JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can't get IR and Remote to connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Can't get IR and Remote to connect Reply with quote

I get this error message:

i_am_jim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a white USB cable I bought a while back.

This is a Comcast remote. I programmed it about 2 years ago. Some buttons are intermittent. I have an identical remote to replace it. All I think I have to do is import the stuff from my current remote and send it to the replacement. I am trying to download from the current one.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, give RMIR a try using the ebay cable you got. I see from some old posts you had a cable from DIY that didn't work. So make sure you're not trying to use that one.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what I said that left that impression. I've had 3 cables the first was a serial cable. It was a pain so I got a USB cable which worked great but I lost it. I got a cable that didn't work and a replacement that didn't work from DIY. I bought my current one from another vendor ?? and it has always worked.

I programed the unit that now has intermittent buttons with this cable.

NOTE: this post has been edited to correct errors caused by my bad memory

Last edited by i_am_jim on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:31 am; edited 5 times in total
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 Comcast remotes that look just alike.

A The one with the intermittent buttons
B Another that is the same model as A above
C One that looks like the other two but I can't get the blink-back to produce a number. The #1 button yields a two but after that I get no numbers.

Unit C connects to IR.exe and I can download the settings. A & B produce the error message in my original post.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR.exe is an old program that hasn't been maintained in years, so I don't think anyone is going to put too much effort into determining why it isn't working for you. That's why Dave suggested that you try RMIR, which is a current program and is constantly being maintained.

The fact that remotes look the same means nothing, they can be completely different internally, especially with OEM remotes like your Comcast remotes. The fact that your A and B remotes do connect confirms that your cable is fine (this wasn't obvious from your earlier posts).

I suspect that your C remote is a newer model that is built on a platform that IR.exe doesn't support but that RMIR does, like the URC-1067BC4 perhaps. In the event that RMIR also cannot connect to your C remote, we would ask that you post a copy of the rmaster.err file that it will generate to the Diagnosis Area folder and then post a link to it here.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, here comes Rob to save the day.

My problem was as you said. I had a version of IR from long ago and had not deleted it. I didn't remember (remembering isn't an 85 year old's forte) the last time I did this I used RMIR.

I downloaded and installed the latest version. There were several issues. People should be warned to remove all prior versions. When I tried to load previous files they kept finding the older version which kept failing in different ways which I had to run to ground.

It did not put shortcuts on my desktop so I did not (and still don't) know how to start the program. But, once I worked the issues out my previous files loaded into it. Each time Windows asks me what program I want to use but that's really not a problem.

Bottom line, everything worked and I have programed the replacement remote.

Thank you very much!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: