JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR v2.12 available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMIR v2.12.7 is now officially released. This is the first release since v2.12.5 as build 6 was for development purposes only. The main change is the addition of text to a saved Raw Download that provides initial data towards the construction of an RDF. Anyone who intends to ask for a new RDF to be created for a remote should install this build and use it to create the raw download file that will be asked for to assist in the RDF creation. In addition, two new RDFs have been added, the revised Setup.vbs in build 5 has been modified so that it no longer makes assumptions about the form of the JAVA_HOME value and a few minor bugs have been fixed.

Please report any issues by posting in this thread.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMIR v2.12.8 is now officially released. I apologise for a new release so soon after v2.12.7 but a fix has become available for an issue that seemed insoluble, so I feel it is worth releasing immediately.

The issue concerns the Windows WCL interface that enables uploading and downloading of Bluetooth-enabled remotes with the Bluetooth support built in to Windows 10. Until now, that interface did not work with Java 11 and higher. The issue lies not with RMIR itself but with jni4net, a support program that is incorporated into RMIR. An update to jni4net has now become available that removes this limitation. Build 8 of RMIR v2.12 incorporates this update, so that the Windows WCL interface works with all Java versions supported by RMIR, which are Java 8 and all later versions. Please note that Bluetooth communication with the BLED112 dongle already works with all supported Java versions and is not affected by this change.

There is one other change also in build 8. This is a minor fix to the text provided in a saved Raw Download that provides initial data towards the construction of an RDF. This text was first provided in build 7, and as with that release, anyone who intends to ask for a new RDF to be created for a remote should install this build and use it to create the raw download file that will be asked for to assist in the RDF creation.

Please report any issues by posting in this thread.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With latest setup.sh, I get
Code:
Your Java version has been read as 11.0.\nJava versions 11 and later can scale RMIR to make it easier to read. 
Note that some JVMs do not support scaling, others only support integer values.
To use scaling, please enter a scale factor (such as 1.5), else just return.
Scale:

which is probably not what was intended (\n). Fix: use -e option for echo (which expands escapes).
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bengt

This must be implementation-dependent as it displays as intended on Ubuntu 20.04, which is why I did not come across this in testing. I will use the -e option in the next build.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On testing, I found that -e is not recognised as an option in Ubuntu 20.04. I changed
Code:
echo "${msg2}$[msg4}"
to
Code:
echo -e "${msg2}$[msg4}"
and the first line was output as
Code:
- e Your Java version has been read as 15.0.

I see that "man echo" says
Quote:
NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo, which usually supersedes the version described here.
I take it that is what is happening with Ubuntu. So instead I have put an explicit newline in msg1 and msg2, so
Code:
msg2="Your Java version has been read as ${ver}.
"
with msg1 similarly. I have tested it on Ubuntu and it works. I hope it will work on all systems.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia says
Quote:
Because of these variations in behaviour, echo is considered a non-portable command on Unix-like systems[22] and the printf command (where available, introduced by Ninth Edition Unix) is preferred instead.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengt, thanks for the reference. I have removed all newlines and instead have a series of one-line echo statements, as you have used in your installation script. That should remove all implementation-dependent features.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another suggestion:

Please use getWritableFile for summaryFile (line 6861 of RemoteMaster.java), just as errorsFile and propertiesFile do. Alternatively, use Java's File.createTempFile. (Or use createTempFile in getWriteableFile?)
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
Please use getWritableFile for summaryFile (line 6861 of RemoteMaster.java), just as errorsFile and propertiesFile do.

The purpose of getWritableFile(...) is to handle the situation where RMIR is installed in a read-only folder. It was introduced by Greg to allow this possibility. RMIR now no longer supports installation in a read-only folder, its installation instructions specifically say that it must be unzipped into a folder that is not read-only. I do not know how getWritableFile(...) behaves in an OS other than Windows, but in Windows it creates the file in an obscure folder where an uninitiated user (such as me, for this purpose) is unlikely ever to find it.

Why do I not want this to happen? When users have problems with RMIR, the first thing they are asked is often "please post the rmaster.err file that you will find in your RMIR installation folder". I do not want to have to change that to "please post the rmaster.err file that you will find buried in some obscure OS-dependent folder". I have never attempted to maintain the functioning of RMIR installed in a read-only folder. The summaryFile is only one of a number of features that do not work from such a folder. The support for XSight remotes is another, for example. Many features do work, but that does not make it a bug when others are found that do not do so. I am sure that all issues caused by installing in a read-only folder can be solved with sufficient effort, including the rmaster.err one, but I see no reason to do so when it works perfectly happily as it is when installed in accordance with its instructions.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, are you able to test from within RMIR if it is installed in a read-only folder?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Graham, are you able to test from within RMIR if it is installed in a read-only folder?

Yes, once it is installed. That is what getWriteableFile does, it only creates the file in an obscure folder if the installation folder is read-only. I might be able to make Setup.vbs and its Linux equivalent test for this and give a message if the folder is read-only. I haven't investigated doing this, but will if you think it worth while.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are to assume that some people will just blindly install it in a Programs folder or some other such place which is read-only, I think RMIR or Setup.vbs (or both) should alert the user to this.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you are to assume that some people will just blindly install it in a Programs folder or some other such place which is read-only, I think RMIR or Setup.vbs (or both) should alert the user to this.

I will do both. RMIR will give a warning message on startup but will then continue, the setup script will give a message and then exit without completion. If you want a different behaviour, just say so please. As far as I can recall, there have been very few issues that could be traced to installation in a read-only folder.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've got it covered then, I've always had my copy of RMIR installed in a JP1 folder under My Documents, so I've never seen any of those messages myself. And I don't recall trying to solve any problems in the forum from folks who have installed it in a read-only, so no need to fix what ain't broke.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I've never seen any of those messages myself.

The messages I was describing don't yet exist in any issued version. I was saying what will be in the next build. Sorry for any confusion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: