JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with remote that comes with Bose Solo soundbars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Help with remote that comes with Bose Solo soundbars Reply with quote

Hi,

I wonder if anybody can create an RDF for my remote?

I've uploaded a zip file to:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26139

The zip contains info, the setup codes, a raw download (signature 3572) and a jpg of the remote.

I think the model number is: URC-15S (not absolutely sure, but seen that model-number used on eBay)
The universal remote comes with the Bose Solo soundbars and can control 5 devices. It is a really nice solid remote. It would be a shame if I had to stop using it as it no longer functioned for the latest devices.

I'm not holding my breath though. It can't learn or set macros, so I presume that will make it harder to create an RDF file?

Thanks in advance for any help.

kind regards Robert Smith
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert, I will put together an RDF for you. I will PM you for some additional info that I will need.

The setup codes that you say you programmed don't match what I see in the IR download file, so could you double check your work please.

Just for reference, here is the user manual (the remote section starts on page 19):
https://assets.bose.com/content/dam/Bose_DAM/Web/consumer_electronics/global/products/speakers/bose_solo_5_tv_sound_system/pdf/798493_og_bose-solo-5-tv-sound-system_en.pdf

And here's the setup code booklet:
https://assets.bose.com/content/dam/Bose_DAM/Web/consumer_electronics/global/products/speakers/bose_solo_5_fr/pdf/solo_5_PDF_remote_codes.pdf
mrbob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Sorry I've only just read your reply properly on this thread.
I'm surprised about the setup codes.

Tomorrow I'll reset the remote, enter a different set of setup codes for each device, save a raw download, and then setup the remote again with the original codes, and save a second raw download.

Robert
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a starter RDF:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26142

The main things it's missing still are the button codes and the image map, which I'll do once we have the button codes.

I've put a few easy button codes in there already, like for the numbers, volume and channel buttons, but I'll need your help to get the rest.

Normally, I would ask you to create macros to get the button codes, but as that's not possible, here's what I suggest. See if we have an upgrade file for your TV and load it and test if the numeric buttons work. If they do, the next step is to remove all the button assignments and then assign the numeric functions to the first 10 unlabeled buttons (eg, button9, buttonD, etc), then save that as an upgrade in your RMIR file and assign it to a device button. You can repeat this process, creating new upgrades with the next 10 buttons programmed and assign them to the other device buttons. Then load it up into your remote and test the buttons in each device mode to see which ones send a number to your TV, and then make a note of which was which.

For example, if for the first upgrade, you assign the number "1" to button9, and this is in SAT mode. When you test the SAT mode, if you find that you see a "1" on the screen when you press OK, that means that button9 is "OK", and in the RDF you can add OK=$09.

Does that make sense? Sorry this is so convoluted, but I can't think of another way with a remote that can't be opened and doesn't have macros.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw this remote before: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101156
I carried on an email exchange with Soity for quite some time to try to use this remote with RMIR, but we did not have success. It does not support keymoves or macros. Setup codes which are entered manually from the Bose code sheet are transformed by the remote into typical UEI codes, which we can see with RMIR. Volume punchthrough is seemingly permanently assigned to the Bose soundbar for all devices, and in the 00 segment the normal bytes associated with volume punchthrough are used in this remote to control device Power behavior. We were unsuccessful in uploading any upgrade.

Eventually we abandoned the effort.
mrbob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help and feedback so far.

The RDF file works in that I can see the setup codes, which as 3FG says are typical UEI codes, that have been transformed from the BOSE codes. I've googled and the UEI codes are all correct, for the Brands of the devices.

But I can't seem to do much else at the moment.

That partly, maybe, because I haven't used your software in a while. So what I will do is, I have a couple of One For All remotes that I know work with the JP1 software, will have a play with those first and then when I know what can be done usually, will go back to the BOSE remote and see what I can achieve.

If and when I'll make any process I'll get back to you, in a few days at the earliest.

Thanks again.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a RDF file from 2018 for Rob to compare with his.
http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26147
mrbob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob and 3FG,

I can confirm it isn't possible to upload to the Bose remote.

Thanks for all your help, it is a shame that it seems JP1 doesn't work with the remote but it gives me invaluable information, in that I know the remote is not upgradable and I will now use a One for All universal remote instead and it means I can replace my soundbar.

so it wasn't a waste of time as far as I am concerned.

I did a simple test of resetting the remote (so it had no codes) then trying to upload the original ir file that I had created from the raw download. It didn't accept the upload and just reset the bytes that should have contained setup codes to FF.

I tested the FTDI module/cable that I have with a URC-7145 evolve-4 remote and that uploaded fine, so the cable is working.

So unless your certain there are other things I can try, I am happy to leave it here.

Thanks again, I really appreciate you giving your time.

kind regards Robert
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it seems that 3FG did quite a bit of work with the user he was helping back in 2018 and was never able to get JP1 working with this particular remote.

That being said, if you do end up having no further use for the Bose remote, we could see if any of the JP1 experts would want to get their hands on it to see if it's still possible to get it to do something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: