JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bell UHF/IR 6.2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackching

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Bell UHF/IR 6.2 Reply with quote

My guess is that we cant do anything with this right?:

http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26153
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any indications that this is a UEI remote, and is this a REALLY old remote?

This has an exposed CPU chip and a separate EEPROM chip, which is the format used for REALLY early JP1 remotes. So, if this is a UEI remote, you can indeed hook a JP1 cable up to it, but notice that I said JP1, not JP1.x, which is the type of cable you are currently using. To use your current JP1.x (FTDI) cable, you would need a JP1 Adapter. Alternatively, if you have a computer that has an old LPT1 printer port, you could make an old "simple" JP1 cable (it just requires 2 resistors and a diode, hence the simple name).

So, even if this is a UEI remote, is it worth the effort?

jackching

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Are there any indications that this is a UEI remote, and is this a REALLY old remote?

This has an exposed CPU chip and a separate EEPROM chip, which is the format used for REALLY early JP1 remotes. So, if this is a UEI remote, you can indeed hook a JP1 cable up to it, but notice that I said JP1, not JP1.x, which is the type of cable you are currently using. To use your current JP1.x (FTDI) cable, you would need a JP1 Adapter. Alternatively, if you have a computer that has an old LPT1 printer port, you could make an old "simple" JP1 cable (it just requires 2 resistors and a diode, hence the simple name).

So, even if this is a UEI remote, is it worth the effort?

I cannot confirm that it is UEI and is probably not worth the trouble. Even though it is currently in use and I would have like to add some devices to it, I probably wont bother trying. Is there such thing as a universal UHF remote?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a user manual for the remote, and if so, do the setup codes look like UEI setup codes? If you can find a remote online that looks like yours, please post a link to the photo, or take a photo and post it, and if you can find a link to a copy of the user manual, I can check if it sounds like a UEI remote.

Assuming it is, you evidently have the skills to solder wires to make a connector, so I can tell you how to hook one up. I would just need you to read off the chip number so I can look up its pinout. One of the wires will go to the RESET line of the main chip, the rest will go to the EEPROM chip.

And then, of course, given that this would be a JP1 remote, you would either need one of those adapters, or you would need an old computer that has a printer port. I know you have the ability to make a printer port JP1 cable.

As for the RF remote question, there has been some development in recent years but I haven't really kept up with it, so someone else would have to jump in that question.
jackching

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pics of the remote:
http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26154
I can't find the manual for the life of me. It comes with a 9242 bell receiver.
I'm still deciding whether or not i want to play with this a whole lot.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The user manual:
https://www.mydish.com/filestream.ashx?ID=3044
found by Googling bell uhf/ir 6.2

The setup codes are all 3 digits. It is not a UEI remote.
jackching

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
The user manual:
https://www.mydish.com/filestream.ashx?ID=3044
found by Googling bell uhf/ir 6.2

The setup codes are all 3 digits. It is not a UEI remote.

Perfect. Saves a lot of trouble
ckeays

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackching wrote:
I would have like to add some devices to it, I probably wont bother trying.

The remote you have transmits RF/IR ONLY for the Bell receiver. It transmits only IR for all the other devices.
What you can do is use a UEI infrared remote and move the receiver to the same room as all other devices. I use an atlas 1056B03, You can find them used on kijiji, look for a rogers cable box remote, they are easy to find.
There are upgrades in the download section to use a UEI remote for the dish (bell in your case, same thing exactly) protocol. Then easily add the other devices using the JP1 software. These Bell remotes are old and the codes for newer devices may not work.
Since my Bell receiver is in another area of my house I use a homemade IR repeater only for the bell.
If you need any help, just ask. I have the files readily available i can send them to you or upload. (you will need the remote address from the system info screen)
jackching

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckeays wrote:
jackching wrote:
I would have like to add some devices to it, I probably wont bother trying.

The remote you have transmits RF/IR ONLY for the Bell receiver. It transmits only IR for all the other devices.
What you can do is use a UEI infrared remote and move the receiver to the same room as all other devices. I use an atlas 1056B03, You can find them used on kijiji, look for a rogers cable box remote, they are easy to find.
There are upgrades in the download section to use a UEI remote for the dish (bell in your case, same thing exactly) protocol. Then easily add the other devices using the JP1 software. These Bell remotes are old and the codes for newer devices may not work.
Since my Bell receiver is in another area of my house I use a homemade IR repeater only for the bell.
If you need any help, just ask. I have the files readily available i can send them to you or upload. (you will need the remote address from the system info screen)

Yes i thought of that option when i was originally hooking it up but it is a bedroom receiver and the television is mounted to the wall. There is no room for a stand under the tv because we walk there all the time. The receiver is also a dual tuner hooked to two televisions. It wouldn't be worth while doing this because I have it in the basement now running two different TVs by means of two RF remotes.
ckeays

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My receiver is installed in the basement just to eliminate clutter, and I use a homemade wired IR repeater.
You can buy replacement UHF remotes, however they don't work well with newer TV's and other Infrared devices (or better, the codes are obsolete).
Looking at the picture you uploaded the UHF key is missing on the remote. The plastic insert at the bottom of the remote is not there. The remote won't work if the key is not present. My remote has the black key for UHF only as I have an older receiver.
I got tired of replacing the UHF remotes. (the wife drops the remote almost daily) so i went for IR remote. It's cheap and works on all of my other IR equipment.
If you are thinking of using an infrared repeater you should know that the frequency of this remote is 57 KHz in satellite mode. Not all infrared repeaters work well at this frequency, they usually work at or around 38 KHz. This is why I made my own.
You can build a wireless one, i got the idea from this like here:
http://www.markwylie.ca/2013/11/bell-dish-network-ir-to-uhf-pro_2.html
jackching

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckeays wrote:
My receiver is installed in the basement just to eliminate clutter, and I use a homemade wired IR repeater.
You can buy replacement UHF remotes, however they don't work well with newer TV's and other Infrared devices (or better, the codes are obsolete).
Looking at the picture you uploaded the UHF key is missing on the remote. The plastic insert at the bottom of the remote is not there. The remote won't work if the key is not present. My remote has the black key for UHF only as I have an older receiver.
I got tired of replacing the UHF remotes. (the wife drops the remote almost daily) so i went for IR remote. It's cheap and works on all of my other IR equipment.
If you are thinking of using an infrared repeater you should know that the frequency of this remote is 57 KHz in satellite mode. Not all infrared repeaters work well at this frequency, they usually work at or around 38 KHz. This is why I made my own.
You can build a wireless one, i got the idea from this like here:
http://www.markwylie.ca/2013/11/bell-dish-network-ir-to-uhf-pro_2.html

That quote about the missing key shows that you dont know what your talking about. The remote works fine without the key. It's just to prevent the switch on the bottom of the remote from being moved by people with nosey hands. I had to remove the key because the switch setting had to be moved for dual RF setup on one receiver so they would not conflict with each other. I didnt have a replacement key for that switch setting.
ckeays

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackching wrote:
That quote about the missing key shows that you dont know what your talking about.

Why do you feel you need to insult someone who is trying to help you? You could have said that I was incorrect which is what most people do.

here read this, pages 2 & 3:

Yes the key switches the switch you mentioned, but if you don't have the right key you could try and guess which position the switch could be in. My remote would not work without the black UHF key (because of the older receiver I mentioned) .
jackching

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckeays wrote:
jackching wrote:
That quote about the missing key shows that you dont know what your talking about.

Why do you feel you need to insult someone who is trying to help you? You could have said that I was incorrect which is what most people do.

here read this, pages 2 & 3:

Yes the key switches the switch you mentioned, but if you don't have the right key you could try and guess which position the switch could be in. My remote would not work without the black UHF key (because of the older receiver I mentioned) .

My apologies. Im having a bad day. Wasnt just you i insulted haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: