JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-7880 Bluetooth Connection to Windows 10 Not Working
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the rmaster.err file. It is as I would expect when Search runs but does not find any remotes. My best guess is that Search is working and is picking up the signal from the remote, but RMIR does not recognise it as a UEI remote and so it does not appear in the search display. I have made RMIR able to test for that.

I have posted a zip file in the RMIR Development folder that contains a RemoteMaster.jar to replace that in RMIR v2.12.1. RMIR should then show up as version 2.12.2 in Help > About. This has a new option "Find all Bluetooth" on the Options > Advanced menu. Please select this option and then try searching for the remote. The search box should now list ALL Bluetooth devices that it finds, so you will probably get several that are not UEI remotes. A UEI remote should show up in that box with a name that is some variant of "Smart". My URC7880 shows up as "SmArt", yours may be different. Entries that show with no name, or a name that is not a variant of Smart, should be ignored. If you get one that does have such a name, it would be safe to try to connect to it. This option is deselected whenever you start RMIR, so if you try more than once, you need to select it each time. Note also that this option only works with the BLED112 dongle, so do not try it with the Win10 Bluetooth.

Whatever happens, please post the rmaster.err file that this session gives. That will now also contain the Bluetooth addresses of any devices it finds, for my information.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Here is the rmaster.err file obtained by replacing the jar file as you described: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26117

RMIR found several Bluetooth devices. One had a name that was a variant of "smart", so I chose to connect. The connection was successful and the display on the general tab looked a bit different than what I have been used to. I clicked on "Download from remote", just to see what happened and RMIR warned me that data had changed, so rather than tempt fates, I aborted the download.

Let me know what else I can do to assist you.

Ed
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Ignore "Data has changed", that is data in RMIR memory, the message is sometimes spurious but in any case is just a reminder that you may lose an unsaved setup. No harm can come to the remote from ignoring that message. So go ahead and try a download. The rmaster.err file confirms that it is the remote, signature 606101, and that the connection to the remote was completed so I expect a download to work.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download works! Thanks!

Any next steps? Dare I try connecting using WCL on the Windows 10 Laptop?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows WCL will not work. The new option only affects the dongle. This is because all the code for the dongle is in Java in the main body of RMIR and is easily edited. The corresponding code for Windows WCL is written in C# and converted into a dll file for use by RMIR. I am going to have to learn again how to do that Rolling Eyes , so don't expect a quick fix for Windows WCL. As for the dongle, I am going to have to think about how to handle what we have found. The remote is identified as UEI by a part of its Bluetooth address that identifies the manufacturer. The European remotes URC7980 and URC7955 have a different manufacturer code from that of my URC7880 but I had assumed all URC7880 remotes would have the same code. Apparently that is not so.

The good news is that everything should now work for you with the dongle, provided you select the new option each time and use the SmArt entry. If you just ignore the other entries you can register the remote with RMIR, connect, download and upload as you wish. We have done all the diagnostics, it is now up to me how to handle what we have learned, and it will take some time. But if you have further problems, do please let me know.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again, Graham. I'm happy to help if you need anything from me. Would you like me to try to connect to my other remote to see what code it uses?

For now, it's on to configuring this remote to work for my daughter. She's got a Firestick and an AppleTV which present some challenges I see from other reports here.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Would you like me to try to connect to my other remote to see what code it uses?

Thanks for the offer, but no for now. I'm thinking I may try to identify UEI remotes by the device name being some variant of Smart, if I can think how to do that, rather than by the manufacturer code. I suspect that UEI will not be producing any more Bluetooth remotes, and from your experience the name seems more stable than the Bluetooth address. When I have things sorted, that will be the time to test with both your remotes. I will post here when I have something further for you to test.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, please try development build 4 of RMIR v2.12 which I have posted in the RMIR Development folder on SourceForge. Bluetooth should work with both BLED112 and the Windows WCL interface, and without the need to select the Find All Bluetooth option. In the course of testing, I found that the Windows WCL interface does not work with Java 14 but it does with Java 8. I don't know about versions in between. However, I see from the error files you posted earlier that you are using Java 8, and in fact jre1.8.0_241 is exactly the Java I have tested with, so this should not be an issue. The Find All Bluetooth option still works, and now works also with Windows WCL, but you should not need to use it.

Please try it and report back, as for obvious reasons I have not been able to test it with a remote that has the same manufacturer code as yours.
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your continued support.

It will be a few days before I have access to the remotes again. My daughter is using them, but I do have a few more tweaks to make to them. I should get to that toward the end of this week, and I'll be able to test the development build when I do.

I have registered both of them, so they pop up immediately in RMIR without having to do a search. I assume that I will need to de-register one of them, then search again to re-find it, using both the BLED112 and WCL, with the development build of RMIR.

If my understanding is correct, I'll post back here with my results in a few days.

Ed
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
I have registered both of them, so they pop up immediately in RMIR without having to do a search. I assume that I will need to de-register one of them, then search again to re-find it, using both the BLED112 and WCL, with the development build of RMIR.

No, when you start a search the names of registered remotes get grayed out. When search finds them, they turn back to black. So you can tell if search is working without deleting them.

No hurry, but out of interest did you set them up with a cable or with Bluetooth?
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No hurry, but out of interest did you set them up with a cable or with Bluetooth?

I used Bluetooth exclusively once I got it working. I needed to take my laptop to my daughter's house and I didn't want to mess around with the cable and fiddle around trying to install the "old" driver in Windows 10. (I previously bit the bullet on that process with my desktop.)

Every now and then after the remote was "found" using "search", it would fail to connect. All I did in that case was try again and usually it connected right away on the second try. I think once I needed to try connecting three times before it connected successively. Once connected, I never had a problem with uploads or downloads.

I really like the convenience of the Bluetooth connection and wish we could see more of it in future remotes. There are some things about this remote that I don't really like, and I plan to document them elsewhere when I finishing configuring them.

Thanks again for your help, and I'll post back when I try out the new development build.

Ed
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Every now and then after the remote was "found" using "search", it would fail to connect.

I found that happening, too. I think it was a timing issue and I have added a short delay in the current build that has lessened the problem, at least in my testing. Let me know if it has helped for you, too, when you do your further reconfiguration. I am very pleased to hear that you used Bluetooth for doing your setup, as it is nice to know it works in "real life" as well as in testing.
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Ed, please try development build 4 of RMIR v2.12 which I have posted in the RMIR Development folder on SourceForge. Bluetooth should work with both BLED112 and the Windows WCL interface, and without the need to select the Find All Bluetooth option. In the course of testing, I found that the Windows WCL interface does not work with Java 14 but it does with Java 8. I don't know about versions in between. However, I see from the error files you posted earlier that you are using Java 8, and in fact jre1.8.0_241 is exactly the Java I have tested with, so this should not be an issue. The Find All Bluetooth option still works, and now works also with Windows WCL, but you should not need to use it.

Please try it and report back, as for obvious reasons I have not been able to test it with a remote that has the same manufacturer code as yours.

Hi Graham,

I did some more work on configuring the remotes for my daughter last night, and I did some tests with 2.12.4. My results were a bit inconclusive, I think, and you might want me to run some additional tests. Regardless here are my results.

I opened RMIR 2.12.4 and attempted a "search" using the BLED112. I did not choose the "Find all Bluetooth" advanced option. The previously-registered remotes were shown when I pressed the blue Bluetooth button, and when I pressed "Search", they were greyed-out. Search produced two remotes immediately and the previously-registered names disappeared. I selected one, then downloaded from the remote, and got the correct image.

Then I went back and selected WCL as the interface and pressed the blue Bluetooth button. I didn't record if the previously-registered names appeard, but when I pressed "Search", RMIR did not return any results. Perhaps notably, the main window of RMIR did not contain the "Searching..." message either.

I should have saved the rmaster.err file at this point, but I didn't do that. Instead, I proceeded to do my remote tinkering on her two remotes for a couple hours, opening and closing RMIR several times in the process. When I got finished with the tinkering, I realized I needed the rmaster.err file so I decided to fire up 2.12.4 again and go through the process more methodically. The rmaster.err file is here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26136

The results I got were curious. This time, neither the BLED112 nor the WCL interface worked. When I clicked "Search", I got the "Searching..." message when I used BLED112, but I did not get that message when I used WCL. Neither interface produced any search results. I repeated the tests several times, pressing "Activities" and "Device" to put the remote in "discovery" mode for both WCL and BLED112 and also invoking the "Find all Bluetooth" advanced option for both WCL and BLED112. Pressing "Activities" and "Devices" seemed to have no effect for either interface, but using the "Find all Bluetooth" option produced correct search results using BLED112. It had no effect when I selected the WCL interface.

My apologies if I've confused things. Let me know if you need me to re-run any tests. I can probably get up to my daughter's house again in a week or so.

Ed
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, Ed. The results are disappointing, but the one bright feature is that you did, once, find your remotes with the dongle without selecting Find all Bluetooth. That at least shows that my new algorithm for determining if a Bluetooth device is a UEI remote does work. Unfortunately there is nothing of use in the rmaster.err file. It is not complete, so does not include any diagnostics from the search process. Perhaps you copied the file while RMIR was still open. It needs to be copied after you have closed RMIR for it to include all diagnostics.

I will try to reproduce your testing myself, as closely as possible. You have certainly given me something to go on, as your account is very detailed as to what you tried and what then happened. I will get back to you after doing my further tests.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stand by and await further word from you, Graham.

I checked rmaster.err after running my tests and it was full of information. The only thing I can think of is that I may have opened RMIR 2.12.4 before I posted rmaster.err and that cleared it out. I was being very careful about that, though, and I deliberately made 2.12.4 inconvenient to access -- no shortcut on my desktop. I did run 2.12.2 a couple times before I posted the file. Could that have cleared out rmaster.err for 2.12.4? They reside in different directories.

If I don't hear from you before I see my daughter again, I'll re-run the test, save off the error file and post it again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: