streaming devices? I understand you're using your own Firestick rather than the apps on the smart TV because it's your roommate's TV. But don't Roku and Chromecast do the same thing as the Firestick?

Not being critical, just trying to reduce the complexity of your system. So here's what I would do in your situation:

- Disconnect the Chromecast and Roku, and connect the Firestick directly to the TV, then use optical out from TV to opt in to your Oppo.
- Connect PC directly to TV

Now you can remove the HDMI switch entirely and use the optical out from the TV for PC, Firestick and OTA

You can blame HBO Max for this crapshow!

I started off with just a Roku.

Then I bought a Chromecast because it was the only way I could watch HBO Max unless I hooked my laptop directly to the TV.

Then I bought a Fire Stick because HBO Max introduced support for the Fire Stick and it was on sale.

Then after I got everything all set up, HBO Max finally introduced Roku support. So now we've come full circle, and I wish I could get the money back that I spent on the Chromecast and Fire Stick and just buy a new Roku Ultra instead.

I think I'd still want two HDMI inputs into the Oppo however even if I did simplify. reason being that way I'm getting the audio directly from the source rather than relying on the TV to take HDMI audio and then spit it back to the Oppo through the Toslink optical connection. I guess I just trust the Oppo's ability to process the audio more than I do the TV's.

The stupid thing is though I have a very similar lash up in the living room but with a circa 12 year old Vizio TV and it's working absolutely perfectly. Only real pain was having to create upgrades for the BDP and the receiver (an old Sony surround receiver, pre-HDMI but did have Toslink digital input)

yes, we are cheap, why do you ask? Smile

Anyway I haven't bothered to sit down and start brute forcing those codes but it is on my mental list of things to do when I need a break from work...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. I went through similar with HBO Max. Sideloaded on Firestick for a while.

FYI, I brute force searched all the Insignia Fire TV codes again after seeing this thread and didn't find anything new. But this was on a 43" and 55". I suspect the 32" shares all the same codes with the 43".
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: