JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is my AR Xsight Color dead?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chileboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Is my AR Xsight Color dead? Reply with quote

I've been using RMIR on a new AR Xsight Color without issue - I've also been using it with my HT system and it's been fine.

Tonight I picked it up, the screen lit as usual, but nothing works. I removed the batteries, it appears to boot normally, but it's still unresponsive. Well, almost - sometimes the Favorites or Activities key will work once, but that's it, it then becomes unresponsive again.

I perused this forum and did a Forced Firmware Update, which went as expected, but didn't solve the issue. So I then did Format and Rebuild, which again executed successfully, but when the remote goes through the initial setup, I can select Language, and sometimes Region, but I never get further than the 12 or 24 Hour Clock selection before it again becomes unresponsive.

I can successfully Upload/Download with RMIR. Also the Xsight onscreen clock is running, so it's obviously conscious.

This was a brand new remote I got on eBay just a couple of weeks ago. It was definitely new, the box had unbroken seals and the plastic protector shields were still on the remote. Also, I tried fresh batteries.

Help.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have rebuilt the entire firmware and software of the remote with the forced firmware update and the format and rebuild, so that should be restored to factory as-new state. So I can't see there being a software problem, which only leaves a hardware issue. It sounds as if it could be a keypad fault, perhaps a broken track on the PCB, but I'm afraid it does look to me as if it is dead. Perhaps others have some suggestions but I can offer nothing further. sorry Crying or Very sad .
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a hard reset using fresh batteries:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Master_Reset_Instructions#For_the_Xsight_Color.2FTouch.2C_Nevo_C2.2FC3:
chileboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Try a hard reset using fresh batteries:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Master_Reset_Instructions#For_the_Xsight_Color.2FTouch.2C_Nevo_C2.2FC3:

I'd already read and tried those procedures. I can't do the Factory Reset as I can't get to the Settings menu...unless there's some way of moving it to the first softkey on the initial screen.

mathdon wrote:
...which only leaves a hardware issue. It sounds as if it could be a keypad fault, perhaps a broken track on the PCB...

Yeah, that's where I'm coming out. Crying or Very sad

What seems really odd to me is that the buttons respond, in the sense that pressing any of the hard or soft keys wakes up the remote. And if I download a configuration and press a hard key, it sends the signals.

How are these constructed? Can they be opened up? I'm wondering if it could be a loose ribbon cable or something. Seems weird that it would develop a broken track, I mean, as I said it was brand new and I haven't dropped it or anything.

I just tried something else, since the Favorites softkey was the only one working, I created a Favorite to select a channel from the cable box. That showed up on the bottom line of the screen, and then that softkey works, even though it doesn't on the Main screen to select Devices (if that all makes sense). So even more confusing.

Is it possible that all of the repetitive programming over the last week or so fried something? I had already found and bought another new AR Color which should be here today, but now I'm afraid to use it.

I had another thought - is there an option in the original software to trigger a factory reset?

Thanks all.
chileboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I think I might simply have a key that's sticking. I uploaded my last configuration and experimented at length and some keys would work sporadically, but I discovered that periodically when watching the red "sending signal" indicator at the top of the softkeys screen would just stay on - like I was holding down a key. Sometimes I could make it stop by pressing softkey 1 - the only one that usually works - but not always.

I can't quite figure out which key (or keys) it is, but the Devices hardkey seems to trigger it pretty reliably.

I tried smacking the remote onto my hand - gently! - but no go. Also compressed air.

I suppose it could still be a flaky connection or something else failing intermittently.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd try to get a refund or replacement from the seller. Just tell him it died in the first week and to please send another or a refund. I've owned lots of these over the years and none has failed the way you describe. I've seen individual buttons wear out, touchscreen failures and partial or complete LCD failures.

You can crack them open along the seam, but not without breaking some or all of the clips. I think there may be a couple of screws you have to remove first. The button dome contacts are surface mounted to the main board. The only ribbon cable is the one that connects the screen to the main board. If it were loose, I think the screen would look strange.

You could try loading one of my files to see if there's something about yours that's causing this behavior.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13513
chileboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
If I were you, I'd try to get a refund or replacement from the seller. Just tell him it died in the first week and to please send another or a refund.

I've sent a message, but no response as of yet. It was flagged as "Returns not accepted" in the original listing, and it's a small private seller, so I doubt he has another.

Quote:
You can crack them open along the seam, but not without breaking some or all of the clips. I think there may be a couple of screws you have to remove first.

I did find the procedure here but I'm leery about doing that for obvious reasons. I've done it a lot with the old MX's and as you said it's nearly impossible without breaking the clips.I got "pretty good" at it with those remotes but...

Quote:
You could try loading one of my files to see if there's something about yours that's causing this behavior.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13513

I did, but same symptoms. I didn't think that was it, since I was able to Format and Rebuild - hence no programming at all - and that didn't fix it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried working each button to see if you can determine if one of them is somewhat stuck and needs releasing?
chileboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Have you tried working each button to see if you can determine if one of them is somewhat stuck and needs releasing?

Yes, extensively. Nothing definitive, seems to be either one of the lower softkeys or the hard selection keys (i.e., Home, Menu, Info, Devices).

I'm now noticing that when it's plugged into my PC and USB Connection is displayed, the screen periodically illuminates like a key is being pressed. Never noticed that before.

EDIT: I see it also illuminates randomly when not plugged in. I never noticed because I've been taking the batteries out when I wasn't messing with it.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chileboy wrote:
Is it possible that all of the repetitive programming over the last week or so fried something? I had already found and bought another new AR Color which should be here today, but now I'm afraid to use it.

As far as I know, it is not possible for your programming to have fried something. I wrote the RMIR support for the XSights and the development involved far more intensive work with my two, a Touch and a Color, than you have done and they are both still absolutely fine.

Quote:
is there an option in the original software to trigger a factory reset?

Yes. From Home page do Settings > Reset. You then get a page that says "Press below to reset" with a button named Reset. Do NOT press that button, but instead enter 9 8 1 at the keypad. The button name changes to Factory Reset. Now press it.

The factory reset it does, however, is less thorough than either the forced firmware upgrade or the format and rebuild options that you have already done.
chileboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
chileboy wrote:

As far as I know, it is not possible for your programming to have fried something. I wrote the RMIR support for the XSights and the development involved far more intensive work with my two, a Touch and a Color, than you have done and they are both still absolutely fine.

Ok. I guess I was wondering if the relatively-old circuitry could be physically (electrically) stressed by repeated re-flashing.

mathdon wrote:
Quote:
is there an option in the original software to trigger a factory reset?

Yes. From Home page do Settings > Reset. You then get a page that says "Press below to reset" with a button named Reset. Do NOT press that button, but instead enter 9 8 1 at the keypad. The button name changes to Factory Reset. Now press it.

The factory reset it does, however, is less thorough than either the forced firmware upgrade or the format and rebuild options that you have already done.

Actually I was referring to the original software that comes on CD (and I've never installed) with the Xsight. I can't get to the screen you describe because the buttons to get there don't respond Wink

Thank you!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chileboy wrote:
Actually I was referring to the original software that comes on CD (and I've never installed) with the Xsight.
That's a dead end and the main reason Graham went to all the trouble to make RMIR work with Xsight. The CD software relies on connecting to a web site that no longer exists. It might make a nice coaster. These remotes would have become doorstops 9 years ago if not for JP1.
chileboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
chileboy wrote:
Actually I was referring to the original software that comes on CD (and I've never installed) with the Xsight.
That's a dead end and the main reason Graham went to all the trouble to make RMIR work with Xsight. The CD software relies on connecting to a web site that no longer exists. It might make a nice coaster. These remotes would have become doorstops 9 years ago if not for JP1.

Oh, ok, I did not get that. I figured there was at least a minimal stand-alone piece to that software as well.

My Xsight appears to be a doorstop now regardless. Sad
chileboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
If I were you, I'd try to get a refund or replacement from the seller. Just tell him it died in the first week and to please send another or a refund

Well, as it turned out, the seller was very accommodating - he had another used one in good condition and he's sending that out to me and said just keep this one. Not ideal as I paid for a new one, but I'm ok with that. The guy was obviously sincere, and he technically didn't have to do anything.

So, don't worry, I'll be back here soon enough causing trouble again. ;)

Thanks all.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now you can try fixing the bad one without worrying about damaging it, just for the sake of curiosity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: