JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

USB to serial cable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
actu_8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: USB to serial cable Reply with quote

Hi - I have acquired a oneforall 7130-R02 and have found that it won't support my sat receiver. It have downloaded the RMDU file for this box and have dug out an old serial to USB cable I bought years ago but never used.

The cable looks as though it is just a wired usb plug to serial plug with no IC's etc and thus fully software controlled. The CD that came with the cable has 4 folders, dated June 2009, The serial plug has HL-340 embossed upon it.

HL0108
PL2303
R340
Usb-SIM9.0

Before I start cutting up leads and soldering on a makeshift dupont 6 pin connector, am I on a hiding to nothing?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find that there's some circuity in one or both of the plugs, at least that how we usually do it when we make custom JP1 cables. I will let others who know this stuff better than i do say whether what you're trying will work, but my hunch is that it won't.

If you're willing to spend $10 on this, you can get an FTDI cable on eBay from a US seller here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263433221064

Or if you can wait for shipping from China, here's one for $5: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133504206820

(I'm not personally vouching for either of these sellers, I just randomly found these just now).

Connection instructions are here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to what Rob said, I've found that many USB serial cable have transmit and receive pins, but few implement RTS which is needed for JP1.x. If you do some minor surgery and see that RTS is indeed connected, it might work. Another issue is the voltages. Many such cables use signal levels of 5V which is far higher than the 3V remotes use.

It can also be hard finding drivers for PL2303 as most are counterfeit, so the official drivers won't work with them. We have some older Prolific drivers in our file section if you have trouble.

Good luck
actu_8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I have made up the connections and I am recieving this in the error file:

Starting normal download
Interface Name = JP1.X Serial
Port Name = COM10
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Interface matched. Trying to open remote
Port Name = NULL
Failed to open

Is this because RTS is not implemented?

I have wired up the dupont connector as per this page

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/JP1_Cables#FTDI_and_Prolific_cables_on_eBay

So 4 connections are soldered (none of them carrying voltage) to a female D type socket which I've plugged into the usb to serial cable.

Is there an easy way of checking that RTS is not implemented?
actu_8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what the cable looks like. This one has all 9 pins implemented. I cannot be sure mine has, but this is identical to look at.

https://rarecomponents.com/store/1590

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the signal voltage levels on that sort of cable are incorrect for JP1.
actu_8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the correct USB device which arrived today. 30 minutes later, the remote was successfully upgraded.

Thanks for all the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: